Community Discussions and Support
Quick switch between users?

> Thanks to Thomas' replies I went a bit deeper into what PMail can, and
> now am using Multipop to at least check and download the mail of
> different mailboxes (located also on different servers).
>
> Two things though.
>
> 1)  I have more boxes than the Multipop window long is and it will not
>     let me make the window longer, so I have to scroll.  Any way how to
>     make it longer?

Not without rewriting the extension and that's something you'll have to do yourself.

>
> 2)  The key question. Multipop is already handling several mailboxes.
>     PMail can also make distribution lists visible for all users. Given
>     that, should not it be easy to extend these functions with options
>     like:

>     - "show mailboxes defined in Multipop on a toolbar", and,
>     - "make toolbar visible for all users"?

it you know how to write and extension, and I do not, this may be possible.  The real point is that there is another application available to do this and, Mercury/32.  It's easy, fast and quick to run Mercury/32 and forget about using an outdated and no longer supported Pegasus Mail extension.

>
> If so, double-clicking the mailbox should switch to that user, and I
> have my easy switch between users. Can that be done with some simple
> script?

The switch between users is going away, caused to many support problems and there is of course the mail security problem. You can already run as many instances of Pegasus Mail as you want if allowed by the postmaster so this should be no problem.

>
> Hoping for a brilliant and positive answer

You got it.  Dump MultiPOP and go to Mercury/32.  ;-)

>
> McDuff

> Thanks to Thomas' replies I went a bit deeper into what PMail can, and > now am using Multipop to at least check and download the mail of > different mailboxes (located also on different servers). > > Two things though. > > 1)  I have more boxes than the Multipop window long is and it will not >     let me make the window longer, so I have to scroll.  Any way how to >     make it longer? Not without rewriting the extension and that's something you'll have to do yourself. > > 2)  The key question. Multipop is already handling several mailboxes. >     PMail can also make distribution lists visible for all users. Given >     that, should not it be easy to extend these functions with options >     like: >     - "show mailboxes defined in Multipop on a toolbar", and, >     - "make toolbar visible for all users"? it you know how to write and extension, and I do not, this may be possible.  The real point is that there is another application available to do this and, Mercury/32.  It's easy, fast and quick to run Mercury/32 and forget about using an outdated and no longer supported Pegasus Mail extension. > > If so, double-clicking the mailbox should switch to that user, and I > have my easy switch between users. Can that be done with some simple > script? The switch between users is going away, caused to many support problems and there is of course the mail security problem. You can already run as many instances of Pegasus Mail as you want if allowed by the postmaster so this should be no problem. > > Hoping for a brilliant and positive answer You got it.  Dump MultiPOP and go to Mercury/32.  ;-) > > McDuff

As mentioned in other posts, I am working with 2 non-profits and handling 12 mailboxes. That means, after checking mailbox 1, I have to go to "change user", type in the next user name, check the next mailbox, etc. Does anybody know how to install a quick shortcut key to switch without having to go to the individual steps?

Ideal would be if I could have all users added as buttons to the toolbar, so that I can just click the buttons and switch back and forward how I like. Is that possible? 

McDuff 

<p>As mentioned in other posts, I am working with 2 non-profits and handling 12 mailboxes. That means, after checking mailbox 1, I have to go to "change user", type in the next user name, check the next mailbox, etc. Does anybody know how to install a quick shortcut key to switch without having to go to the individual steps?</p><p>  Ideal would be if I could have all users added as buttons to the toolbar, so that I can just click the buttons and switch back and forward how I like. Is that possible? </p><p>McDuff </p><p> </p>

> As mentioned in other posts, I am working with 2 non-profits
> and handling 12 mailboxes. That means, after checking mailbox
> 1, I have to go to "change user", type in the next user name,
> check the next mailbox, etc. Does anybody know how to install
> a quick shortcut key to switch without having to go to the
> individual steps?

Personally I'd use Mercury/32 to be checking all the mailboxes and delivering the mail to each user and then use "Add mailbox to list" to connect to the mailboxes.  No buttons, to problems, just go to the folder.  I do add the proper identity to the folders in the added mailboxes so the forwarding and replies use the proper e-mail address.

You can of course simple setup separate users and run multiple instances of the program and then just click on the running programs to process the mail.  

>
>   Ideal would be if I could have all users added as buttons to
> the toolbar, so that I can just click the buttons and switch
> back and forward how I like. Is that possible? 
>
> McDuff

> As mentioned in other posts, I am working with 2 non-profits > and handling 12 mailboxes. That means, after checking mailbox > 1, I have to go to "change user", type in the next user name, > check the next mailbox, etc. Does anybody know how to install > a quick shortcut key to switch without having to go to the > individual steps? Personally I'd use Mercury/32 to be checking all the mailboxes and delivering the mail to each user and then use "Add mailbox to list" to connect to the mailboxes.  No buttons, to problems, just go to the folder.  I do add the proper identity to the folders in the added mailboxes so the forwarding and replies use the proper e-mail address. You can of course simple setup separate users and run multiple instances of the program and then just click on the running programs to process the mail.   > >   Ideal would be if I could have all users added as buttons to > the toolbar, so that I can just click the buttons and switch > back and forward how I like. Is that possible?  > > McDuff

I downloaded and installed Mercury, but before spending lots of time, maybe I should clarify our set-up.

For example, our czechfriends dot org has several different emails, four of those stored and answered by me in separate accounts: clients, general public, private and one address acting as "spam catch" redirected by the spamassasin filter on the individual email addresses.      

Our Czech non-profit ekomuzeum dot cz  has 13 emails, 8 of them handled by me: clients, general public, private, project, courses, etc and finally again one address acting as "spam catch".

Of those 14 email addresses, at least 5 of them have heavy traffic and get checked 2 to 5 times per day. Their mailboxes range from having 6 folders (around 50 mb in files) up to 20 different mail folders (still almost 500 Mb after archiving a lot of older files). The rest gets less often checked, from once a day to once every few days.

As said, the set-up works OK, the only annoyance is every time going through the different steps to change users.

From your description of Mercury, I did not get the feeling I would have less steps to perform to go to the different mailboxes, or am I wrong here?    

<p>I downloaded and installed Mercury, but before spending lots of time, maybe I should clarify our set-up.</p><p>For example, our czechfriends dot org has several different emails, four of those stored and answered by me in separate accounts: clients, general public, private and one address acting as "spam catch" redirected by the spamassasin filter on the individual email addresses.      </p><p> Our Czech non-profit ekomuzeum dot cz  has 13 emails, 8 of them handled by me: clients, general public, private, project, courses, etc and finally again one address acting as "spam catch". </p><p>Of those 14 email addresses, at least 5 of them have heavy traffic and get checked 2 to 5 times per day. Their mailboxes range from having 6 folders (around 50 mb in files) up to 20 different mail folders (still almost 500 Mb after archiving a lot of older files). The rest gets less often checked, from once a day to once every few days. </p><p>As said, the set-up works OK, the only annoyance is every time going through the different steps to change users.</p><p>From your description of Mercury, I did not get the feeling I would have less steps to perform to go to the different mailboxes, or am I wrong here?    </p><p> </p>

[quote user="mcduff"]

I downloaded and installed Mercury, but before spending lots of time, maybe I should clarify our set-up.

For example, our czechfriends dot org has several different emails, four of those stored and answered by me in separate accounts: clients, general public, private and one address acting as "spam catch" redirected by the spamassasin filter on the individual email addresses.      

Our Czech non-profit ekomuzeum dot cz  has 13 emails, 8 of them handled by me: clients, general public, private, project, courses, etc and finally again one address acting as "spam catch".

Of those 14 email addresses, at least 5 of them have heavy traffic and get checked 2 to 5 times per day. Their mailboxes range from having 6 folders (around 50 mb in files) up to 20 different mail folders (still almost 500 Mb after archiving a lot of older files). The rest gets less often checked, from once a day to once every few days.

As said, the set-up works OK, the only annoyance is every time going through the different steps to change users.

From your description of Mercury, I did not get the feeling I would have less steps to perform to go to the different mailboxes, or am I wrong here?    

[/quote]

MercuryD will be downloading and sending all the mail for all the accounts on a regular basis so that when you go to an account there is not need to do anything other then to read the mail and process it.   You can still use the change users but just the change will be all that is required to actually read the mail.  I personally though use the add mailbox to list and keep all of the mailboxes open in a single instance of WinPMail.  Now I do not have 13 added mailboxes but I do currently have 8 added user mailboxes and 2 IMAP4 accounts.

[quote user="mcduff"]<p>I downloaded and installed Mercury, but before spending lots of time, maybe I should clarify our set-up.</p><p>For example, our czechfriends dot org has several different emails, four of those stored and answered by me in separate accounts: clients, general public, private and one address acting as "spam catch" redirected by the spamassasin filter on the individual email addresses.      </p><p> Our Czech non-profit ekomuzeum dot cz  has 13 emails, 8 of them handled by me: clients, general public, private, project, courses, etc and finally again one address acting as "spam catch". </p><p>Of those 14 email addresses, at least 5 of them have heavy traffic and get checked 2 to 5 times per day. Their mailboxes range from having 6 folders (around 50 mb in files) up to 20 different mail folders (still almost 500 Mb after archiving a lot of older files). The rest gets less often checked, from once a day to once every few days. </p><p>As said, the set-up works OK, the only annoyance is every time going through the different steps to change users.</p><p>From your description of Mercury, I did not get the feeling I would have less steps to perform to go to the different mailboxes, or am I wrong here?    </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>MercuryD will be downloading and sending all the mail for all the accounts on a regular basis so that when you go to an account there is not need to do anything other then to read the mail and process it.   You can still use the change users but just the change will be all that is required to actually read the mail.  I personally though use the add mailbox to list and keep all of the mailboxes open in a single instance of WinPMail.  Now I do not have 13 added mailboxes but I do currently have 8 added user mailboxes and 2 IMAP4 accounts.</p><p> </p>

Thanks to Thomas' replies I went a bit deeper into what PMail can, and now am using Multipop to at least check and download the mail of different mailboxes (located also on different servers).

Two things though.
1) I have more boxes than the Multipop window long is and it will not let me make the window longer, so I have to scroll.  Any way how to make it longer?

2) The key question. Multipop is already handling several mailboxes. PMail can also make distribution lists visible for all users. Given that, should not it be easy to extend these functions with options like:
- "show mailboxes defined in Multipop on a toolbar", and,
- "make toolbar visible for all users"?

If so, double-clicking the mailbox should switch to that user, and I have my easy switch between users. Can that be done with some simple script?

Hoping for a brilliant and positive answer

McDuff 

<p>Thanks to Thomas' replies I went a bit deeper into what PMail can, and now am using Multipop to at least check and download the mail of different mailboxes (located also on different servers).</p><p>Two things though. 1) I have more boxes than the Multipop window long is and it will not let me make the window longer, so I have to scroll.  Any way how to make it longer?</p><p>2) The key question. Multipop is already handling several mailboxes. PMail can also make distribution lists visible for all users. Given that, should not it be easy to extend these functions with options like: - "show mailboxes defined in Multipop on a toolbar", and, - "make toolbar visible for all users"?</p><p>If so, double-clicking the mailbox should switch to that user, and I have my easy switch between users. Can that be done with some simple script?</p><p>Hoping for a brilliant and positive answer</p><p>McDuff </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>  </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft