Community Discussions and Support
NEED HELP - Mercury (latest) server and Questions about adapting to full use?

MANY (!) thanks. We do already have the 'names' or users set up and all files on the server.

We were only using the outside service to filter and I'm believing we can do as good or better job

internally. I was using F-Prot but will also look at ClamAV for virus - F-prot currently turned off.

I did use the inherent spam filter in Merc but had turned that off as well.

I am not sure about the 'relay' aspects? Will see what I can find... want to lock it all down as tight as

I can without losing mail. Thanks so much for the help!

Doc 

<p>MANY (!) thanks. We do already have the 'names' or users set up and all files on the server. </p><p>We were only using the outside service to filter and I'm believing we can do as good or better job</p><p>internally. I was using F-Prot but will also look at ClamAV for virus - F-prot currently turned off.</p><p>I did use the inherent spam filter in Merc but had turned that off as well. </p><p>I am not sure about the 'relay' aspects? Will see what I can find... want to lock it all down as tight as</p><p>I can without losing mail. Thanks so much for the help!</p><p>Doc </p>

Vague... Sorry. 503C charity has been using Merc for several years. I have just started as their IT and

have used the Mercury interface and like it.

WHAT I want to do:

Currently use a 'mail forwarding/filtering' company that I'm not happy with... they provide about ten IP addresses which I've entered into

Mercury as "allowable" PrimMX servers that we WILL take mail from. Right now our DNS is to their (the filtering company) Servers.

I want to stop using them, make this InHouse Mercury server active in DNS (we have a public IP address that is routable, behind a decent

firewall and Cisco router).

We have 50 users (yes - we will be buying a license). Can Mercury handle that? WHAT changes shall I / should I make to the 'configuration' 

(obviously, remove the 'provided' ten IP addresses, etc).  The 'filtering company' uses a Norton application to 'scan' and 'filter' mail. We lose a lot 

of mail we THINK. Additionally, we get a lot of "Undeliverable local mail" and I am TRYING TO FIGURE THIS out?

Appreciate any help or pointers. Thanks very much!!

Doc 

<p>Vague... Sorry. 503C charity has been using Merc for several years. I have just started as their IT and</p><p>have used the Mercury interface and like it. </p><p>WHAT I want to do:</p><p>Currently use a 'mail forwarding/filtering' company that I'm not happy with... they provide about ten IP addresses which I've entered into </p><p>Mercury as "allowable" PrimMX servers that we WILL take mail from. Right now our DNS is to their (the filtering company) Servers.</p><p>I want to stop using them, make this InHouse Mercury server active in DNS (we have a public IP address that is routable, behind a decent</p><p>firewall and Cisco router). </p><p>We have 50 users (yes - we will be buying a license). Can Mercury handle that? WHAT changes shall I / should I make to the 'configuration' </p><p>(obviously, remove the 'provided' ten IP addresses, etc).  The 'filtering company' uses a Norton application to 'scan' and 'filter' mail. We lose a lot </p><p>of mail we THINK. Additionally, we get a lot of "Undeliverable local mail" and I am TRYING TO FIGURE THIS out? </p><p>Appreciate any help or pointers. Thanks very much!!</p><p>Doc </p><p> </p>

You will need to set up your 50 local users in Mercury (no prob technically but may be laborious to maintain manually - Peter Stromblad posted about some automated admin tools at one stage), then point your DNS MX entry to your external IP.

Presumably you are already using the MercS module to receive  from the filter/forward 3rd party, remove the allow entries for their servers and accept mail from ALL addresses.

Be sure to understand the functioning of the relaying controls, best to use strict anti-relay and have set IP ranges that can relay mail.

The Clamwall daemon (and  separate ClamAV install - read the docs!) will do virus scanning.

The Spamwall daemon does very good spam filtering once trained (read the docs) (or Popfiled if you prefer - I don't).

Check through the options in the SMTP server config. I would start by accepting everything and using any RBL's / filters to TAG ONLY until you are sure any of these methods are rejecting only bad mail.

Merc will give you FULL control of what mail you accept or reject based on what suits your situation.

Your undeliverable local mail is probably spam to non-existent users (e.g ljhfhtdtr@yourdomain.com) that is targeted at domain catchall boxes. If the 'Accept mail for invalid local addresses' box is unticked these will be rejected at SMTP level if the user does not exist on the Merc system, rather than being accepted by the SMTP server then having the error and a bounce generated by the core process.

The help is pretty good, and any remaining questions have probably already been covered on the forum, or just ask [:)]

<p>You will need to set up your 50 local users in Mercury (no prob technically but may be laborious to maintain manually - Peter Stromblad posted about some automated admin tools at one stage), then point your DNS MX entry to your external IP.</p><p>Presumably you are already using the MercS module to receive  from the filter/forward 3rd party, remove the allow entries for their servers and accept mail from ALL addresses.</p><p>Be sure to understand the functioning of the relaying controls, best to use strict anti-relay and have set IP ranges that can relay mail.</p><p>The Clamwall daemon (and  separate ClamAV install - read the docs!) will do virus scanning.</p><p>The Spamwall daemon does very good spam filtering once trained (read the docs) (or Popfiled if you prefer - I don't).</p><p>Check through the options in the SMTP server config. I would start by accepting everything and using any RBL's / filters to TAG ONLY until you are sure any of these methods are rejecting only bad mail.</p><p>Merc will give you FULL control of what mail you accept or reject based on what suits your situation.</p><p>Your undeliverable local mail is probably spam to non-existent users (e.g ljhfhtdtr@yourdomain.com) that is targeted at domain catchall boxes. If the 'Accept mail for invalid local addresses' box is unticked these will be rejected at SMTP level if the user does not exist on the Merc system, rather than being accepted by the SMTP server then having the error and a bounce generated by the core process.</p><p> The help is pretty good, and any remaining questions have probably already been covered on the forum, or just ask [:)]</p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft