Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Simple addition to the HTML editor

Merci Philippe!

[;)] 

A+

François

<p>Merci Philippe!</p><p>[;)] </p><p> </p><p>A+</p><p>François</p><p>  </p>

Hi.

I'd like to suggest the addition of a button to put an horizontal line into a RTF email.

Should be quite simple to implement, I guess.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

François

<p>Hi.</p><p>I'd like to suggest the addition of a button to put an horizontal line into a RTF email.</p><p>Should be quite simple to implement, I guess.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks in advance.</p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

As far as I can tell, there is no RTF command to draw a line of unknown length. In html the HR command streches dynamically to display or print page size.

So an RTF editor button or menu command would have to invoke an external service with current width information and calculate how many horizontal dashes would be needed.

But I cannot see any simple way to achieve this in MS Word either?

Martin 

<p>As far as I can tell, there is no RTF command to draw a line of unknown length. In html the HR command streches dynamically to display or print page size.</p><p>So an RTF editor button or menu command would have to invoke an external service with current width information and calculate how many horizontal dashes would be needed.</p><p>But I cannot see any simple way to achieve this in MS Word either?</p><p>Martin </p>

Thanks Martin.

I thought PM's RTF was just another name for HTML.

Best regards,

François

<p>Thanks Martin.</p><p>I thought PM's RTF was just another name for HTML.</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

[quote user="François Blais"]

Thanks Martin.

I thought PM's RTF was just another name for HTML.

Best regards,

François

[/quote]

RTF Rich Text Format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format

Has been around since the 80's. To the best of my knowledge the standard is still owned by Microsoft

[quote user="François Blais"]<p>Thanks Martin.</p><p>I thought PM's RTF was just another name for HTML.</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p><p>[/quote] <b>RTF </b>Rich Text Format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format</p><p>Has been around since the 80's. To the best of my knowledge the standard is still owned by Microsoft </p>

[quote user="Nighthawk"]To the best of my knowledge [RTF] is still owned by Microsoft[/quote]

You're quite right.  There are other implementations of RTF.  Over on the Mac, for example, a form of RTF is used quite widely, as it was on OS X's predecessor NeXT.  However, essentially Microsoft do control RTF and can (and do) change it as and when it suits them -- which was the substance of a legal complaint made by Novell against them.

As Rob Wier comments in Those who forget Santayana:

[quote]Note also that Novell is not complaining here about Microsoft's control of the binary DOC format (and its many variations). Instead, what Novell complains about is Microsoft's control over the document exchange format RTF, or Rich Text Format, used in those days to exchange data between word processors. He who controls RTF, controls document exchange, controls vendor lock-in and has the sole means of improving the fidelity of document exchanges. (My emphasis)[/quote]

RTF is not, in any case, a valid format for email communication on the Internet (and should not be confused with text/enriched, which is -- but which is now, effectively, obsoleted by HTML email).  It should never be put "on the wire" -- although Microsoft Outlook (unforgivably) does, thereby (perhaps intentionally) causing problems for non-Microsoft email clients.

But, AFAIK, Pegasus Mail will only ever use RTF for Internal communication in an all-Microsoft environment -- and even then then only when that option is specifically checked in its preferences.

<p>[quote user="Nighthawk"]To the best of my knowledge [RTF] is still owned by Microsoft[/quote]</p><p>You're quite right.  There are other implementations of RTF.  Over on the Mac, for example, a form of RTF is used quite widely, as it was on OS X's predecessor NeXT.  However, essentially Microsoft do control RTF and can (and do) change it as and when it suits them -- which was the substance of a legal complaint made by Novell against them.</p><p>As Rob Wier comments in [URL=http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/12/those-who-forget-santayana.html]Those who forget Santayana[/URL]:</p><p>[quote]<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 14px; ">Note also that Novell is not complaining here about Microsoft's control of the binary DOC format (and its many variations). Instead, [I]what Novell complains about is Microsoft's control over the document exchange format RTF[/I], or Rich Text Format, used in those days to exchange data between word processors. He who controls RTF, controls document exchange, controls vendor lock-in and has the sole means of improving the fidelity of document exchanges. (My emphasis)[/quote]</span></p><p>RTF is not, in any case, a valid format for email communication on the Internet (and should not be confused with [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text]text/enriched[/URL], which is -- but which is now, effectively, obsoleted by HTML email).  It should never be put "on the wire" -- although Microsoft Outlook (unforgivably) does, thereby (perhaps intentionally) causing problems for non-Microsoft email clients.</p><p>But, AFAIK, Pegasus Mail will only ever use RTF for Internal communication in an all-Microsoft environment -- and even then then only when that option is specifically checked in its preferences.</p><p><br class="webkit-block-placeholder"></p>

Thanks for all the explanations.

Now's the time for the stupid question: when will PM be able to send HTML mail?

On the other hand, if MS client that use RTF can read HTML too, how about replacing the RTF encoding by HTML? 

Best regards,

François

<p>Thanks for all the explanations.</p><p> </p><p>Now's the time for the stupid question: when will PM be able to send HTML mail?</p><p>On the other hand, if MS client that use RTF can read HTML too, how about replacing the RTF encoding by HTML? </p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

[quote user="François Blais"] when will PM be able to send HTML mail?[/quote]

It has been able to for many years.  Check the 'Rich Text' button when composing.  It may not be obvious but the option has worked since the early 4.x versions.

<P>[quote user="François Blais"] when will PM be able to send HTML mail?[/quote]</P> <P>It has been able to for many years.  Check the 'Rich Text' button when composing.  It may not be obvious but the option has worked since the early 4.x versions.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Now I'm really confused...

Martin tells me PM sends RTF and Paul tells me it sends HTML, all in the same thread.

[*-)]

Best regards,

François

<p>Now I'm really confused...</p><p>Martin tells me PM sends RTF and Paul tells me it sends HTML, all in the same thread.</p><p> </p><p>[*-)]</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

[quote user="François Blais"]Martin tells me PM sends RTF and Paul tells me it sends HTML, all in the same thread.[/quote]

Ha! I couldn't see anywhere in this thread where Martin said that - I beieve the editor works in RTF, but externally the message goes out as HTML (well, XHTML 1.0 Transitional to be precise).

The help details HTML configuration in the 'Options' sections - 'Message and reply settings' and 'Message formatting preferences', and, as you hinted earlier, sometimes uses 'Rich Text' where it might use 'HTML'.

paul

<P>[quote user="François Blais"]Martin tells me PM sends RTF and Paul tells me it sends HTML, all in the same thread.[/quote]</P> <P>Ha! I couldn't see anywhere in this thread where Martin said that - I beieve the editor works in RTF, but externally the message goes out as HTML (well, XHTML 1.0 Transitional to be precise).</P> <P>The help details HTML configuration in the 'Options' sections - 'Message and reply settings' and 'Message formatting preferences', and, as you hinted earlier, sometimes uses 'Rich Text' where it might use 'HTML'.</P> <P> paul</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Thanks Paul.

So that means my suggestion to be able to add an horizontal line in PM's editor is valable?

Can we get Mr. Harris' opinion on this, please?

Best regards,

François

<p>Thanks Paul.</p><p>So that means my suggestion to be able to add an horizontal line in PM's editor is valable?</p><p> </p><p>Can we get Mr. Harris' opinion on this, please?</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

TER is a rich Text editor (a.k.a RTF)  Everything that comes into Pegasus Mail gets converted into RTF, even Html which goes through an extra process to convert Html into RTF.  On the way out, everything gets converted from RTF to Text and/or Html, depending on your user settings. 

Bearhtml is only used on the incoming side to render html in a viewer. If you reply or forward, the html is then passed through the same conversion process into RTF and presented in a Rich Edit editor.

As I stated before, there is no way to introduce a "HR" equivalent, as the length of the horizontal line is determined at viewing time, not composition time. The only reformatting done in a RTF world is for flowing text to left and right boundaries to allow left, right, or justified text.  I have not yet investigated what happens when Pegasus Mail detects an incoming HR to see what RTF gets generated. (another day...)

Martin 

<p>TER is a rich Text editor (a.k.a RTF)  Everything that comes into Pegasus Mail gets converted into RTF, even Html which goes through an extra process to convert Html into RTF.  On the way out, everything gets converted from RTF to Text and/or Html, depending on your user settings.  </p><p>Bearhtml is only used on the incoming side to render html in a viewer. If you reply or forward, the html is then passed through the same conversion process into RTF and presented in a Rich Edit editor. </p><p>As I stated before, there is no way to introduce a "HR" equivalent, as the length of the horizontal line is determined at viewing time, not composition time. The only reformatting done in a RTF world is for flowing text to left and right boundaries to allow left, right, or justified text.  I have not yet investigated what happens when Pegasus Mail detects an incoming HR to see what RTF gets generated. (another day...)</p><p>Martin </p><p> </p>

So that means my suggestion to be able to add an horizontal line in PM's editor is valable?

[/quote]

Not exactly... *sigh*.  As everyone else has pointed out, the editor used by Pegasus Mail works internally using a format called RTF, but is capable of converting HTML to RTF and RTF to HTML. Unfortunately, as with all conversion processes, some things don't go as smoothly as they might, and generating HTML-style horizontal lines is one of them. Although RTF supports a horizontal line drawing operation, the editor doesn't at this stage know how to convert that to its HTML equivalent. I've raised this numerous times with the developer of the editor, but for some reason it has never happened.

I'd personally love to have the ability to generate horizontal lines, but have simply been stymied by the limitations of the editor. That said, it's been a while since I asked the editor's author about this, so I'll raise it with him again.

Sorry, but that's the best answer I can give you at this point.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="François Blais"]<p>So that means my suggestion to be able to add an horizontal line in PM's editor is valable?</p>[/quote] Not exactly... *sigh*.  As everyone else has pointed out, the editor used by Pegasus Mail works internally using a format called RTF, but is capable of converting HTML to RTF and RTF to HTML. Unfortunately, as with all conversion processes, some things don't go as smoothly as they might, and generating HTML-style horizontal lines is one of them. Although RTF supports a horizontal line drawing operation, the editor doesn't at this stage know how to convert that to its HTML equivalent. I've raised this numerous times with the developer of the editor, but for some reason it has never happened. I'd personally love to have the ability to generate horizontal lines, but have simply been stymied by the limitations of the editor. That said, it's been a while since I asked the editor's author about this, so I'll raise it with him again. Sorry, but that's the best answer I can give you at this point. Cheers! -- David --

Thank you very much for the explanations, Mr Harris.

Very appreciated!

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for your work.

Can we expect a new release in the next months? (general question; not related to my query)

Best regards,

François Blais

<p>Thank you very much for the explanations, Mr Harris.</p><p>Very appreciated!</p><p> </p><p>I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for your work.</p><p>Can we expect a new release in the next months? (general question; not related to my query)</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François Blais</p><p> </p>

Thank you very much for the explanations, Mr Harris.

[/quote]

Well, sometimes it's worth asking these things. I had a discussion with the developer of the TER editor, and he has agreed to modify the TER/HTS source to allow horizontal rules in the generated HTML. I've received the updated code and will be retrofitting it in the next couple of days.

Can we expect a new release in the next months? (general question; not related to my query)

[/quote]

I'm trying to finalize v4.5 for release at the moment - there's a few small bugs still needing to be fixed, a couple of corrections in the new help system, and retrofitting the new versions of TER/HTS. Once that's done and we've done final testing on the code, I'll shoot for a release - if all goes well, sometime in the next three weeks to a month.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="François Blais"]<p>Thank you very much for the explanations, Mr Harris.</p><p>[/quote] Well, sometimes it's worth asking these things. I had a discussion with the developer of the TER editor, and he has agreed to modify the TER/HTS source to allow horizontal rules in the generated HTML. I've received the updated code and will be retrofitting it in the next couple of days. </p><p>[quote user="François Blais"]</p><p>Can we expect a new release in the next months? (general question; not related to my query)</p>[/quote] I'm trying to finalize v4.5 for release at the moment - there's a few small bugs still needing to be fixed, a couple of corrections in the new help system, and retrofitting the new versions of TER/HTS. Once that's done and we've done final testing on the code, I'll shoot for a release - if all goes well, sometime in the next three weeks to a month. Cheers! -- David --

Thank you very much!

This is extremely appreciated!

Will I need to uninstall the french localization (4.41) to install this new version?

Best regards,

François

<p>Thank you very much!</p><p>This is extremely appreciated!</p><p> </p><p>Will I need to uninstall the french localization (4.41) to install this new version?</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>

Hi François

No, it won't be necessary to uninstal the French localization but if you prefer you can do it (but you'll lose the autoreplacement list and the French spell checker). If you don't uninstall the French localization don't forget to inactivate it in the pegasus.ini file or in your shorcut target, depending on how you decided to launch PM in French.

Don't worry, a French localization for the new version will be furbished ASAP (maybe at the same time).

Regards

<p>Hi François</p><p>No, it won't be necessary to uninstal the French localization but if you prefer you can do it (but you'll lose the autoreplacement list and the French spell checker). If you don't uninstall the French localization don't forget to inactivate it in the pegasus.ini file or in your shorcut target, depending on how you decided to launch PM in French. </p><p> Don't worry, a French localization for the new version will be furbished ASAP (maybe at the same time).</p><p>Regards</p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft