Community Discussions and Support
Very low traffic with selective download or with IMAP ?

you can use python or perl with their libraries to write a 'thin interface' that would show you sender, date and subject only. I could see programming a server somewhere to look at your imap email box and produce a list, the question is whether there is a link protocol within pegasus to fetch the important email.

you can use python or perl with their libraries to write a 'thin interface' that would show you sender, date and subject only. I could see programming a server somewhere to look at your imap email box and produce a list, the question is whether there is a link protocol within pegasus to fetch the important email.

I use pmail to download emails via GPRS connection. Every byte of GPRS traffic is very expensive. (foreigen country)

So, im looking for the best solution to show the email header and than decide to download or to delete the email.
Now, I tried the IMAP funktion. But it seems to bee a very heavy traffic protocol.

May be, that the pmail funtion "selective download" is mutch better for my needs, because it needs far fewer traffic, since it uses the pop3 protoco l!
I'm right with my thought ???

Or does any body knows the best way to look for new email headers with slow traffic as possible?

In addion; is the a solution to download the email, but not the attachment?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english
greetings from germany, Mike

p.s.
I use pmail since the year 1992 (DOS Version)

<P>I use pmail to download emails via GPRS connection. Every byte of GPRS traffic is very expensive. (foreigen country)</P> <P>So, im looking for the best solution to show the email header and than decide to download or to delete the email. Now, I tried the IMAP funktion. But it seems to bee a very heavy traffic protocol.</P> <P>May be, that the pmail funtion "selective download" is mutch better for my needs, because it needs far fewer traffic, since it uses the pop3 protoco l! I'm right with my thought ???</P> <P>Or does any body knows the best way to look for new email headers with slow traffic as possible?</P> <P>In addion; is the a solution to download the email, but not the attachment?</P> <P>Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english greetings from germany, Mike</P> <P>p.s. I use pmail since the year 1992 (DOS Version) </P>

[quote user="MikeW"]

I use pmail to download emails via GPRS connection. Every byte of GPRS traffic is very expensive. (foreigen country)

So, im looking for the best solution to show the email header and than decide to download or to delete the email.
Now, I tried the IMAP funktion. But it seems to bee a very heavy traffic protocol.

May be, that the pmail funtion "selective download" is mutch better for my needs, because it needs far fewer traffic, since it uses the pop3 protoco l!
I'm right with my thought ???

Or does any body knows the best way to look for new email headers with slow traffic as possible?

In addion; is the a solution to download the email, but not the attachment?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english
greetings from germany, Mike

p.s.
I use pmail since the year 1992 (DOS Version)

[/quote]

You are absolutely correct, POP3 using selective mail download is very much better for your needs.  That said, there is no way you can download the body text of the message without the attachment.  Even if you were to use web mail and read it on the server,  the message with all it's encoded attachments would be downloaded to your system. 

[quote user="MikeW"]<p>I use pmail to download emails via GPRS connection. Every byte of GPRS traffic is very expensive. (foreigen country)</p> <p>So, im looking for the best solution to show the email header and than decide to download or to delete the email. Now, I tried the IMAP funktion. But it seems to bee a very heavy traffic protocol.</p> <p>May be, that the pmail funtion "selective download" is mutch better for my needs, because it needs far fewer traffic, since it uses the pop3 protoco l! I'm right with my thought ???</p> <p>Or does any body knows the best way to look for new email headers with slow traffic as possible?</p> <p>In addion; is the a solution to download the email, but not the attachment?</p> <p>Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english greetings from germany, Mike</p> <p>p.s. I use pmail since the year 1992 (DOS Version) </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> You are absolutely correct, POP3 using selective mail download is very much better for your needs.  That said, there is no way you can download the body text of the message without the attachment.  Even if you were to use web mail and read it on the server,  the message with all it's encoded attachments would be downloaded to your system.  </p><p>  </p>

Hi Thomas,

thank you very mutch for your quick answer. So, I will use "selective download" via POP3 and not the traffic intensive IMAP protocol.

But, is there any possibility to delete an attachement and than read the message body? Sometimes I must read the text, but do not nead the attachement. If I download an attachment with with about 400kb, so I must pay 10$ only to read the message.

Beacaue I have always a backup of all emails in a second POP3 account (by email forwarding) so it is no problem to delete the attachment.

Wondering, if I'm the only one with the problem "gprs and expensive traffic" ?
Mike

<P>Hi Thomas,</P> <P>thank you very mutch for your quick answer. So, I will use "selective download" via POP3 and not the traffic intensive IMAP protocol.</P> <P>But, is there any possibility to delete an attachement and than read the message body? Sometimes I must read the text, but do not nead the attachement. If I download an attachment with with about 400kb, so I must pay 10$ only to read the message.</P> <P>Beacaue I have always a backup of all emails in a second POP3 account (by email forwarding) so it is no problem to delete the attachment.</P> <P>Wondering, if I'm the only one with the problem "gprs and expensive traffic" ? Mike</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

If you have (or can set up) a Mercury server on a cheap connection (ie. at office or home) to pull your mail from your existing mailboxes, you could run a "Delete attachment" filter rule (as well as some more rules to filter out unnecessary mail) on the mail copied to your new mobile user account (all mail also goes to a backup account), which you can then connect to from your mobile device.

A bit of 'shagging about' to set up, but should reduce your costs and give you much more control. 

<p>If you have (or can set up) a Mercury server on a cheap connection (ie. at office or home) to pull your mail from your existing mailboxes, you could run a "Delete attachment" filter rule (as well as some more rules to filter out unnecessary mail) on the mail <b>copied</b> to your new mobile user account (all mail also goes to a backup account), which you can then connect to from your mobile device.</p><p>A bit of 'shagging about' to set up, but should reduce your costs and give you much more control. </p>

[quote user="MikeW"]

Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for your quick answer. So, I will use "selective download" via POP3 and not the traffic intensive IMAP protocol.

But, is there any possibility to delete an attachment and than read the message body? Sometimes I must read the text, but do not read the attachment. If I download an attachment with with about 400kb, so I must pay 10$ only to read the message.

Because I have always a backup of all emails in a second POP3 account (by email forwarding) so it is no problem to delete the attachment.

Wondering, if I'm the only one with the problem "gprs and expensive traffic" ?

Mike

[/quote]

Not possible.  In order to read the message test you need to download the message RFC 2822 message body.  The attachment is a part of the message body in all current mailers and so you have to get it all.  The POP3 (or IMAP4)  process has no means of looking at a part of the message without downloading all of the message.  Now if you had people sending you Pegasus Mail attachments where the attachments were sent as separate messages you could read the message part without downloading the separate attachment message.

In addition, I would recommend telling all of your correspondents about the problems involved with large messages so that they would not send you attachments at all but place them on a server someplace where you  could  download them when required.

BTW, you are not the only one  with high cost connections but senders very seldom take the receivers costs into consideration when sending attachments.  ;-(

[quote user="MikeW"]<p>Hi Thomas,</p> <p>thank you very much for your quick answer. So, I will use "selective download" via POP3 and not the traffic intensive IMAP protocol.</p> <p>But, is there any possibility to delete an attachment and than read the message body? Sometimes I must read the text, but do not read the attachment. If I download an attachment with with about 400kb, so I must pay 10$ only to read the message.</p> <p>Because I have always a backup of all emails in a second POP3 account (by email forwarding) so it is no problem to delete the attachment.</p> <p>Wondering, if I'm the only one with the problem "gprs and expensive traffic" ?</p> <p mce_keep="true">Mike </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Not possible.  In order to read the message test you need to download the message RFC 2822 message body.  The attachment is a part of the message body in all current mailers and so you have to get it all.  The POP3 (or IMAP4)  process has no means of looking at a part of the message without downloading all of the message.  Now if you had people sending you Pegasus Mail attachments where the attachments were sent as separate messages you could read the message part without downloading the separate attachment message.</p><p>In addition, I would recommend telling all of your correspondents about the problems involved with large messages so that they would not send you attachments at all but place them on a server someplace where you  could  download them when required.</p><p>BTW, you are not the only one  with high cost connections but senders very seldom take the receivers costs into consideration when sending attachments.  ;-( </p><p> </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

Not possible.  In order to read the message test you need to download the message RFC 2822 message body.  The attachment is a part of the message body in all current mailers and so you have to get it all.  The POP3 (or IMAP4)  process has no means of looking at a part of the message without downloading all of the message.

[/quote]

Thunderbird purports to be able to do this with IMAP (via messing with the 'chunksize' & 'download by chunks' properties).

I have not investigated by log checking etc. but it seems to work as advertised (most of the time).

I click on a message (not locally cached) in the imap folder and the body downloads (small blip on netmeter) and shows in the preview pane.

I then click the attachment and it downloads (large blip on netmeter) and then opens.

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]<p>Not possible.  In order to read the message test you need to download the message RFC 2822 message body.  The attachment is a part of the message body in all current mailers and so you have to get it all.  The POP3 (or IMAP4)  process has no means of looking at a part of the message without downloading all of the message. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thunderbird purports to be able to do this with IMAP (via messing with the 'chunksize' & 'download by chunks' properties).</p><p>I have not investigated by log checking etc. but it seems to work as advertised (most of the time).</p><p>I click on a message (not locally cached) in the imap folder and the body downloads (small blip on netmeter) and shows in the preview pane.</p><p>I then click the attachment and it downloads (large blip on netmeter) and then opens.</p><p> </p>

OK, you are right with POP3 protocol.

But, I use my Nokia phone with Symbian OS and the Profimail email client.

Here, I can decide, if I will read the message with, or without downloading the attachment

http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail&page=manual

"....With IMAP accounts, it is possible to download message text without attachments. To enable this functionality, uncheck the option Download attachments ..."

When I use pmail v.4.41 with IMAP, it loads the email text always WITH the attachement. That is my problem.
Is there any IMAP profile option to disable the attachment download ?

I want use only Pegasus Mail (because I love it) and no optional software like:

http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/imap-delete-attachments.php

Thanks for your help

Mike

<FONT size=2> <P>OK, you are right with POP3 protocol.</P> <P>But, I use my Nokia phone with Symbian OS and the Profimail email client.</P> <P>Here, I can decide, if I will read the message with, or without downloading the attachment</P> <P>http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail&page=manual</P> <P>"....With IMAP accounts, it is possible to download message text without attachments. To enable this functionality, uncheck the option Download attachments ..."</P> <P>When I use pmail v.4.41 with IMAP, it loads the email text always WITH the attachement. That is my problem. Is there any IMAP profile option to disable the attachment download ?</P> <P>I want use only Pegasus Mail (because I love it) and no optional software like:</P> <P>http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/imap-delete-attachments.php</P> <P>Thanks for your help</P> <P>Mike</P></FONT>

> OK, you are right with POP3 protocol.
>
> But, I use my Nokia phone with Symbian OS and the Profimail email client.
>
> Here, I can decide, if I will read the message with, or without downloading the attachment
>
> http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail&page=manual
>
> "....With IMAP accounts, it is possible to download message
> text without attachments. To enable this functionality,
> uncheck the option Download attachments ..."

Not sure how they are doing this since this means that their IMAP4 client will parse the message and not download all message parts.  This should be possible to setup but I really do not know how they are doing this.  They are expecting this messages to all be MIME messages and the attachments are encoded message parts I guess.  Maybe they are only downloading the first message part.  In any case, this is not possible in Pegasus Mail.

>
> When I use pmail v.4.41 with IMAP, it loads the email text always WITH the attachement. That is my problem.
> Is there any IMAP profile option to disable the attachment download ?
>
> I want use only Pegasus Mail (because I love it) and no optional software like:
>
> http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/imap-delete-attachments.php
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Mike
>
>

> OK, you are right with POP3 protocol. > > But, I use my Nokia phone with Symbian OS and the Profimail email client. > > Here, I can decide, if I will read the message with, or without downloading the attachment > > http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail&page=manual > > "....With IMAP accounts, it is possible to download message > text without attachments. To enable this functionality, > uncheck the option Download attachments ..." Not sure how they are doing this since this means that their IMAP4 client will parse the message and not download all message parts.  This should be possible to setup but I really do not know how they are doing this.  They are expecting this messages to all be MIME messages and the attachments are encoded message parts I guess.  Maybe they are only downloading the first message part.  In any case, this is not possible in Pegasus Mail. > > When I use pmail v.4.41 with IMAP, it loads the email text always WITH the attachement. That is my problem. > Is there any IMAP profile option to disable the attachment download ? > > I want use only Pegasus Mail (because I love it) and no optional software like: > > http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/imap-delete-attachments.php > > Thanks for your help > > Mike > >
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft