Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Wishlist: User interface

[quote user="David Harris"][quote user="lar3ry"][quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"]

UNcheck the box "Mark previewed messages as having been read"

[/quote]

Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message.

[/quote]

I guess the magic question there is "When does that message get marked as read, then"?

[/quote]

For me, in Preview Mode, I'm happy with anything I do after I enter the folder. Mouse click on a header, ENTER key, cursor up/down, etc. That way, I get to see that the message is unread when I arrive at the folder, and have the choice of reading it or going to another (unread or read) message.

It's good to see you responding, David. I hope it isn't going to be too demanding on your time.

Larry

[quote user="David Harris"][quote user="lar3ry"][quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"]<p>UNcheck the box "Mark previewed messages as having been read"</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message. </p><p>[/quote] I guess the magic question there is "When does that message get marked as read, then"? [/quote]</p><p>For me, in Preview Mode, I'm happy with anything I do <b>after</b> I enter the folder. Mouse click on a header, ENTER key, cursor up/down, etc. That way, I get to see that the message is unread when I arrive at the folder, and have the choice of reading it or going to another (unread or read) message.</p><p>It's good to see you responding, David. I hope it isn't going to be too demanding on your time.  </p><p>Larry</p><p> </p><p> </p>

1. Make the "Don't Send" in the spell checker an "obeyed" item. Currently, pressing "Don't Send" after the "Do you want to continue checking from the beginning" dialog appears, only works properly if the user chooses "Yes". If the user chooses "No", the message is sent.

2. In Preview Mode, the tree view of the folders looks like a standard  Windows tree view, but clicking on the + or - symbols to expand or collapse the tree selects the tray.  I'd like to see it only expand or collapse the tree, saving the user from having to remember the differing behaviour and to having to go to the right mouse button to do the job.

3. Again in Preview Mode, when selecting a folder, I'd like to see the highlight land on an email that has already been read, rather than on an unread one. When it is on an unread one, it gets marked as read without my having actually selected it.

<p>1. Make the "Don't Send" in the spell checker an "obeyed" item. Currently, pressing "Don't Send" after the "Do you want to continue checking from the beginning" dialog appears, only works properly if the user chooses "Yes". If the user chooses "No", the message is sent.</p><p>  2. In Preview Mode, the tree view of the folders looks like a standard  Windows tree view, but clicking on the + or - symbols to expand or collapse the tree selects the tray.  I'd like to see it only expand or collapse the tree, saving the user from having to remember the differing behaviour and to having to go to the right mouse button to do the job.</p><p>  3. Again in Preview Mode, when selecting a folder, I'd like to see the highlight land on an email that has already been read, rather than on an unread one. When it is on an unread one, it gets marked as read without my having actually selected it.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="lar3ry"]

3. Again in Preview Mode, when selecting a folder, I'd like to see the highlight land on an email that has already been read, rather than on an unread one. When it is on an unread one, it gets marked as read without my having actually selected it.

[/quote]

Tools | Options | Incoming mail | Preview mode settings

Arthur

[quote user="lar3ry"]<p>  3. Again in Preview Mode, when selecting a folder, I'd like to see the highlight land on an email that has already been read, rather than on an unread one. When it is on an unread one, it gets marked as read without my having actually selected it.</p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> Tools | Options | Incoming mail | Preview mode settings</p><p>UNcheck the box "Mark previewed messages as having been read"</p><p> </p><p> Arthur</p><p> </p>

I think in this case the top "popup" window supersedes the lower window choice that you wanted. It may be a Window thing.

Since I like the traditional view as a rule I don't comment on Preview Mode postings but in your case it strikes me as a matter of preference. May be the solution is to ask David to make this configurable.

<p>I think in this case the top "popup" window supersedes the lower window choice that you wanted. It may be a Window thing.</p><p>Since I like the traditional view as a rule I don't comment on Preview Mode postings but in your case it strikes me as a matter of preference. May be the solution is to ask David to make this configurable.</p><p>  </p>

[quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"][quote user="lar3ry"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message.

[quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"][quote user="lar3ry"]<p> [/quote]</p><p> Tools | Options | Incoming mail | Preview mode settings</p><p>UNcheck the box "Mark previewed messages as having been read"</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message. </p>

[quote user="lar3ry"][quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"][quote user="lar3ry"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess the magic question there is "When does that message get marked as read, then"?

The question of when a previewed message gets marked as having been read has always been vexing: there are lots of suggestions ("after a delay of X seconds", "when the entire body has been displayed", "any time some specific action is taken on the message" and so on), none of which is actually very good.

I'm happy to hear what people think about when previewed messages should be marked "read" - if we can thrash out some method that will suit the greater majority, then I'll happily implement it... But what's there now is what was selected over quite a long development cycle as the least offensive mechanism.

With regard to your second point...  I'll see what I can do about that (I know there were a lot of issues surrounding that behaviour, but without checking the source, I can't give you a more definitive comment than that).

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="lar3ry"][quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"][quote user="lar3ry"]<p> [/quote]</p><p> Tools | Options | Incoming mail | Preview mode settings</p><p>UNcheck the box "Mark previewed messages as having been read"</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message. </p>[/quote] I guess the magic question there is "When does that message get marked as read, then"? The question of when a previewed message gets marked as having been read has always been vexing: there are lots of suggestions ("after a delay of X seconds", "when the entire body has been displayed", "any time some specific action is taken on the message" and so on), none of which is actually very good. I'm happy to hear what people think about when previewed messages should be marked "read" - if we can thrash out some method that will suit the greater majority, then I'll happily implement it... But what's there now is what was selected over quite a long development cycle as the least offensive mechanism. With regard to your second point...  I'll see what I can do about that (I know there were a lot of issues surrounding that behaviour, but without checking the source, I can't give you a more definitive comment than that). Cheers! -- David --

[quote user="lar3ry"][quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"][quote user="lar3ry"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK, but if you open a folder that only contains unread messages, then there will necessary one that gets selected and marked as read.

Maybe the solution would be to select no message at all when a folder is opened and let the user scna the list of available message before selecting any (either with a mouse click or using navigation keys - in which case the "cursor" could be moved up and down and the desired message selected only when the user presses the Enter key. This would allow for a fast keyboard based navigation in a list of message without marking all overviewed, but not really read messages, as read.)
[quote user="lar3ry"][quote user="Arthur van Haarlem"][quote user="lar3ry"]<P> [/quote]</P><P> Tools | Options | Incoming mail | Preview mode settings</P><P>UNcheck the box "Mark previewed messages as having been read"</P><P>[/quote]</P><P> </P><P>Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message. </P>[/quote] OK, but if you open a folder that only contains unread messages, then there will necessary one that gets selected and marked as read. Maybe the solution would be to select no message at all when a folder is opened and let the user scna the list of available message before selecting any (either with a mouse click or using navigation keys - in which case the "cursor" could be moved up and down and the desired message selected only when the user presses the Enter key. This would allow for a fast keyboard based navigation in a list of message without marking all overviewed, but not really read messages, as read.)

[quote user="lsaplai"][quote user="lar3ry"]

[/quote]

OK, but if you open a folder that only contains unread messages, then there will necessary one that gets selected and marked as read.

Maybe the solution would be to select no message at all when a folder is opened and let the user scna the list of available message before selecting any (either with a mouse click or using navigation keys - in which case the "cursor" could be moved up and down and the desired message selected only when the user presses the Enter key. This would allow for a fast keyboard based navigation in a list of message without marking all overviewed, but not really read messages, as read.)
[/quote]

I would not mind at all if a selection was made, and the top message was marked as read, in the case of a folder with all messages unread. This is very easy to see and is very obvious when I enter such a folder.

Where it becomes awkward is when there is one message in a folder that is unread, and a bunch that are already read.. I choose to have unread at the top of the list, so the top message is selected and marked as read when I enter the folder, making it look like all the other messages in the folder (I have unread messages in boldface for ease of seeing what I haven't read).  If I choose to display them in my normal sort order (date, ascending, newest at the bottom), I have other problems, which is why I chose to show unread at the top.

[quote user="lsaplai"][quote user="lar3ry"]<p>Unfortunately, that means that when I do click on a message and read it, it remains 'unread'. I like to see it marked read after I select it. I just don't like to have it marked read when I open the folder and the highlight happens to land on an unread message. </p><p>[/quote] OK, but if you open a folder that only contains unread messages, then there will necessary one that gets selected and marked as read. Maybe the solution would be to select no message at all when a folder is opened and let the user scna the list of available message before selecting any (either with a mouse click or using navigation keys - in which case the "cursor" could be moved up and down and the desired message selected only when the user presses the Enter key. This would allow for a fast keyboard based navigation in a list of message without marking all overviewed, but not really read messages, as read.) [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I would not mind at all if a selection was made, and the top message was marked as read, in the case of a folder with all messages unread. This is very easy to see and is very obvious when I enter such a folder. </p><p>  Where it becomes awkward is when there is one message in a folder that is unread, and a bunch that are already read.. I choose to have unread at the top of the list, so the top message is selected and marked as read when I enter the folder, making it look like all the other messages in the folder (I have unread messages in <b>boldface</b> for ease of seeing what I haven't read).  If I choose to display them in my normal sort order (date, ascending, newest at the bottom), I have other problems, which is why I chose to show unread at the top.</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft