Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Silent operation of copy-to-self

I haven't really played with the new beta version - maybe this is in it - but I really think this should be included. It's something I rely on massively when at work and using Lookout.

Also, like many suggestions, this has had someone pop up and say "but you can already achieve that effect like this..." which frankly, though obviously trying to be helpful and shows the power and versatility of this great software, utterly misses the point.

It is tedious and time-consuming to update your mail filters everytime you have a new contact or folder. The option to automatically store a reply in the folder that the original is stored in makes life simpler. It's not dumbing-down, nor is it about people not understanding the power they already have. It's about user experience. That's what brings in and keeps users.

I think the original poster's full and clear explanation of how the options should be altered was well thought out and useful. It seems perfect to me and I imagine that it's a relatively simple thing to do, given that, as we've established, the program can be made to do it already (after a fashion). I hope that David has time to add it when next he looks at the suggestion box.

<P>I haven't really played with the new beta version - maybe this is in it - but I really think this should be included. It's something I rely on massively when at work and using Lookout.</P><P>Also, like many suggestions, this has had someone pop up and say "but you can already achieve that effect like this..." which frankly, though obviously trying to be helpful and shows the power and versatility of this great software, utterly misses the point.</P><P>It is tedious and time-consuming to update your mail filters everytime you have a new contact or folder. The option to automatically store a reply in the folder that the original is stored in makes life simpler. It's not dumbing-down, nor is it about people not understanding the power they already have. It's about user experience. That's what brings in and keeps users.</P><P>I think the original poster's full and clear explanation of how the options should be altered was well thought out and useful. It seems perfect to me and I imagine that it's a relatively simple thing to do, given that, as we've established, the program can be made to do it already (after a fashion). I hope that David has time to add it when next he looks at the suggestion box.</P>

[Background]
Pegasus has two options for where to save outgoing email:

1. in the 'Copies to self' folder,  or
  2. in a folder selected when the message is sent

In case #2, the folder selection dialog defaults to the current folder.

[Suggestion]
Silently put the copy-to-self in the same folder as the message replied to, or the current folder for new mail. If this behaviour is not acceptable for part of the user community, then extend the options available:

Put copy to self for new mail in (o)Current folder  ( )Copies to self    ( )Ask   ( )Do not save a copy
Put copy to self for replies in  (o)Current folder  ( )Copies to self    ( )Ask   ( )Do not save a copy

Introducing the new behaviour without breaking the old one could be done this way: Let (o)Ask be the default for the settings above. Add a 'Don't ask me again for replies' /'Don't ask me again for new messages' checkbox to the folder tree dialog; when checked this changes the setting to (o)Current folder.

Please note: This suggestion aims at an easy-to-understand, no-maintenance, no-interaction behaviour that is consistent with Outlook and is likely to be what the vast majority of users expect. (That last assumption is of course based on my personal experience, not a poll.) Although similar results can be achieved with mail filtering rules, that is not a no-maintenance, no-interaction behaviour as intended in this suggestion.

[Rationale]
IMHO this is the most logical behaviour for users who file their mail in folders, because it keeps messages in a thread in a single place. Selecting the target folder for every reply is just an inconvenience; I have never changed the folder Pegasus picked for a reply or new message.

I also believe this is consistent with the behaviour of other email clients, making it easier to feel at home in Pegasus. Important for people looking for alternatives to Outlook.

<p>[Background] Pegasus has two options for where to save outgoing email: </p><ol><li>in the 'Copies to self' folder,  <span style="font-style: italic;">or</span></li><li>in a folder selected when the message is sent </li></ol><p>In case #2, the folder selection dialog defaults to the current folder.</p><p>[Suggestion] Silently put the copy-to-self in the same folder as the message replied to, or the current folder for new mail. If this behaviour is not acceptable for part of the user community, then extend the options available:</p><p style="margin-left: 40px;"><span style="font-family: courier new,courier;">Put copy to self for new mail in (o)Current folder  ( )</span>Copies to self    ( )Ask   ( )Do not save a copy <span style="font-family: courier new,courier;">Put copy to self for replies in  (o)</span><span style="font-family: courier new,courier;">Current folder  </span><span style="font-family: courier new,courier;">( )</span>Copies to self    ( )Ask   ( )Do not save a copy</p><p>Introducing the new behaviour without breaking the old one could be done this way: Let (o)Ask be the default for the settings above. Add a 'Don't ask me again for replies' /'Don't ask me again for new messages' checkbox to the folder tree dialog; when checked this changes the setting to (o)Current folder. </p><p><b>Please note</b>: This suggestion aims at an easy-to-understand, no-maintenance, no-interaction behaviour that is consistent with Outlook and is likely to be what the vast majority of users expect. (That last assumption is of course based on my personal experience, not a poll.) Although similar results can be achieved with mail filtering rules, that is not a no-maintenance, no-interaction behaviour as intended in this suggestion. </p><p>[Rationale] IMHO this is the most logical behaviour for users who file their mail in folders, because it keeps messages in a thread in a single place. Selecting the target folder for every reply is just an inconvenience; I have <span style="font-style: italic;">never </span>changed the folder Pegasus picked for a reply or new message. </p><p>I also believe this is consistent with the behaviour of other email clients, making it easier to feel at home in Pegasus. Important for people looking for alternatives to Outlook. </p>

I'm not 100% sure whether I know exactly what you mean, but I've a sneaking suspicion that this could be resolved by formulating a mail filtering rule. I have formulated one that files all the mail I send to a specified address to a "To" folder in a specially created filing tray (and all incoming mail from that address to a "From" folder in the same filing tray). Hope this helps.

I'm not 100% sure whether I know exactly what you mean, but I've a sneaking suspicion that this could be resolved by formulating a mail filtering rule. I have formulated one that files all the mail I send to a specified address to a "To" folder in a specially created filing tray (and all incoming mail from that address to a "From" folder in the same filing tray). Hope this helps.

Steffan, thanks for the suggestion. I have used extra mail filtering rules to have my reply stored in the same folder as the message replied to, and it works to some degree.

However, IMHO using the 'select folder at send time' option that Pegasus provides is a lot easier than maintaining double sets of mail filtering rules plus manually moving messages when the filtering rules are not sofisticated enough to make the right decision.

My 'feature request'/suggestion is about storing the 'copy to self' in the same folder WITHOUT asking first - I have never changed the default in the folder tree dialog that pops up at send time.

This is a quirk that makes people reject Pegasus when looking for an alternative to Outlook. The impression is that Pegasus is difficult or awkward to use - even after you find the right setting you still get a dialog that you always dismiss with 'OK'.

Like in a restaurant: You don't specifically request a glass for your wine every time you order. Putting a glass on the table is a default that works in almost all cases. And the 1 in 100'000'000 that drink right out of the bottle, or store their replies in strange places, can still do that.

<p>Steffan, thanks for the suggestion. I have used extra mail filtering rules to have my reply stored in the same folder as the message replied to, and it works to some degree. </p><p>However, IMHO using the 'select folder at send time' option that Pegasus provides is a lot easier than maintaining double sets of mail filtering rules plus manually moving messages when the filtering rules are not sofisticated enough to make the right decision.</p><p>My 'feature request'/suggestion is about storing the 'copy to self' in the same folder WITHOUT asking first - I have never changed the default in the folder tree dialog that pops up at send time.</p><p>This is a quirk that makes people reject Pegasus when looking for an alternative to Outlook. The impression is that Pegasus is difficult or awkward to use - even after you find the right setting you still get a dialog that you always dismiss with 'OK'. </p><p>Like in a restaurant: You don't specifically request a glass for your wine every time you order. Putting a glass on the table is a default that works in almost all cases. And the 1 in 100'000'000 that drink right out of the bottle, or store their replies in strange places, can still do that. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft