Pegasus Mail Suggestions
smtps / secure SSL IMAP

You can now read your mail ?

I assumed that you know that the IMAP profiles have it's own mailboxes, but if it's working now ... :-)

<P>You can now read your mail ?</P><P> </P><P>I assumed that you know that the IMAP profiles have it's own mailboxes, but if it's working now ... :-)</P>

I am no longer able to use Pegasus because my university has changed security requirements for email uploading / downloading. POP3 is no longer allowed. Only SMTPS (secure SMTP) is allowed. I can change my settings to send email, but downloading will no longer work at all.

Will the next version have SMTPS?

When is version 5.0 expected?

<P>I am no longer able to use Pegasus because my university has changed security requirements for email uploading / downloading. POP3 is no longer allowed. Only SMTPS (secure SMTP) is allowed. I can change my settings to send email, but downloading will no longer work at all.</P> <P>Will the next version have SMTPS?</P> <P>When is version 5.0 expected?</P>

[quote user="rickofms"]

... POP3 is no longer allowed. Only SMTPS (secure SMTP) is allowed. 

[/quote]

But SMTP has nothing to do with POP3.

Have they changed POP3 also, maybe to POP3S or IMAP ?

[quote user="rickofms"]<P>... POP3 is no longer allowed. Only SMTPS (secure SMTP) is allowed. </P><P>[/quote]</P><P> </P><P> </P><P>But SMTP has nothing to do with POP3.</P><P>Have they changed POP3 also, maybe to POP3S or IMAP ?</P>

You are, of course, right. POP3 was been changed to IMAP, but now requires a secure log in with password which is done automatically. Here is the document which was supposed to help us get configured.  http://www.its.msstate.edu/Information/Documentation/pdfs/AllConfigurations.pdf

After spending way too much time trying to make it work, I called ITS and they said that Pegasus was no longer supported.

I did get sending to work ok. But, if anyone can suggest settings to get receiving email to work, I will try them  Thanks.

<P>You are, of course, right. POP3 was been changed to IMAP, but now requires a secure log in with password which is done automatically. Here is the document which was supposed to help us get configured.  <A href="http://www.its.msstate.edu/Information/Documentation/pdfs/AllConfigurations.pdf">http://www.its.msstate.edu/Information/Documentation/pdfs/AllConfigurations.pdf</A></P> <P>After spending way too much time trying to make it work, I called ITS and they said that Pegasus was no longer supported.</P> <P> I did get sending to work ok. But, if anyone can suggest settings to get receiving email to work, I will try them  Thanks.</P>

I was wrong. Receiving is now done with IMAP. 

In trying to make "receiving" work, I go to Tools, then Internet Options. On the Receiving tab, it implies that this is for POP3 only, and POP3 is no longer supported. So, it looks like that tab won't help.  Is that right?

If I go to Tools, then IMAP profiles, I can click on my profile, the edit it. Is the box "IMAP server address" for sending or receiving? I tried server addresses for both and niether worked.

I think the receiving may be related to this statement "My server requires authentication" in the instructions (see pdf location in other reply in this thread). I don't see a way to ask pegasus to authenticate before it downloads my email.

note: I have my account on the RA server 

I've been using Pegasus for a looong time - since the univ made us stop using PINE, if you can remember that far back and speak a little UNIX.

Any ideas? thx.

Rickofms

<P> I was wrong. Receiving is now done with IMAP. </P> <P>In trying to make "receiving" work, I go to Tools, then Internet Options. On the Receiving tab, it implies that this is for POP3 only, and POP3 is no longer supported. So, it looks like that tab won't help.  Is that right?</P> <P> If I go to Tools, then IMAP profiles, I can click on my profile, the edit it. Is the box "IMAP server address" for sending or receiving? I tried server addresses for both and niether worked. </P> <P> I think the receiving may be related to this statement "<FONT face=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT><STRONG>My server requires authentication"</STRONG> in the instructions (see pdf location in other reply in this thread). I don't see a way to ask pegasus to authenticate before it downloads my email.</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT> note: </FONT><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT>I have my account on the RA server </FONT></P> <P>I've been using Pegasus for a looong time - since the univ made us stop using PINE, if you can remember that far back and speak a little UNIX.</P> <P><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT>Any ideas? thx.</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT>Rickofms</FONT></P>

You'e right IMAP is only for receiving. :-)

I read the document you provided and it's nothing special in it.

Do the following steps, and it should work:

- New IMAP profile

- Give the profile a name you can choose

- Enter the server address, according to the doc it should be  mail.msstate.edu

- Enter your login name

- Go to the security tab and choose Direct SSL Connection, accept the warning message

- Go back to the first tab, the port should now be 993.

- Click OK, select your profile and try to connect

Hope this helps

<P>You'e right IMAP is only for receiving. :-)</P><P> </P><P>I read the document you provided and it's nothing special in it.</P><P>Do the following steps, and it should work:</P><P>- New IMAP profile</P><P>- Give the profile a name you can choose</P><P>- Enter the server address, according to the doc it should be  mail.msstate.edu</P><P>- Enter your login name</P><P>- Go to the security tab and choose Direct SSL Connection, accept the warning message</P><P>- Go back to the first tab, the port should now be 993.</P><P>- Click OK, select your profile and try to connect</P><P> </P><P>Hope this helps </P>

I just made a new IMAP profile, and did as you suggested. This is the error I get:

"Profile 'RA IMAP EMail':  The IMAP server that manages this mailbox or folder has reported an error during the operation you have attempted to perform. The operation cannot be completed."

I think we are close, just not quite there. I tested sending again and that still works. I have to log in to the server that requires it, (with that login / pswd) but then download my email from the RA server.  Any other little changes I might try?  thx.

<P>I just made a new IMAP profile, and did as you suggested. This is the error I get: </P> <P>"Profile 'RA IMAP EMail':  The IMAP server that manages this mailbox or folder has reported an error during the operation you have attempted to perform. The operation cannot be completed."</P> <P>I think we are close, just not quite there. I tested sending again and that still works. I have to log in to the server that requires it, (with that login / pswd) but then download my email from the RA server.  Any other little changes I might try?  thx.</P>

To understand it,

There're two servers, the "normal" IMAP Server mail.msstate.edu
and this server named RA, right ?

Do you have different logins/passwords for the servers ?

It's the first time I hear about that kind of configuration :-) 

<P>To understand it,</P><P>There're two servers, the "normal" IMAP Server mail.msstate.edu and this server named RA, right ?</P><P> </P><P>Do you have different logins/passwords for the servers ?</P><P>It's the first time I hear about that kind of configuration :-)  </P>

Yes - that be the crux of the problem.

The main university account, msstate.edu, is the one that authenticates entry into the system.

But my email is on the RA server. The two have different login / pswd.

I have been fiddling with Mozilla Thunderbird the past 2 weeks so I have access to email, and it has a way to authenticate, then also tell which server to get the email from. So, it sends and receives fine. I am hoping that Pegasus has a way to do this. Or at least that version 5, due any day now (?) will incorporate this.

Any other ideas to try?  thx.

<P>Yes - that be the crux of the problem.</P> <P>The main university account, msstate.edu, is the one that authenticates entry into the system.</P> <P>But my email is on the RA server. The two have different login / pswd.</P> <P>I have been fiddling with Mozilla Thunderbird the past 2 weeks so I have access to email, and it has a way to authenticate, then also tell which server to get the email from. So, it sends and receives fine. I am hoping that Pegasus has a way to do this. Or at least that version 5, due any day now (?) will incorporate this. </P> <P>Any other ideas to try?  thx.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

As far as I know Pegasus has no further authentication mechanism, I also don't know if v5 will have this feature. :-(

I would suggest now, that if you can access the main account, forward all the mail from the RA

server to the main server and access it there.

<P>As far as I know Pegasus has no further authentication mechanism, I also don't know if v5 will have this feature. :-(</P><P>I would suggest now, that if you can access the main account, forward all the mail from the RA </P><P>server to the main server and access it there.</P>

Tigershark:

I just figured out something. I did not know that to view email in IMAP, that it would not appear in the "New Mail Folder" window, as it does with POP3. After reading through some of the help files in Pegasus, I now see that the mail will appear in the "Folders" view. It's there.

I'm admitting this oversight to all, just in case anyone else new to IMAP makes the same assumptions. Click on the folder icon, and look for the Mailbox folder, way down below all the other folders you have created.  eureka.

<P>Tigershark:</P> <P>I just figured out something. I did not know that to view email in IMAP, that it would not appear in the "New Mail Folder" window, as it does with POP3. After reading through some of the help files in Pegasus, I now see that the mail will appear in the "Folders" view. It's there. </P> <P>I'm admitting this oversight to all, just in case anyone else new to IMAP makes the same assumptions. Click on the folder icon, and look for the Mailbox folder, way down below all the other folders you have created.  eureka.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft