Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Handling Signatures

Thanls for your help . I unchecked that box and now my selected 'sig " is shown as the default . The directions are certainly not clear to me that in taking that action I would get the result I wanted . Wiljon

Thanls for your help . I unchecked that box and now my selected 'sig " is shown as the default . The directions are certainly not clear to me that in taking that action I would get the result I wanted . Wiljon

I really wish Pegasus would handle signatures the same way Outlook, etc., does.

Namely,  when you hit "reply" to a message and the "write new message" window appears, the cursor should be right on top of your signature, followed by the text of the original email that you are replying to. Right now, your signature shows up at the END of the message (after the text of the original message) which makes no sense.  The reader now has to scroll to the end of their original message to see your signature details.

<p>I really wish Pegasus would handle signatures the same way Outlook, etc., does.</p><p>Namely,  when you hit "reply" to a message and the "write new message" window appears, the cursor should be right on top of your signature, followed by the text of the original email that you are replying to. Right now, your signature shows up at the END of the message (after the text of the original message) which makes no sense.  The reader now has to scroll to the end of their original message to see your signature details. </p>

Remember that Pegasus Mail vastly pre-dates Outlook (by almost a decade, in fact). The behaviours the program displays at the moment have been around for a very, very long time. That's not to say that they're right - simply that they sometimes reflect priorities and preferences that have drifted over the years. I suspect this is one of those cases. I personally loathe the whole idea of top-posting in this way, but I accept that I may be in a dwindling group now.

The placement of the signature was "right" when it was originally implemented, but it may be that over time, peoples' definition of "right" has changed. Top posting used to be a completely reviled practice, but it appears that this is no longer so.

I'm seeing this particular request reasonably frequently, and there's no technical reason why it can't be done, probably as an option. I'll see what I can do.

Cheers!

-- David --

Remember that Pegasus Mail vastly pre-dates Outlook (by almost a decade, in fact). The behaviours the program displays at the moment have been around for a very, very long time. That's not to say that they're right - simply that they sometimes reflect priorities and preferences that have drifted over the years. I suspect this is one of those cases. I personally loathe the whole idea of top-posting in this way, but I accept that I may be in a dwindling group now. The placement of the signature was "right" when it was originally implemented, but it may be that over time, peoples' definition of "right" has changed. Top posting used to be a completely reviled practice, but it appears that this is no longer so. I'm seeing this particular request reasonably frequently, and there's no technical reason why it can't be done, probably as an option. I'll see what I can do. Cheers! -- David --

I absolutely understand the rationale for this in the past...

I guess that as the accepted "customs" and expectations of emailing have changed, we really could use this feature to better match up with what the rest of the emailing world is doing these days.  Honestly, this one thing has tempted me on several occasions to almost betray Pegasus and go reluctantly (kicking and biting) into the world of Outlook. [:$]

So far I have resisted the temptation!

<p>I absolutely understand the rationale for this in the past... </p><p>I guess that as the accepted "customs" and expectations of emailing have changed, we really could use this feature to better match up with what the rest of the emailing world is doing these days.  Honestly, this one thing has tempted me on several occasions to almost betray Pegasus and go reluctantly (kicking and biting) into the world of Outlook. [:$] So far I have resisted the temptation! </p>

[quote user="mzimmer"]

I absolutely understand the rationale for this in the past...

I guess that as the accepted "customs" and expectations of emailing have changed, we really could use this feature to better match up with what the rest of the emailing world is doing these days.  Honestly, this one thing has tempted me on several occasions to almost betray Pegasus and go reluctantly (kicking and biting) into the world of Outlook. [:$]

So far I have resisted the temptation!

[/quote]

If Pegasus ever goes to the Outlook system of quoting and signature placement, without making it an optional setting, a LOT of folks will be looking for a new email client.

[quote user="mzimmer"]<p>I absolutely understand the rationale for this in the past... </p><p>I guess that as the accepted "customs" and expectations of emailing have changed, we really could use this feature to better match up with what the rest of the emailing world is doing these days.  Honestly, this one thing has tempted me on several occasions to almost betray Pegasus and go reluctantly (kicking and biting) into the world of Outlook. [:$] So far I have resisted the temptation! </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>If Pegasus ever goes to the Outlook system of quoting and signature placement, without making it an optional setting, a LOT of folks will be looking for a new email client.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="lar3ry"]

If Pegasus ever goes to the Outlook system of quoting and signature placement, without making it an optional setting, a LOT of folks will be looking for a new email client.

[/quote]

This is either melodramatic or threatening, and neither is really very productive. There are nicer ways of making your point - please consider them instead of falling back on this type of overdramatized commentary.

-- David --

[quote user="lar3ry"]<p>If Pegasus ever goes to the Outlook system of quoting and signature placement, without making it an optional setting, a LOT of folks will be looking for a new email client.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>This is either melodramatic or threatening, and neither is really very productive. There are nicer ways of making your point - please consider them instead of falling back on this type of overdramatized commentary. -- David -- </p>

Hi !

There is a simple and efficient way of implementing this feature, simply integrate it as an option in the preferences of the client, in the "Outgoing" section. There could be a box one has to tick to enable the feature requested here, and if the box is not ticked, then the default way of handling signatures should prevail. Also, in the help, there should be an explication of both ways of managing signatures in the answers.

No need to make a mountain out of it, in my opinion.

Bye !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi !</p><p>There is a simple and efficient way of implementing this feature, simply integrate it as an option in the preferences of the client, in the "Outgoing" section. There could be a box one has to tick to enable the feature requested here, and if the box is not ticked, then the default way of handling signatures should prevail. Also, in the help, there should be an explication of both ways of managing signatures in the answers.</p><p>No need to make a mountain out of it, in my opinion.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead.  </p>

In the signature box of a new message I have "no signature " plus 7 other specific names I use for signature . Try as I might I cannot have a default signature automatically appear in the box instead of "no signature " which means I must always click one of the 7 other "names "  at the end of my e-mail . Before I downloaded the latest version of Pegasus which includes the spamhalter feature this was not a problem but now it is . can you help me .  Thanks ,wiljon .  

In the signature box of a new message I have "no signature " plus 7 other specific names I use for signature . Try as I might I cannot have a default signature automatically appear in the box instead of "no signature " which means I must always click one of the 7 other "names "  at the end of my e-mail . Before I downloaded the latest version of Pegasus which includes the spamhalter feature this was not a problem but now it is . can you help me .  Thanks ,wiljon .  
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft