Mercury Suggestions
Enterprise deployment

Hi Richard

I use both Mercury and Pegasus Mail in a high school, I've about 1300 users. Each year about 1/3rd leave the school, 1/3rd are new ones and the last 1/3rd change their group (as they change their grad).

I created some scripts to manage those change in Mercury/Pmail and also in W2k3 AD, all scripts are in vbs. It's quite simple. You're right some scripts should be given to help to manage Mercury/PM.

Last think : a domain mailbox is not only *ONE* user it's multiple users so you've to pay for the right license.

Regards

<p>Hi Richard</p><p>I use both Mercury and Pegasus Mail in a high school, I've about 1300 users. Each year about 1/3rd leave the school, 1/3rd are new ones and the last 1/3rd change their group (as they change their grad).</p><p>I created some scripts to manage those change in Mercury/Pmail and also in W2k3 AD, all scripts are in vbs. It's quite simple. You're right some scripts should be given to help to manage Mercury/PM.</p><p>Last think : a domain mailbox is not only *ONE* user it's multiple users so you've to pay for the right license.</p><p> </p><p>Regards</p><p> </p>

With help from other users in Community tech support, I've just set up a Mercury server through which mail passes on it's way to an MS Exchange server. It all works fine. I'm using Mercury to get rid of spam before it hits the Exchange server.

When I was asked to set this system up, I considered using just Mercury, but the reason I did not was that I have to provide mail for thousands of users. I didn't see how I could use Mercury to manage that.

Specifically, I think Mercury needs tools to bulk create, bulk delete, bulk update & bulk disable user accounts, hold extra information: FirstName, LastName on which one can search, view the size of user's mailboxes and collect statistics on a per-user basis. The system is for a school, where I'd want to disable an entire cohort in a single operation, such as when a cohort leaves at the end of their 6th form studies. So, some way of putting users into groups and then doing a bulk operation on a group.

We have had to pay out for MS Exchange licences. A site licence for Mercury would have been far cheaper. As it is, our Mercury licence is for 1-15 users, which is as I understand it within Mercury's licencing conditions, because we only have an admin mailbox, spam, nospam and a domain mailbox.

I think that Mercury needs these extra tools in order to be suitable for 'Enterprise deployment'. Surely, thats where big money is being spent? Given the complexity of the rest of the product, I would have thought that some user management tools would be a relatively simple addition that would provide a big payback.

For myself, learning some basics about how mail works, the Mercury documentation is far better than anything I've seen for Exchange. Plus with Exchange, you have to get involved with all sorts of details about Active Directory.

Regards,

Richard

<P>With help from other users in Community tech support, I've just set up a Mercury server through which mail passes on it's way to an MS Exchange server. It all works fine. I'm using Mercury to get rid of spam before it hits the Exchange server.</P> <P>When I was asked to set this system up, I considered using just Mercury, but the reason I did not was that I have to provide mail for thousands of users. I didn't see how I could use Mercury to manage that. </P> <P>Specifically, I think Mercury needs tools to bulk create, bulk delete, bulk update & bulk disable user accounts, hold extra information: FirstName, LastName on which one can search, view the size of user's mailboxes and collect statistics on a per-user basis. The system is for a school, where I'd want to disable an entire cohort in a single operation, such as when a cohort leaves at the end of their 6th form studies. So, some way of putting users into groups and then doing a bulk operation on a group.</P> <P>We have had to pay out for MS Exchange licences. A site licence for Mercury would have been far cheaper. As it is, our Mercury licence is for 1-15 users, which is as I understand it within Mercury's licencing conditions, because we only have an admin mailbox, spam, nospam and a domain mailbox.</P> <P>I think that Mercury needs these extra tools in order to be suitable for 'Enterprise deployment'. Surely, thats where big money is being spent? Given the complexity of the rest of the product, I would have thought that some user management tools would be a relatively simple addition that would provide a big payback. </P> <P>For myself, learning some basics about how mail works, the Mercury documentation is far better than anything I've seen for Exchange. Plus with Exchange, you have to get involved with all sorts of details about Active Directory.</P> <P> Regards,</P> <P>Richard</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft