Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus and Acrobat Reader

[quote user="irelam"]

Just on this last point. Why would anyone want to read/capture a file that was in read/write mode by some other process? This indicates that the file has a strong possibility of being updated. The Read-only version (yes Word/Excel are guilty) is then only an approximation to the current version of a file.  This kind of thing is most common in my work when two or more people on a network are sharing and updating data.

Martin 

[/quote]

You're right Martin but sometimes users need to do some things we didn't think they could have to do. For example, it happens to me quite often to be happy to have the feature "open a file in read-only mode because it's already opened by word or excel" (I made a lot of changes and suddently realize that I want to keep a copy of the original).

A good solution could be to warn the user that the file is in use and ask him/her to confirm he wants to attach the current version to his/her mail.

Regards

[quote user="irelam"]<p>Just on this last point. Why would anyone want to read/capture a file that was in read/write mode by some other process? This indicates that the file has a strong possibility of being updated. The Read-only version (yes Word/Excel are guilty) is then only an approximation to the current version of a file.  This kind of thing is most common in my work when two or more people on a network are sharing and updating data.</p><p>Martin </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> You're right Martin but sometimes users need to do some things we didn't think they could have to do. For example, it happens to me quite often to be happy to have the feature "open a file in read-only mode because it's already opened by word or excel" (I made a lot of changes and suddently realize that I want to keep a copy of the original).</p><p>A good solution could be to warn the user that the file is in use and ask him/her to confirm he wants to attach the current version to his/her mail.</p><p>Regards</p><p>  </p>

Acrobat Reader 8. have the funktion to send an mail by press the button "attacht to Email". But this don't work with Pegasus because the PDF-File is looked by the Acrobat Reader and so Pmail can't send it!

I think  there are to ways to solve this problem:

1. after pressing the Button "attacht to Email" the Acrobat Reader should ends.

2. There Pmail have to copy the PDF-File.

Have someone solve this problem?

PS: I don't now the right name of the button because I use a german version. 

<p>Acrobat Reader 8. have the funktion to send an mail by press the button "attacht to Email". But this don't work with Pegasus because the PDF-File is looked by the Acrobat Reader and so Pmail can't send it!</p><p>I think  there are to ways to solve this problem:</p><p>1. after pressing the Button "attacht to Email" the Acrobat Reader should ends.</p><p>2. There Pmail have to copy the PDF-File.</p><p>Have someone solve this problem?</p><p> </p><p>PS: I don't now the right name of the button because I use a german version. </p>

well, that's true, time to time  Pmail dosn't want to attach any file which is in use by other program. 
Case of that is (in my opinion) because source of Pmail has changed not so much since the first Pmail for windows, of cource there were big modification etc but Pmail is not so integrated into the system as other email clients.
What i do in that cases: i'm just adding file manualy, if that doesnt work, then close adobe, add file and "voile" :) sometimes you have to do things in longer way ;) i've got similar problem with google earth, cant send pictures straight from it.

Karol

well, that's true, time to time  Pmail dosn't want to attach any file which is in use by other program.  Case of that is (in my opinion) because source of Pmail has changed not so much since the first Pmail for windows, of cource there were big modification etc but Pmail is not so integrated into the system as other email clients. What i do in that cases: i'm just adding file manualy, if that doesnt work, then close adobe, add file and "voile" :) sometimes you have to do things in longer way ;) i've got similar problem with google earth, cant send pictures straight from it. Karol

[quote user="Karol"]well, that's true, time to time Pmail dosn't want to attach any file which is in use by other program.
Case of that is (in my opinion) because source of Pmail has changed not so much since the first Pmail for windows, of cource there were big modification etc but Pmail is not so integrated into the system as other email clients.
[/quote]

[:S] Huh?  It's really simple: something else is holding the file open, so the operating system won't let me access it. It's about as basic as things get.

Your assumption - "the source of Pmail has not changed so much since the first..." is quite breathtaking, really. You've never seen the source, and you know nothing about it; you clearly have no idea at all of the thousands of hours I put into maintaining it, nor the effort entailed.

While it is true that Pegasus Mail does not have so-called "Extended MAPI" support, that has absolutely no bearing on this particular problem whatsoever, and I would point out that Pegasus Mail is hardly alone: Microsoft designed Extended MAPI in such a way that it was nearly impossible for non-Microsoft applications to use on the transport side. Aside from MAPI, there really isn't any other way I can think of where Pegasus Mail is "not so integrated into the system as other email clients".

I'm sorry if I sound a little thin-skinned and tetchy about this, but I do not like to see a good chunk of my life and effort dismissed so casually.

-- David --

<p>[quote user="Karol"]well, that's true, time to time Pmail dosn't want to attach any file which is in use by other program. Case of that is (in my opinion) because source of Pmail has changed not so much since the first Pmail for windows, of cource there were big modification etc but Pmail is not so integrated into the system as other email clients. [/quote] [:S] Huh?  It's really simple: something else is holding the file open, so the operating system won't let me access it. It's about as basic as things get. Your assumption - "the source of Pmail has not changed so much since the first..." is quite breathtaking, really. You've never seen the source, and you know nothing about it; you clearly have no idea at all of the thousands of hours I put into maintaining it, nor the effort entailed. While it is true that Pegasus Mail does not have so-called "Extended MAPI" support, that has absolutely no bearing on this particular problem whatsoever, and I would point out that Pegasus Mail is hardly alone: Microsoft designed Extended MAPI in such a way that it was nearly impossible for non-Microsoft applications to use on the transport side. Aside from MAPI, there really isn't any other way I can think of where Pegasus Mail is "not so integrated into the system as other email clients". I'm sorry if I sound a little thin-skinned and tetchy about this, but I do not like to see a good chunk of my life and effort dismissed so casually. -- David -- </p>

[:#] i'm sorry, you are right, sorry again for my opinion.

Karol

[:#] i'm sorry, you are right, sorry again for my opinion. Karol

[quote user="David Harris"][:S] Huh?  It's really simple: something else is holding the file open, so the operating system won't let me access it. It's about as basic as things get. [/quote]

(I'm jumping in here because I was searching the forum and this post came up in my search. It might be related to the issue I just posted about a few minutes ago.)

Anyway, many many programs can open a file that is currently open in another program. The trick is to open it "read-only". Is there really any reason to allow Peg to fail the operation when attaching a file doesn't require read-write access? Allowing Peg to open it as read-only just for the purposes of attaching it to the message makes the program easier to use and improves the user experience.

Regards,

Ken Long

Albuquerque, NM 

<p>[quote user="David Harris"][:S] Huh?  It's really simple: something else is holding the file open, so the operating system won't let me access it. It's about as basic as things get. [/quote]</p><p>(I'm jumping in here because I was searching the forum and this post came up in my search. It might be related to the issue I just posted about a few minutes ago.) </p><p>Anyway, many many programs can open a file that is currently open in another program. The trick is to open it "read-only". Is there really any reason to allow Peg to fail the operation when attaching a file doesn't require read-write access? Allowing Peg to open it as read-only just for the purposes of attaching it to the message makes the program easier to use and improves the user experience. </p><p> Regards,</p><p>Ken Long</p><p>Albuquerque, NM </p>

Just on this last point. Why would anyone want to read/capture a file that was in read/write mode by some other process? This indicates that the file has a strong possibility of being updated. The Read-only version (yes Word/Excel are guilty) is then only an approximation to the current version of a file.  This kind of thing is most common in my work when two or more people on a network are sharing and updating data.

Martin 

<p>Just on this last point. Why would anyone want to read/capture a file that was in read/write mode by some other process? This indicates that the file has a strong possibility of being updated. The Read-only version (yes Word/Excel are guilty) is then only an approximation to the current version of a file.  This kind of thing is most common in my work when two or more people on a network are sharing and updating data.</p><p>Martin </p><p> </p>

[quote user="irelam"]Just on this last point. Why would anyone want to read/capture a file that was in read/write mode by some other process? This indicates that the file has a strong possibility of being updated. The Read-only version (yes Word/Excel are guilty) is then only an approximation to the current version of a file.  This kind of thing is most common in my work when two or more people on a network are sharing and updating data.Martin [/quote]

Program flexibility is the main reason. I don't always understand the reason my users want to do something in a certain way but I don't want to stand in the way of their productivity. I'll provide the basic tools and safety features and let them use them in the best way they see fit. Many times they come up with novel ways of doing things that I never imagined in the beginning and would have been impossible had I hobbled them.

Human ingenuity is an amazing thing.

Ken 

<p>[quote user="irelam"]Just on this last point. Why would anyone want to read/capture a file that was in read/write mode by some other process? This indicates that the file has a strong possibility of being updated. The Read-only version (yes Word/Excel are guilty) is then only an approximation to the current version of a file.  This kind of thing is most common in my work when two or more people on a network are sharing and updating data.Martin [/quote] </p><p>Program flexibility is the main reason. I don't always understand the reason my users want to do something in a certain way but I don't want to stand in the way of their productivity. I'll provide the basic tools and safety features and let them use them in the best way they see fit. Many times they come up with novel ways of doing things that I never imagined in the beginning and would have been impossible had I hobbled them. </p><p>Human ingenuity is an amazing thing. </p><p>Ken </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft