Community Discussions and Support
Problem with Pmail and Widescreen Displays

Hi, 

> This strange behavior is occurring on a brand new IBM Thinkpad with really nothing unusual added.

There's indeed a strange glitch according to Pegasus MDI when used with IBM Trackpoints:

Thinkpad Trackpoints can (and are by default) be configured to use for scrolling through the page.
To scroll that way one has to press the middle "UltraNav"-Key and simultaneously press the trackpoint into any direction.
Other than "normal" Windows behaviour this scrolling always triggers on the window beneath the current trackpoint position, even it's not the active window. Furthermore the Trackpoint pressure will be recalculated to control both the horizontal and the vertical scrollbar at the same time which means that one may scroll diagonally, too.

So far for the technical background, what I wanted to say is that it's not a "normal" scrolling technique which therefore cannot be compared with "normal" scrollwheel-mice.

The glitch now seems (only) to happen when this scrolling is invoked inside the window of PMail MDI on an empty window position where no child window is placed. Then the main area will be resized, the child windows will "scroll away" and scrollbars will appear even if they were not available before. It looks like that instead of any MDI child window (because at the scroll position there's none) the whole main area with all the other child windows will be scrolled (away).

Since I use Pegasus in full screen mode and have arranged a couple of used windows (mail folders) to fill all available space that Trackpoint-Phenomenon does not happen anymore, at least not unintentionally.

Finally, if it ever happens that folder windows became out of sight in PMail, there are two ways to repair:

1. The hard way: Kill the application task hard using the "Tasks" tab in the Task Manager to

prevent it from saving its configuration files with the

"wrongly-scrolled" window coordinates. Keep in mind that all other

configuration changes done in this session might be lost, too.

2. The soft way: If the wrong coordinates are already saved by any reason, you must select each open folder window in PMail itself under menu item "Windows" and first close it by pressing ESC before reopening later after all windows have been closed. After closing the last out-of-sight-window the (unusable) scrollbar will go away automatically.
To "repair" the global folder window you can also directly edit the file pmail.ini - Close PMail before! - and adapt the coordinates stored in "[Pegasus Mail for Windows] / Folder manager window rectangle" to some small values (left upper corner). But always save a backup of at least this file or at best the whole mailbox directory before editing this file, since mistakes in that file might make things worse. Anyway I do not recommend to manipulate this file manually if you can not oversee the consequences...

<p>Hi, </p><p>> This strange behavior is occurring on a brand new IBM Thinkpad with really nothing unusual added.</p><p>There's indeed a strange glitch according to Pegasus MDI when used with IBM Trackpoints:</p><p>Thinkpad Trackpoints can (and are by default) be configured to use for scrolling through the page. To scroll that way one has to press the middle "UltraNav"-Key and simultaneously press the trackpoint into any direction. Other than "normal" Windows behaviour this scrolling always triggers on the window beneath the current trackpoint position, even it's not the active window. Furthermore the Trackpoint pressure will be recalculated to control both the horizontal and the vertical scrollbar at the same time which means that one may scroll diagonally, too.</p><p>So far for the technical background, what I wanted to say is that it's not a "normal" scrolling technique which therefore cannot be compared with "normal" scrollwheel-mice. </p><p>The glitch now seems (only) to happen when this scrolling is invoked inside the window of PMail MDI on an empty window position where no child window is placed. Then the main area will be resized, the child windows will "scroll away" and scrollbars will appear even if they were not available before. It looks like that instead of any MDI child window (because at the scroll position there's none) the whole main area with all the other child windows will be scrolled (away).</p><p>Since I use Pegasus in full screen mode and have arranged a couple of used windows (mail folders) to fill all available space that Trackpoint-Phenomenon does not happen anymore, at least not unintentionally.</p><p> </p><p>Finally, if it ever happens that folder windows became out of sight in PMail, there are two ways to repair:</p><p>1. The hard way: Kill the application task hard using the "Tasks" tab in the Task Manager to prevent it from saving its configuration files with the "wrongly-scrolled" window coordinates. Keep in mind that all other configuration changes done in this session might be lost, too.</p><p>2. The soft way: If the wrong coordinates are already saved by any reason, you must select each open folder window in PMail itself under menu item "Windows" and first close it by pressing ESC before reopening later after all windows have been closed. After closing the last out-of-sight-window the (unusable) scrollbar will go away automatically. To "repair" the global folder window you can also directly edit the file pmail.ini - Close PMail before! - and adapt the coordinates stored in "[Pegasus Mail for Windows] / Folder manager window rectangle" to some small values (left upper corner). But always save a backup of at least this file or at best the whole mailbox directory before editing this file, since mistakes in that file might make things worse. Anyway I do not recommend to manipulate this file manually if you can not oversee the consequences... </p>

I just moved up to a WXGA+ display (1440X900), and get an odd behavior using Pegasus now (that can get pretty annoying...)

Periodically I will have the "folders window" open in Pmail, and then it will suddenly disappear.  There will be a V-E-R-Y long scroll bar, and the folder window will actually still be "active"  but not visible. The folders window will be hiding at the very, very end of the page, and it takes a l-o-n-g time to scroll down to it. Sometimes this behavior happens vertically, sometimes horizontally, and sometimes with an individual IMAP folder that I have opened...  I have confirmed that this has something to do with the widescreen resolution, because it never happens using the standard screen resolutions.

Anyone have a clue what causes this and if there's a fix that I'm missing?

Mark 

<p>I just moved up to a WXGA+ display (1440X900), and get an odd behavior using Pegasus now (that can get pretty annoying...)</p><p>Periodically I will have the "folders window" open in Pmail, and then it will suddenly disappear.  There will be a V-E-R-Y long scroll bar, and the folder window will actually still be "active"  but not visible. The folders window will be hiding at the very, very end of the page, and it takes a l-o-n-g time to scroll down to it. Sometimes this behavior happens vertically, sometimes horizontally, and sometimes with an individual IMAP folder that I have opened...  I have confirmed that this has something to do with the widescreen resolution, because it never happens using the standard screen resolutions. </p><p>Anyone have a clue what causes this and if there's a fix that I'm missing?</p><p> Mark </p>

?? I run a much higher resolution widescreen display than this, and I've never seen anything like what you describe. It *sounds* as though the MDI client are of the program is somehow resizing itself to some bizarrely large size, but I can't think of any way that could happen.

Internally, Pegasus Mail is extremely "resolution-neutral" - I don't make many, if any assumptions about the size of the display, instead just using whatever Windows tells me is there. About all I can suggest is to make sure that your video drivers are completely up to date and that there isn't some other utility (perhaps a display switching widget or something like that) that could be causing problems.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>?? I run a much higher resolution widescreen display than this, and I've never seen anything like what you describe. It *sounds* as though the MDI client are of the program is somehow resizing itself to some bizarrely large size, but I can't think of any way that could happen. Internally, Pegasus Mail is extremely "resolution-neutral" - I don't make many, if any assumptions about the size of the display, instead just using whatever Windows tells me is there. About all I can suggest is to make sure that your video drivers are completely up to date and that there isn't some other utility (perhaps a display switching widget or something like that) that could be causing problems. Cheers! -- David --  </p>

Thanks so much for the reply !

This strange behavior is occurring on a brand new IBM Thinkpad with really nothing unusual added... Maybe it's just a quirk with the new hardware, but so far I've seen nothing similar affect any of my other apps.  It just spontaneously resizes to this huge window sometimes.  Go figure?!

I seem to have gotten it to stop by playing around with the size of the Pegasus Windows and selecting "Save the Pegasus Mail Desktop Between Sessions".  Hope it lasts!

Mark

<p>Thanks so much for the reply ! </p><p>This strange behavior is occurring on a brand new IBM Thinkpad with really nothing unusual added... Maybe it's just a quirk with the new hardware, but so far I've seen nothing similar affect any of my other apps.  It just spontaneously resizes to this huge window sometimes.  Go figure?!</p><p>I seem to have gotten it to stop by playing around with the size of the Pegasus Windows and selecting "Save the Pegasus Mail Desktop Between Sessions".  Hope it lasts!</p><p> Mark  </p>

I would suggest looking to see if there is another video driver than the one that was supplied.  Often the chip set manufacturers offer generic ones that work better than the OEM Vendor supplied drivers.     I run Pegasus Mail on two systems (Notebook and Desktop) with 1680x1050 displays, and don't see that effect.   My display adapters are both Nvidia Geforce.    I also run dual monitors on the desktop so as far as the computer is concerned its twice that width.

I do see one quirk though about Pegasus Mail that has to do with the MDI interface where prompting windows can float, if you use Pegasus Mail on the second monitor your prompt window can end up on the first monitor.   Its not unique to Pegasus Mail, the effect happens on any program that uses MDI.  I doubt there is a way to fix that because logically its a 3360x1050 display not two 1680x1050 displays. 

<p>I would suggest looking to see if there is another video driver than the one that was supplied.  Often the chip set manufacturers offer generic ones that work better than the OEM Vendor supplied drivers.     I run Pegasus Mail on two systems (Notebook and Desktop) with 1680x1050 displays, and don't see that effect.   My display adapters are both Nvidia Geforce.    I also run dual monitors on the desktop so as far as the computer is concerned its twice that width.</p><p> </p><p>I do see one quirk though about Pegasus Mail that has to do with the MDI interface where prompting windows can float, if you use Pegasus Mail on the second monitor your prompt window can end up on the first monitor.   Its not unique to Pegasus Mail, the effect happens on any program that uses MDI.  I doubt there is a way to fix that because logically its a 3360x1050 display not two 1680x1050 displays. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft