Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Wishlist: Saving attachments with Copies to Self

I definitely agree this is something worth reconsidering with how cheap gigabytes of disk space have become.

However, I do want to point out a problem with the "legal proof" comments.. They're worthless. Not only do I do security consulting on this kind of thing, but I had a similar case myself, which was promptly lost because even though I had saved a copy to self, that doesn't prove I didn't fake the copy to self, or create it but never send it, etc. What I had learned to do after that was every email I send out, I automatically Cc: (Well, Bcc: actually) a copy to another one of my email accounts I created for just this purpose. This way, I have proof that the mail got sent (it would have the mailserver's "signature" Received: header added on to prove the mail entered the network.. Failure to deliver beyond that isn't really my problem, I can at least show I DID send it on good faith), plus I get to archive the copy of it (almost) exactly as the recipient sees it, not how the copy to self gets saved (which will likely be different in any case because of the way servers add headers as it passes through the mail system, but may be compounded because PMail saves it slightly different when saved as a copy to self, as well).

Other options you should look into are using S/MIME, PGP or GPG extensions, SecureMail and other methods beyond just PMail as evidence that you really sent the mail, it really originated from you (imagine if one of your dishonest clients forged a mail to themselves pretending to be you and making false claims, statements and other bad things against you..), it wasn't tampered with, etc. Using carefully crafted mails, you can even show the recipient's mailserver received the mail. For example, adding a (B)CC to a fake username that you know will bounce.. Then you'll have a copy of the bounce/failure to deliver notice. It won't prove the recipient downloaded and read the mail, but it will prove that their mailserver had received and seen the mail to at least bounce/reject the invalid address, shifting responsibility to them and/or their providers mailserver. ("You never sent the mail!" "Yes I did, and your mailserver received it; I have the bounced portion right here to prove that it got that far. If they lost it or you never downloaded it, that's your problem..") Relying on return receipts and read mail receipts is pointless, too. Many mailservers and users disable them anyhow.

Unfortunately however, there is no way to prove they received and read it. But at least you can prove you sent it and how far it got before it got "lost", "ignored", "deleted" or whatever, which is beyond your control.

HTH, Merry Christmas!

C. M.

<p>I definitely agree this is something worth reconsidering with how cheap gigabytes of disk space have become.</p> <p>However, I do want to point out a problem with the "legal proof" comments.. They're worthless. Not only do I do security consulting on this kind of thing, but I had a similar case myself, which was promptly lost because even though I had saved a copy to self, that doesn't prove I didn't fake the copy to self, or create it but never send it, etc. What I had learned to do after that was every email I send out, I automatically Cc: (Well, Bcc: actually) a copy to another one of my email accounts I created for just this purpose. This way, I have proof that the mail got sent (it would have the mailserver's "signature" <i>Received:</i> header added on to prove the mail entered the network.. Failure to deliver beyond that isn't really my problem, I can at least show I DID send it on good faith), plus I get to archive the copy of it (almost) exactly as the recipient sees it, not how the copy to self gets saved (which will likely be different in any case because of the way servers add headers as it passes through the mail system, but may be compounded because PMail saves it slightly different when saved as a copy to self, as well).</p> <p>Other options you should look into are using S/MIME, PGP or GPG extensions, SecureMail and other methods beyond just PMail as evidence that you really sent the mail, it really originated from you (imagine if one of your dishonest clients forged a mail to themselves pretending to be you and making false claims, statements and other bad things against you..), it wasn't tampered with, etc. Using carefully crafted mails, you can even show the recipient's mailserver received the mail. For example, adding a (B)CC to a fake username that you know will bounce.. Then you'll have a copy of the bounce/failure to deliver notice. It won't prove the recipient downloaded and read the mail, but it will prove that their mailserver had received and seen the mail to at least bounce/reject the invalid address, shifting responsibility to them and/or their providers mailserver. ("You never sent the mail!" "Yes I did, and your mailserver received it; I have the bounced portion right here to prove that it got that far. If they lost it or you never downloaded it, that's your problem..") Relying on return receipts and read mail receipts is pointless, too. Many mailservers and users disable them anyhow.</p> <p>Unfortunately however, there is no way to prove they received and read it. But at least you can prove you sent it and how far it got before it got "lost", "ignored", "deleted" or whatever, which is beyond your control.</p> <p>HTH, Merry Christmas! C. M.</p>

I would like to see a setting in options for "Save attachments with

copies to self", which could be overridden on an individual email basis.

I

have discussed this extensively on the mailing list, and really don't

feel like defending it all over again, but just wanted to get it onto

this forum, in case that makes a difference to its urgency.

Larry

<p>I would like to see a setting in options for "Save attachments with copies to self", which could be overridden on an individual email basis.</p><p>I have discussed this extensively on the mailing list, and really don't feel like defending it all over again, but just wanted to get it onto this forum, in case that makes a difference to its urgency.</p><p> </p><p>Larry</p><p> </p>

[quote user="lar3ry"]

[/quote]

This isn't a new suggestion - it's been floating around for years. The original reason why I didn't add it was because it was made very clear to me that I'd have a system administrator revolt on my hands if I did so - you would be amazed how quickly the disk space requirements on a loaded server blow out when you have this kind of option. Of course, that was back in the era when disk drives were small and expensive: these days, with terabytes of disk available for a song, it's probably worth revisiting the idea, although definitely as an option, and definitely turned off by default.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="lar3ry"]<p>I would like to see a setting in options for "Save attachments with copies to self", which could be overridden on an individual email basis.</p><p>[/quote] This isn't a new suggestion - it's been floating around for years. The original reason why I didn't add it was because it was made very clear to me that I'd have a system administrator revolt on my hands if I did so - you would be amazed how quickly the disk space requirements on a loaded server blow out when you have this kind of option. Of course, that was back in the era when disk drives were small and expensive: these days, with terabytes of disk available for a song, it's probably worth revisiting the idea, although definitely as an option, and definitely turned off by default. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

[quote user="David Harris"][quote user="lar3ry"]

[/quote]

Of course, that was back in the era when disk drives were small and expensive: these days, with terabytes of disk available for a song, it's probably worth revisiting the idea, although definitely as an option, and definitely turned off by default.

[/quote]

I would certainly agree that the best way would be to have it as an option, and definitely turned off by default. In fact, I think it might be an option protected by a password, allowing only the password holder to change the option.

Thanks,

Larry

[quote user="David Harris"][quote user="lar3ry"]<p>I would like to see a setting in options for "Save attachments with copies to self", which could be overridden on an individual email basis.</p><p>[/quote] Of course, that was back in the era when disk drives were small and expensive: these days, with terabytes of disk available for a song, it's probably worth revisiting the idea, although definitely as an option, and definitely turned off by default. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I would certainly agree that the best way would be to have it as an option, and definitely turned off by default. In fact, I think it might be an option protected by a password, allowing only the password holder to change the option. </p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>  Larry   </p>

IMHO, I agree with Larry.  A lot of my users are asking for this option, because they use Pegasus as a 'document archiving system'. 

For example, they constantly modify the same file and e-mail it to clients. If the client asks questions on last weeks e-mail, the original file has been overwritten.

I personally don't like this way of handling files and data, but what can you do? 

So this option (well hidden and turned off by default) is no1 on my personal wishlist.

Ron 

<P>IMHO, I agree with Larry.  A lot of my users are asking for this option, because they use Pegasus as a 'document archiving system'.  </P> <P>For example, they constantly modify the same file and e-mail it to clients. If the client asks questions on last weeks e-mail, the original file has been overwritten.</P> <P>I personally don't like this way of handling files and data, but what can you do?  </P> <P>So this option (well hidden and turned off by default) is no1 on my personal wishlist.</P> <P>Ron </P>

An obvious option at the moment would be to have a copy go via BCC to your Gmail account.

2.8GB will take a while to fill... I'm at 8% full after 2½ years.
They allow ZIP files up to 13-14MB in size. (Updated 26 May: They now allow 20MB)
If they contain EXE files, rename to something like ZZP before attaching.

<p>An obvious option at the moment would be to have a copy go via <b>BCC </b>to your <b>Gmail </b>account. 2.8GB will take a while to fill... I'm at 8% full after 2½ years. They allow ZIP files up to 13-14MB in size. <u>(Updated 26 May: They now allow 20MB)</u> If they contain EXE files, rename to something like ZZP before attaching.  </p>

I think when you look at larger shops who require archiving in some fashion, saving the attachment with the email starts to become a requirement.  I have a legal department that has just about had my head because they can not  "prove"  to other lawyers and external parties that we have received and forwarded a particular email, on a particular date and it includes these attachments.  When someone goes back over a past email, that can be forwarded to a legal authority, we can prove receive/sent dates,  parties emailed to/from with a continuity of a discussions to/from a variety of parties within the email, but no copy of the actual email attachments!  This inability to include the attachment withing the Copes to Self email creates a direct weakness when using the email as evidence in cases, or even discussing issues with external lawyers. There is no physical continuity (the attachment) with which to forward to a lawyer to prove conversations, if they are trying to build a case against you. 

Its a major problem to our legal department and something I would like to resolve for them.  I totally understand / respect and like the feature of not saving the original attachment within the email, in the Copies to Self folder. Its a drive space saving methodology that was very well placed during earlier years of use when drive space and sharing was paramount. But as email is used much heavier now for "real" sales contact archeiving and in our case legal discussions I can see this this becoming a very needed option. Persoanlly I beleive this should be enabled on a user by user basies and not on an email by email bases.  Certain users have functions that really need there email attachments to be archeived, others where almost 100% of there emails are outbound and the attachments can be easily recreated, its not a need at all.

I believe this should be an option, within Pegasus's Copy to Self area.

Les Elton, Network Admin, ABC Recycling    (Vancouver, BC, Canada)

<p>I think when you look at larger shops who require archiving in some fashion, saving the attachment with the email starts to become a requirement.  I have a legal department that has just about had my head because they can not  "prove"  to other lawyers and external parties that we have received and forwarded a particular email, on a particular date and it includes these attachments.  When someone goes back over a past email, that can be forwarded to a legal authority, we can prove receive/sent dates,  parties emailed to/from with a continuity of a discussions to/from a variety of parties within the email, but no copy of the actual email attachments!  This inability to include the attachment withing the Copes to Self email creates a direct weakness when using the email as evidence in cases, or even discussing issues with external lawyers. There is no physical continuity (the attachment) with which to forward to a lawyer to prove conversations, if they are trying to build a case against you.  </p><p> Its a major problem to our legal department and something I would like to resolve for them.  I totally understand / respect and like the feature of not saving the original attachment within the email, in the Copies to Self folder. Its a drive space saving methodology that was very well placed during earlier years of use when drive space and sharing was paramount. But as email is used much heavier now for "real" sales contact archeiving and in our case legal discussions I can see this this becoming a very needed option. Persoanlly I beleive this should be enabled on a user by user basies and not on an email by email bases.  Certain users have functions that really need there email attachments to be archeived, others where almost 100% of there emails are outbound and the attachments can be easily recreated, its not a need at all.</p><p>  I believe this should be an option, within Pegasus's Copy to Self area.</p><p> </p><p>Les Elton, Network Admin, ABC Recycling    (Vancouver, BC, Canada)  </p>

I want it and I want it now - For exactly the same reasons as lelton has outlined. Not having this facility has just cost me personally over $NZ30,000 in additional legal costs in a current civil case I am involved in.

I want it and I want it now - For exactly the same reasons as lelton has outlined. Not having this facility has just cost me personally over $NZ30,000 in additional legal costs in a current civil case I am involved in.

I would like to add my vote for this feature.  I would like to be able to examine 'copies to self' and see the same thing as the addressee.  One thing it would facilitate for me is requests for a delayed cc.  "Can you send me a copy of those photos you sent to Xyz?".  Of course there are workarounds, like gmail, but here we are talking 'wouldn't it be nice'. 

Richard Holford on Vancouver Island, BC

<P>I would like to add my vote for this feature.  I would like to be able to examine 'copies to self' and see the same thing as the addressee.  One thing it would facilitate for me is requests for a delayed cc.  "Can you send me a copy of those photos you sent to Xyz?".  Of course there are workarounds, like gmail, but here we are talking 'wouldn't it be nice'.  </P> <P>Richard Holford on Vancouver Island, BC</P>

I certainly support this feature addition, but would suggest one additional step: I would also like to see Pegasus preserve the pictures that were embedded in outgoing HTML mail.

I often embed gif and jpg format graphs and plots in HTML e-mails in order to have technical conversations with my colleagues.  
A lot of times these graphs and plots are just "quickies" that I don't archive on my hard drive.  But it seems inevitable that I want to go back
and review these technical e-mail discussions at some future date...but the absence of the original html formatted graphs in the "copies to self" folder
makes this difficult and frustrating.

-Sean

I certainly support this feature addition, but would suggest one additional step: I would also like to see Pegasus preserve the pictures that were embedded in outgoing HTML mail. I often embed gif and jpg format graphs and plots in HTML e-mails in order to have technical conversations with my colleagues.   A lot of times these graphs and plots are just "quickies" that I don't archive on my hard drive.  But it seems inevitable that I want to go back and review these technical e-mail discussions at some future date...but the absence of the original html formatted graphs in the "copies to self" folder makes this difficult and frustrating. -Sean

+1 for the inclusion of attachments and/or embedded content in the copy to selves.

In fact, an integral copy of the email sould be saved.

Best regards,

François

<p>+1 for the inclusion of attachments and/or embedded content in the copy to selves.</p><p>In fact, an integral copy of the email sould be saved.</p><p> </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>François</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft