Community Discussions and Support
WINMAIL.DAT and Fentun

These are probably ?!*%$# tnef type files generated by MS apps and they *may* contain real attachments, (the winmail.dat is usually useless however). You can retrieve the information in these (assuming they are tnef files - check the content type headers of the message- There should be a header just before the enclosure).

1:  Get a copy of fentun. http://www.fentun.com/

2:  Place it in a directory. (I'll assume that it's in C:\Fentun,
    making the program path C:\Fentun\fentun.exe)

3:  Edit the file 'mime-map.pm' using any text editor, such as
    notepad. This file is located in the same directory as the
    Pegasus executable. (Normally C:\Pmail for a standalone
    installation IIRC - my installation is non-standard so I can't
    double check). This file normally only has 1 entry in it as
    follows: Text/HTML = HTML-text

Add a line following the above line:
    application/ms-tnef = TNEF

What this does is cause Pegasus to check the content type
    headers of incoming messages/enclosures. If it finds one with
    a content type of application/ms-tnef it will generate an
    internal Pegasus 'attachment type information' label of TNEF.
    You can use any label you want here - I chose TNEF because it
    seems logical.  

You can use this mechanism with any other content types that
    Pegasus doesn't have built in support for.  

4:  In Pegasus go to Tools|Options:Viewers Click on the ADD button.
    In the dialogue that comes up select the radio button next to
    '"Attachment-type" information'. In the dropdown box for
    'matches' *type in* TNEF. It will NOT appear in the dropdown
    choices since you have manually created it.

5:  For 'Command to execute' select the 'Run this program' radio-
    button and point it to fentun.exe (ie. C:\Fentun\fentun.exe)

6:  For extension to use for temporary file I use .tnf (don't
    forget the leading .)

That's it. You'll now be able to view the contents of any tnef
attachments (or winmail.dat - which will come up empty 99.9, if not
100, percent of the time) that you get simply by hitting the 'view'
button (which will no longer be greyed out).

NOTE: Instead of steps 4,5, and 6 you can edit the viewer.pm file located in your home directory (viewers are defined per user, not globally) and add the following line to it (note - change the path as required)  

2;TNEF;.tnf;C:\Fentun\FENTUN.EXE

These are probably ?!*%$# tnef type files generated by MS apps and they *may* contain real attachments, (the winmail.dat is usually useless however). You can retrieve the information in these (assuming they are tnef files - check the content type headers of the message- There should be a header just before the enclosure). 1:  Get a copy of fentun. http://www.fentun.com/ 2:  Place it in a directory. (I'll assume that it's in C:\Fentun,     making the program path C:\Fentun\fentun.exe) 3:  Edit the file 'mime-map.pm' using any text editor, such as     notepad. This file is located in the same directory as the     Pegasus executable. (Normally C:\Pmail for a standalone     installation IIRC - my installation is non-standard so I can't     double check). This file normally only has 1 entry in it as     follows: Text/HTML = HTML-text     Add a line following the above line:     application/ms-tnef = TNEF     What this does is cause Pegasus to check the content type     headers of incoming messages/enclosures. If it finds one with     a content type of application/ms-tnef it will generate an     internal Pegasus 'attachment type information' label of TNEF.     You can use any label you want here - I chose TNEF because it     seems logical.       You can use this mechanism with any other content types that     Pegasus doesn't have built in support for.   4:  In Pegasus go to Tools|Options:Viewers Click on the ADD button.     In the dialogue that comes up select the radio button next to     '"Attachment-type" information'. In the dropdown box for     'matches' *type in* TNEF. It will NOT appear in the dropdown     choices since you have manually created it. 5:  For 'Command to execute' select the 'Run this program' radio-     button and point it to fentun.exe (ie. C:\Fentun\fentun.exe) 6:  For extension to use for temporary file I use .tnf (don't     forget the leading .) That's it. You'll now be able to view the contents of any tnef attachments (or winmail.dat - which will come up empty 99.9, if not 100, percent of the time) that you get simply by hitting the 'view' button (which will no longer be greyed out). NOTE: Instead of steps 4,5, and 6 you can edit the viewer.pm file located in your home directory (viewers are defined per user, not globally) and add the following line to it (note - change the path as required)   2;TNEF;.tnf;C:\Fentun\FENTUN.EXE

Hi.

How do I modify the FILETYPE.PM file to add application/ms-tnef in PM?

Just adding "MS-TNEF,0,X,0,.DAT" seems a little simplistic to me.

All .DAT files are not of the ms-tnef type.

Thanks!

François

Hi. How do I modify the FILETYPE.PM file to add application/ms-tnef in PM? Just adding "MS-TNEF,0,X,0,.DAT" seems a little simplistic to me. All .DAT files are not of the ms-tnef type. Thanks! François

Hi Francois,

Did you ever figure out how to handle this?  (I'm having the same problem.)

<P>Hi Francois, </P> <P> Did you ever figure out how to handle this?  (I'm having the same problem.)</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft