Community Discussions and Support
Automatic Reply

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]...
First thing that comes to mind is that there is nothing that shows a Mercury User Defined Gateway.  Use PCONFIG.exe from the WinPMail program directory and check this out.

[/quote]

Thomas - that was it!

Because the pmail folder containing the mailboxes and the program had been copied between servers, and the old (pre-mercury) gateway existed, when I updated Pegasus Mail, I forgot about updating the gateway. So, because Mercury32 was working fine, it did not occur to me that this was the problem.

As has been said, the key was in the fact that Pegasus Mail must know that Mercury is present to allow Automatic Replies to work. Now that I have defined a (correct) Mercury gateway and deleted the old one (which pointed to a Pegasus Mail account), the Automatic Replies feature is now available.

Many thanks

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]... First thing that comes to mind is that there is nothing that shows a Mercury User Defined Gateway.  Use PCONFIG.exe from the WinPMail program directory and check this out. <P mce_keep="true">[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true">Thomas - that was it!</P> <P mce_keep="true">Because the pmail folder containing the mailboxes and the program had been copied between servers, and the old (pre-mercury) gateway existed, when I updated Pegasus Mail, I forgot about updating the gateway. So, because Mercury32 was working fine, it did not occur to me that this was the problem.</P> <P mce_keep="true">As has been said, the key was in the fact that Pegasus Mail must know that Mercury is present to allow Automatic Replies to work. Now that I have defined a (correct) Mercury gateway and deleted the old one (which pointed to a Pegasus Mail account), the Automatic Replies feature is now available.</P> <P mce_keep="true">Many thanks</P>

Hello

We have changed the way that we start Pegasus Mail (see this thread for details). We used to have it installed locally, but now start Pegasus Mail from a central network installation. This has resulted in unexpected behaviour.

When Pegasus Mail was installed locally, setting up an automatic reply was straightforward: click Tools>Automatic Reply and fill in the details. Starting Pegasus from the network location has resulted in this option no longer being available.

As we also use Mercury32, I had experimented with Mercury's built-in autoresponder. However, after discovering that mail intended for an account where an automatic response had been setup was not delivered to the recipient, and not getting any response to this, I gave up.

However, if we are to continue using Pegasus Mail in this mode, then we really need to have autoresponders working (which they do), and to have the original mail delivered to the recipient's mailbox.

So, can anyone help me with this please? As you can see from the second link, I can not see how to achieve the delivery of the mail.

Thanks

<P>Hello</P> <P>We have changed the way that we start Pegasus Mail (see <A class="" title="click here to view this thread" href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/1/6673/ShowThread.aspx" mce_href="/forums/1/6673/ShowThread.aspx">this thread</A> for details). We used to have it installed locally, but now start Pegasus Mail from a central network installation. This has resulted in unexpected behaviour.</P> <P>When Pegasus Mail was installed locally, setting up an automatic reply was straightforward: click Tools>Automatic Reply and fill in the details. Starting Pegasus from the network location has resulted in this option no longer being available.</P> <P>As we also use Mercury32, I had experimented with Mercury's built-in autoresponder. However, after discovering that mail intended for an account where an automatic response had been setup <A class="" title="click here to view the thread" href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/5112.aspx" mce_href="/forums/thread/5112.aspx">was not delivered to the recipient</A>, and not getting any response to this, I gave up.</P> <P>However, if we are to continue using Pegasus Mail in this mode, then we really need to have autoresponders working (which they do), and to have the original mail delivered to the recipient's mailbox.</P> <P>So, can anyone help me with this please? As you can see from the second link, I can not see how to achieve the delivery of the mail.</P> <P>Thanks</P>

Strange.  How are you specifying the directory path?  One of the major reasons this does not work is that the file can't be found.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and verify that the HOME and NEW mail directory paths as well as the program directory are properly pointing to the correct difectories.  You might want to post what you see in this screen.

Could you show us what one of the areply.pm files looks like in your new mail directory?

<p>Strange.  How are you specifying the directory path?  One of the major reasons this does not work is that the file can't be found.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and verify that the HOME and NEW mail directory paths as well as the program directory are properly pointing to the correct difectories.  You might want to post what you see in this screen. </p><p>Could you show us what one of the areply.pm files looks like in your new mail directory?</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

Strange.  How are you specifying the directory path?  One of the major reasons this does not work is that the file can't be found.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and verify that the HOME and NEW mail directory paths as well as the program directory are properly pointing to the correct difectories.  You might want to post what you see in this screen.

Could you show us what one of the areply.pm files looks like in your new mail directory?

[/quote]

Hi Thomas. Once again, thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that the reason the Automatic Reply option is unavailable is because a file is missing?

I have a file named areply (no extension) which is blank. 

This is what the info screen shows: 

Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.13
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Greenman, 0
Windows version: 5.1
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: \\Orion\pmail
Home mailbox location: \\ORION\PMAIL\Greenman
New mailbox location: \\ORION\PMAIL\Greenman
TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Greenman\LOCALS~1\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Greenman\LOCALS~1\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
  - WINSOCK version: (Not loaded)
  - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
Commandline: -A -i Greenman
Active -Z options: 32768
PMR variable: \\orion\pmail
PML variable: \\orion\pmail
MAI variable: (None)
NB variable: (None)

Cheers!

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <P>Strange.  How are you specifying the directory path?  One of the major reasons this does not work is that the file can't be found.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and verify that the HOME and NEW mail directory paths as well as the program directory are properly pointing to the correct difectories.  You might want to post what you see in this screen. </P> <P>Could you show us what one of the areply.pm files looks like in your new mail directory?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Hi Thomas. Once again, thanks for your reply.</P> <P>Are you saying that the reason the Automatic Reply option is unavailable is because a file is missing?</P> <P>I have a file named areply (no extension) which is blank. </P> <P>This is what the info screen shows: </P> <P>Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to <A href="mailto:support@pmail.gen.nz">support@pmail.gen.nz</A>.</P> <P>WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Greenman, 0 Windows version: 5.1 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: <A href="file://orion/pmail">\\Orion\pmail</A> Home mailbox location: <A href="file://orion/PMAIL/Greenman">\\ORION\PMAIL\Greenman</A> New mailbox location: <A href="file://orion/PMAIL/Greenman">\\ORION\PMAIL\Greenman</A> TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Greenman\LOCALS~1\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Greenman\LOCALS~1\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled   - WINSOCK version: (Not loaded)   - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -A -i Greenman Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: <A href="file://orion/pmail">\\orion\pmail</A> PML variable: <A href="file://orion/pmail">\\orion\pmail</A> MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None)</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Cheers!</P>

The auto reply is only available when running with Mercury and it appears that your system is setup so you are really in a single user mode using the build-in mailer to send the mail.  You can manually edit this areply file to add the auto reply and then save it as areply.pm.  Now if Mercury is delivering the mail to this inbox it will see the areply.pm and send it back as an auto reply.  BTW, your setup looks normal but I really do not like the structure.  I normally use \\server\pmail for the program and \\server\pmail\mail\<username> for the mailboxes.  I like to completely separate the program from the mailboxes.

&lt;p&gt;The auto reply is only available when running with Mercury and it appears that your system is setup so you are really in a single user mode using the build-in mailer to send the mail.&amp;nbsp; You can manually edit this areply file to add the auto reply and then save it as areply.pm.&amp;nbsp; Now if Mercury is delivering the mail to this inbox it will see the areply.pm and send it back as an auto reply.&amp;nbsp; BTW, your setup looks normal but I really do not like the structure.&amp;nbsp; I normally use \\server\pmail for the program and \\server\pmail\mail\&amp;lt;username&amp;gt; for the mailboxes.&amp;nbsp; I like to completely separate the program from the mailboxes.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

The auto reply is only available when running with Mercury and it appears that your system is setup so you are really in a single user mode using the build-in mailer to send the mail.  You can manually edit this areply file to add the auto reply and then save it as areply.pm.  Now if Mercury is delivering the mail to this inbox it will see the areply.pm and send it back as an auto reply.  BTW, your setup looks normal but I really do not like the structure.  I normally use \\server\pmail for the program and \\server\pmail\mail\<username> for the mailboxes.  I like to completely separate the program from the mailboxes.

[/quote]

Hi Thomas

Thanks for your reply.

I edited the areply file and saved it as areply.pm and the process worked. However, there is still no option to enable/disable this via Pegasus Mail.

You also mention that the program is running in standalone mode - we run Pegasus using a shortcut to the exe file on a server. How should the command line look to fix our problem? I tried removing the -A switch and the Automatic Reply option was still not available.

Do you or anyone else have any further thoughts/suggestions about this please?

Thanks

[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;] &lt;P&gt;The auto reply is only available when running with Mercury and it appears that your system is setup so you are really in a single user mode using the build-in mailer to send the mail.&amp;nbsp; You can manually edit this areply file to add the auto reply and then save it as areply.pm.&amp;nbsp; Now if Mercury is delivering the mail to this inbox it will see the areply.pm and send it back as an auto reply.&amp;nbsp; BTW, your setup looks normal but I really do not like the structure.&amp;nbsp; I normally use \\server\pmail for the program and \\server\pmail\mail\&amp;lt;username&amp;gt; for the mailboxes.&amp;nbsp; I like to completely separate the program from the mailboxes.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;[/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Hi Thomas&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks for your reply.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I edited the areply file and saved it as areply.pm and the process worked. However, there is still no option to enable/disable this via Pegasus Mail.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;You also mention&amp;nbsp;that the program is running in standalone mode - we run Pegasus using a shortcut to the exe file on&amp;nbsp;a server. How should the command line look to fix our problem? I&amp;nbsp;tried removing the -A switch and the Automatic Reply option was still not available.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Do you or anyone&amp;nbsp;else&amp;nbsp;have any further thoughts/suggestions about this please?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks&lt;/P&gt;

> You also mention that the program is running in standalone mode - we
> run Pegasus using a shortcut to the exe file on a server. How should
> the command line look to fix our problem? I tried removing the -A
> switch and the Automatic Reply option was still not available.
>
> Do you or anyone else have any further thoughts/suggestions about this
> please?

First thing that comes to mind is that there is nothing that shows a Mercury User Defined Gateway.  Use PCONFIG.exe from the WinPMail program directory and check this out.

>
> Thanks

&amp;gt; You also mention&amp;nbsp;that the program is running in standalone mode - we &amp;gt; run Pegasus using a shortcut to the exe file on&amp;nbsp;a server. How should &amp;gt; the command line look to fix our problem? I&amp;nbsp;tried removing the -A &amp;gt; switch and the Automatic Reply option was still not available. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Do you or anyone&amp;nbsp;else&amp;nbsp;have any further thoughts/suggestions about this &amp;gt; please? First thing that comes to mind is that there is nothing that shows a Mercury User Defined Gateway.&amp;nbsp; Use PCONFIG.exe from the WinPMail program directory and check this out. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Thanks &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft