Community Discussions and Support
Secondary MX

I have in the past and am currently now running two instances of Mercury/32 looking at the same mail store delivering the mail.  Generally there is no problem at all and we are processing about 500 messages a day.  Just make sure the only thing common to the two instances are the same mail store.  The must have a completely different directory structure except for the mail directories.

Edit:  FWIW, multiple instances of Mercury/32 on the same system is not a problem.  You'll have to have separate IP addresses for each version to do SMTP delivery on port 25.

<p>I have in the past and am currently now running two instances of Mercury/32 looking at the same mail store delivering the mail.  Generally there is no problem at all and we are processing about 500 messages a day.  Just make sure the only thing common to the two instances are the same mail store.  The must have a completely different directory structure except for the mail directories.</p><p> Edit:  FWIW, multiple instances of Mercury/32 on the same system is not a problem.  You'll have to have separate IP addresses for each version to do SMTP delivery on port 25.</p><p> </p>

Hello,

I found some comments about this in other threads, but some questions are open:

Because of heavy spam load I want to create a secondary server (running in a VM) which can receive messages (only SMTP, not Pegasus), has an own queue but stores in the same mailbox store as the first server. Question: is this possible or do I get in trouble with the mailbox store about the creates filenames ? Could there be a conflict if both servers are trying to create a file on the store the same time ?

The configuration files I would sync between the both servers.

POP3, IMAP etc. will stay on the first primary server.

Best regards

Heiko

<P>Hello,</P> <P> I found some comments about this in other threads, but some questions are open:</P> <P>Because of heavy spam load I want to create a secondary server (running in a VM) which can receive messages (only SMTP, not Pegasus), has an own queue but stores in the same mailbox store as the first server. Question: is this possible or do I get in trouble with the mailbox store about the creates filenames ? Could there be a conflict if both servers are trying to create a file on the store the same time ?</P> <P>The configuration files I would sync between the both servers.</P> <P>POP3, IMAP etc. will stay on the first primary server.</P> <P> Best regards</P> <P> Heiko</P>

The probability for file conflicts of newly arrived emails are low.

Just remember to keep the root mercury directory separated, as well as ALL config files and queues - and only point the mail root directory to the same location as the primary server does.

<P>The probability for file conflicts of newly arrived emails are low.</P> <P>Just remember to keep the root mercury directory separated, as well as ALL config files and queues - and only point the mail root directory to the same location as the primary server does.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft