Pegasus Mail Suggestions
"special" folders need special treatment when being deleted.

[quote user="Cyrus"]

The only way that I know of to preserve the association between filename and foldername is to empty the folder manually (i.e. message for message) which is a tiresome exercise when there are are (tens of) thousands of messages in the folder.

[/quote]

How about creating a mail filtering rule (set) for this?

Cheers!
Steffan

<p>[quote user="Cyrus"]</p><p>The only way that I know of to preserve the association between filename and foldername is to empty the folder manually (i.e. message for message) which is a tiresome exercise when there are are (tens of) thousands of messages in the folder.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>How about creating a mail filtering rule (set) for this?</p><p>Cheers! Steffan </p>

Because the implementation of Spamhalter requires that the Spam folder's *filename* does not change, "emptying" that spam folder by simply deleting it is no longer possible.

The only way that I know of to preserve the association between filename and foldername is to empty the folder manually (i.e. message for message) which is a tiresome exercise when there are are (tens of) thousands of messages in the folder.

Suggestion 1: *check* if a folder is "special" (i.e. referred to by a configuration setting) before deleting it. If it is "special", then 'delete' it by simply recreating the file with only the folder header (with no messages). Alternatively, delete it first, and then immediately recreate it with no messages. This alternate method preserves the option of salvaging the file if the deletion was accidental.

Suggestion 2: cache the filenames of "special" folders. When moving a message, automatically recreate that folder with the same filename it had before.

Suggestion 3: never ever use filenames to identify folders. Always use *folder* names (even for extensions).

<p>Because the implementation of Spamhalter requires that the Spam folder's *filename* does not change, "emptying" that spam folder by simply deleting it is no longer possible. </p><p>The only way that I know of to preserve the association between filename and foldername is to empty the folder manually (i.e. message for message) which is a tiresome exercise when there are are (tens of) thousands of messages in the folder.</p><p>Suggestion 1: *check* if a folder is "special" (i.e. referred to by a configuration setting) before deleting it. If it is "special", then 'delete' it by simply recreating the file with only the folder header (with no messages). Alternatively, delete it first, and then immediately recreate it with no messages. This alternate method preserves the option of salvaging the file if the deletion was accidental.</p><p>Suggestion 2: cache the filenames of "special" folders. When moving a message, automatically recreate that folder with the same filename it had before.</p><p>Suggestion 3: never ever use filenames to identify folders. Always use *folder* names (even for extensions). </p><p> </p>

To be honest I don't see what your problem is. Is it tiresome to mark all messages per right-click and then to press "delete"?

To be honest I don't see what your problem is. Is it tiresome to mark all messages per right-click and then to press "delete"?

a) yes it is when you have (as I said) tens of thousands of messages in it.

b) yes it is because its inefficient to move messages from one folder

to another when all you really want to do is get rid of them.
c) yes it is when you have non-computer savvy users and/or users who don't frequent empty out their spam folders.

And you probably did not consider that Pegasus Mail also runs "natively" on networks, the users of which just might be simultaneously trying to open their inboxes/spam folders at 8:00 on the first working day after a holiday season.

<p> a) yes it is when you have (as I said) tens of thousands of messages in it. b) yes it is because its inefficient to move messages from one folder to another when all you really want to do is get rid of them. c) yes it is when you have non-computer savvy users and/or users who don't frequent empty out their spam folders. </p><p>And you probably did not consider that Pegasus Mail also runs "natively" on networks, the users of which just might be simultaneously trying to open their inboxes/spam folders at 8:00 on the first working day after a holiday season.</p><p> </p>

Cyrus

I agree that deleting is slow. I try to delete messages from my junk/spam folder more frequently as I have found that deleting too many at a time (about several thousand) may cause the process to jam. 1500 messages do not seem to be a problem (by the way, I use the "Ctrl+a" key combination to highlight all messages of a folder and then delete).

However, deleting is indeed a slow process as after the delete button or key was pressed all messages are copied into "Deleted messages" first, from where they have to be deleted again.[;)]

Suggestions for the next release:

• I would like to suggest a right mouse button option for both "Spam" and "Deleted messages" folders "called "Empty folder" or so, similar to the "Empty recycle bin" in the Windows Explorer.
  • Maybe an adjustable auto delete threshold value may be implemented for the spam folder so that older messages are being automatically deleted (to dev0)?

Cheers

Thomas

Cyrus I agree that deleting is slow. I try to delete messages from my junk/spam folder more frequently as I have found that deleting too many at a time (about several thousand) may cause the process to jam. 1500 messages do not seem to be a problem (by the way, I use the "Ctrl+a" key combination to highlight all messages of a folder and then delete). However, deleting is indeed a slow process as after the delete button or key was pressed all messages are copied into "Deleted messages" first, from where they have to be deleted again.[;)] <b>Suggestions for the next release: </b> <ul><li>I would like to suggest a<i><b> right mouse button option</b></i> for both "Spam" and "Deleted messages" folders "called "<i><b>Empty folder</b></i>" or so, similar to the "Empty recycle bin" in the Windows Explorer.</li><li>Maybe an a<i><b>djustable auto delete threshold value may be implemented for the spam folder</b></i> so that older messages are being automatically deleted (to dev0)? </li></ul> Cheers Thomas

Rather than having a method specifically for "special" folders I would suggest that Shift+Delete actually deletes all marked messages rather than shifting them into the Deleted Messages folder. That would be consistent with Windows behaviour where Shift+Delete actually deletes files rather than moving them to the Recycle Bin.

The execution of such a function would be extremely rapid, particularly if all the messages in a folder had been selected.

Bob

<P>Rather than having a method specifically for "special" folders I would suggest that Shift+Delete actually deletes all marked messages rather than shifting them into the Deleted Messages folder. That would be consistent with Windows behaviour where Shift+Delete actually deletes files rather than moving them to the Recycle Bin.</P><P>The execution of such a function would be extremely rapid, particularly if all the messages in a folder had been selected.</P><P>Bob</P><P> </P><P> </P>

You need to use CTRL-DEL to do that in PM, but I agree it should follow Windows' standard SHIFT-DEL instead.

Best regards,

François

<p>You need to use CTRL-DEL to do that in PM, but I agree it should follow Windows' standard SHIFT-DEL instead. </p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

François,

Thanks - so it does - I'd not spotted it previously - but it is not the same behaviour as Windows Shift-Del.

In Windows you hold down Shift while clicking on Delete to select a real delete instead of Recycle Bin. The resultant popup differs from that when invoking Delete without Shift

In Pmail holding Control while pressing Del has no effect; you have to hold Control when clicking on Yes in the "Are you sure you really want to delete the marked messages" popup.

Bob

<P>François,</P><P>Thanks - so it does - I'd not spotted it previously - but it is not the same behaviour as Windows Shift-Del.</P><P>In Windows you hold down Shift while clicking on Delete to select a real delete instead of Recycle Bin. The resultant popup differs from that when invoking Delete without Shift</P><P>In Pmail holding Control while pressing Del has no effect; you have to hold Control when clicking on Yes in the "Are you sure you really want to delete the marked messages" popup.</P><P>Bob</P>

Sorry, what I meant is to hold the CTRL key while clicking on the DELETE button on the folder toolbar.

Regards,

François

<p>Sorry, what I meant is to hold the CTRL key while clicking on the DELETE button on the folder toolbar.</p><p> </p><p>Regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

[quote user="BobKellock"]

Rather than having a method specifically for "special" folders I would suggest that Shift+Delete actually deletes all marked messages rather than shifting them into the Deleted Messages folder. That would be consistent with Windows behaviour where Shift+Delete actually deletes files rather than moving them to the Recycle Bin.

The execution of such a function would be extremely rapid, particularly if all the messages in a folder had been selected.

Bob
[/quote]

Bob
Yes, I agree. However, similar to the Windows Recycle bin I would still like to opt for an additional context menu option entry (right mouse button) to trash the content of that folder - not everyone would be familiar with the numerous key strokes there are, including myself [:)].
Cheers
Thomas

[quote user="BobKellock"]<p>Rather than having a method specifically for "special" folders I would suggest that Shift+Delete actually deletes all marked messages rather than shifting them into the Deleted Messages folder. That would be consistent with Windows behaviour where Shift+Delete actually deletes files rather than moving them to the Recycle Bin.</p><p>The execution of such a function would be extremely rapid, particularly if all the messages in a folder had been selected.</p><p>Bob [/quote]</p><p>Bob Yes, I agree. However, similar to the Windows Recycle bin I would still like to opt for an additional context menu option entry (right mouse button) to trash the content of that folder - not everyone would be familiar with the numerous key strokes there are, including myself [:)]. Cheers Thomas  </p>

thanks to all who replied. That ctrl-click trick works like a charm.

While that certainly solves my immediate problem, I still think PM should protect its 'special' spamfolder -- at least as long as spamhalter is expecting the folder to have a particular *file*name (and not just foldername).

Thanks again.

Cy 

<p>thanks to all who replied. That ctrl-click trick works like a charm.</p><p>While that certainly solves my immediate problem, I still think PM should protect its 'special' spamfolder -- at least as long as spamhalter is expecting the folder to have a particular *file*name (and not just foldername).</p><p>Thanks again.</p><p>Cy </p>

Well, it looks like there is actually one of the settings which overrules that "Quick delete" function!

If you have "Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes" (under Tools -> Options -> Basic settings -> General settings) ticked, then the "<ctrl>CTRL + Delete" combinations does not work. By the way. After I removed that tick both combination work for me either </ctrl>

<ctrl>"<ctrl></ctrl></ctrl>CTRL <ctrl><ctrl>+ Delete (key)" or </ctrl></ctrl>

<ctrl><ctrl>"<ctrl>CTRL + Delete icon click". </ctrl></ctrl></ctrl>

<ctrl><ctrl><ctrl>Cheers </ctrl></ctrl></ctrl>

<ctrl><ctrl><ctrl>Thomas </ctrl></ctrl></ctrl>

&lt;p&gt;Well, it looks like there is actually one of the &lt;b&gt;settings which overrules that &quot;Quick delete&quot; function&lt;/b&gt;! &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If you have &quot;&lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&quot; (under Tools -&amp;gt; Options -&amp;gt; Basic settings -&amp;gt; General settings) ticked, then the &quot;&lt;CTRL&gt;CTRL + Delete&quot; combinations does not work. By the way. After I removed that tick both combination work for me either &lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&quot;&lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;CTRL &lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;+ Delete (key)&quot; or &lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&quot;&lt;CTRL&gt;CTRL + Delete icon click&quot;. &lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;Cheers &lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;&lt;CTRL&gt;Thomas &lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/CTRL&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

I received more than 200 spam email every day. Pegasus run in a network and the time spended in delete all this files is important.

I agree with the ideas in this topic, but I want to add another one. It's possible to add an option in the folders property about overwrite the default, so you can simple select the low priority folders, change the option and forgot it.

I have configured the span folder with a automatic delete option when you opened it and this small change will make all the process fater

Regards

Angel

&lt;P&gt;I received more than 200 spam email every day. Pegasus run in a network and the time spended in delete all this files is important.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I agree with the ideas in this topic, but I want to add another one. It&#039;s possible to add an option in the folders property about overwrite the default, so you can simple select the low priority folders, change the option and forgot it.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I have configured the span folder with a automatic delete option when you opened it and this small change will make all the process fater&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Regards&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Angel&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Cyrus"]The only way that I know of to preserve the association between filename and foldername is to empty the folder manually (i.e. message for message) which is a tiresome exercise when there are are (tens of) thousands of messages in the folder.[/quote]

Or hit ctrl+A in the list and delete them all at once.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Cyrus&quot;]The only way that I know of to preserve the association between filename and foldername is to empty the folder manually (i.e. message for message) which is a tiresome exercise when there are are (tens of) thousands of messages in the folder.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Or hit ctrl+A in the list and delete them all at once. &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft