Community Discussions and Support
Content Control: Threshold vs. multiple definitions

Arrrghh! A word of CAUTION to anyone trying this work-around:

The size of the original SPAMBUST.DAT is 25K, with my additions I got past the approx. 32K limit of Pegasus' internal file editor. Unfortunately, it silently trunkates the file. Editing is disabled, but saving is not.

Using an external editor works just fine, of course, but can't be invoked from within Pegasus.

Cheers,
Erik 

<p>Arrrghh! A word of CAUTION to anyone trying this work-around:</p><p>The size of the original SPAMBUST.DAT is 25K, with my additions I got past the approx. 32K limit of Pegasus' internal file editor. Unfortunately, it silently trunkates the file. Editing is disabled, but saving is not. </p><p>Using an external editor works just fine, of course, but can't be invoked from within Pegasus.</p><p>Cheers, Erik </p>

Hi,

I have made some additions to the excellent rule set that comes with Pegasus' Content Control (SPAMBUST.DAT). My new rules are in a separate file (MY_SPAMBUST.DAT). This is to avoid problems when updating or re-installing Pegasus - e.g. the risk of overwriting the file, losing my additions.

It seems like Pegasus runs Content Control definitions in isolation, comparing the sum of weights for a definition to the threshold for that definition. Each definition starts fresh from zero. So, if SPAMBUST.DAT detects a dotted-decimal URL (weight 20) and MY_SPAMBUST.DAT detects an offer to lose weight (weight 35 - that is for Content Control, not the weight loss ;-) the sum of weights still isn't over the threshold of 50.

Is there a way to make CC use the combined weights from all definitions? Or is it safe to put my extra rules in the SPAMBUST.DAT file? In that case, how do I incorporate improvements to SPAMBUST.DAT that may be included in future releases of Pegasus?

Best regards,

Erik 

<p>Hi,</p><p>I have made some additions to the excellent rule set that comes with Pegasus' Content Control (SPAMBUST.DAT). My new rules are in a separate file (MY_SPAMBUST.DAT). This is to avoid problems when updating or re-installing Pegasus - e.g. the risk of overwriting the file, losing my additions. </p><p>It seems like Pegasus runs Content Control definitions in isolation, comparing the sum of weights for a definition to the threshold for that definition. Each definition starts fresh from zero. So, if SPAMBUST.DAT detects a dotted-decimal URL (weight 20) and MY_SPAMBUST.DAT detects an offer to lose weight (weight 35 - that is for Content Control, not the weight loss ;-) the sum of weights still isn't over the threshold of 50.</p><p>Is there a way to make CC use the combined weights from all definitions? Or is it safe to put my extra rules in the SPAMBUST.DAT file? In that case, how do I incorporate improvements to SPAMBUST.DAT that may be included in future releases of Pegasus?  </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>Erik </p>

Disable the original SPAMBUST.DAT & copy all its rules into your MY_SPAMBUST.DAT (with a comment line to separate your rules from the standard ones).

An update in a future Pegasus Mail release would require a manual copy/paste, but your rules would not be overwritten.

<p>Disable the original SPAMBUST.DAT & copy all its rules into your MY_SPAMBUST.DAT (with a comment line to separate your rules from the standard ones).</p><p>An update in a future Pegasus Mail release would require a manual copy/paste, but your rules would not be overwritten. </p>

I don't mind a little post-install copy/paste, so that's a really easy solution.

Thank you for helping me out!

Erik 

<p>I don't mind a little post-install copy/paste, so that's a really easy solution.</p><p>Thank you for helping me out!</p><p>Erik </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft