Community Discussions and Support
Forwarding email kills TCP/IP Network stack in Win XP and 2K....

Someone suggested that I swap in another NIC to see how it affected this hanging problem. I didn't have one handy so instead I updated the drivers for my existing one (an old Netgear FA311) and that seems to have done the trick! I can now forward those particular HTML-formatted emails without killing my network connection and hanging the computer. I guess the old drivers were either defective or corrupt.

So, perhaps my blaming Pegasus was misplaced. It still seems odd to me that Pegasus is the only network program of the many on this computer that would trigger the symptom. 

All's well that ends well.

<p>Someone suggested that I swap in another NIC to see how it affected this hanging problem. I didn't have one handy so instead I updated the drivers for my existing one (an old Netgear FA311) and that seems to have done the trick! I can now forward those particular HTML-formatted emails without killing my network connection and hanging the computer. I guess the old drivers were either defective or corrupt. </p><p>So, perhaps my blaming Pegasus was misplaced. It still seems odd to me that Pegasus is the only network program of the many on this computer that would trigger the symptom. </p><p> All's well that ends well. </p>

I'm running Pegasus 4.41 on WinXP SP2.  Every once in a while, when I forward an email and hit send, Pegasus seems to corrupt the TCP/IP stack and I lose network connectivity to my local LAN.  A reboot restores the connection.

Seems to happen with Rich Text (eg. HTML) based emails for some reason, but I have not managed to isolate the problem.  Earlier versions of Pegasus also did this and it also happens on Win2K SP5 as well.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks!

....Andrzej

<p>I'm running Pegasus 4.41 on WinXP SP2.  Every once in a while, when I forward an email and hit send, Pegasus seems to corrupt the TCP/IP stack and I lose network connectivity to my local LAN.  A reboot restores the connection.</p><p> Seems to happen with Rich Text (eg. HTML) based emails for some reason, but I have not managed to isolate the problem.  Earlier versions of Pegasus also did this and it also happens on Win2K SP5 as well.</p><p> Anyone else seen this problem?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks!</p><p> </p><p>....Andrzej  </p>

I've seen this from time to time, and in every case there was some kind of dubious "utility" installed that was intercepting TCP/IP traffic and crashing. The most common culprits have always been anti-viral packages, although that's usually on the POP3 side of things. There was also a web cache utility a few years ago that had this kind of problem, and it interfered with almost all ports.

I'd definitely be looking to see what else is installed on your machine that might be interfering with the TCP/IP stack: the odds of this being anything specific in Pegasus Mail itself are very slight.

Cheers!

-- David --

I've seen this from time to time, and in every case there was some kind of dubious "utility" installed that was intercepting TCP/IP traffic and crashing. The most common culprits have always been anti-viral packages, although that's usually on the POP3 side of things. There was also a web cache utility a few years ago that had this kind of problem, and it interfered with almost all ports. I'd definitely be looking to see what else is installed on your machine that might be interfering with the TCP/IP stack: the odds of this being anything specific in Pegasus Mail itself are very slight. Cheers! -- David --

One place to start looking for hooks is the registry. Look at registry key hkey_local_machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\

There underneath you have the hooks connected. If there are dlls connected other than MS dlls, you have other products interferring with all tcp traffic.

<P>One place to start looking for hooks is the registry. Look at registry key hkey_local_machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\</P> <P>There underneath you have the hooks connected. If there are dlls connected other than MS dlls, you have other products interferring with all tcp traffic.</P>

[quote user="chaeron"]

I'm running Pegasus 4.41 on WinXP SP2.  Every once in a while, when I forward an email and hit send, Pegasus seems to corrupt the TCP/IP stack and I lose network connectivity to my local LAN.  A reboot restores the connection.

Seems to happen with Rich Text (eg. HTML) based emails for some reason, but I have not managed to isolate the problem.  Earlier versions of Pegasus also did this and it also happens on Win2K SP5 as well.

Anyone else seen this problem?

[/quote]

I found this thread from 2007 while looking for a solution to my problem, which sounds almost exactly the same.

In my case, I get a weekly newsletter in HTML format, which I forward (bounce) to a friend via a filter rule. Two of the past four I've received have caused the network to die when I try to send the forwarded messages.The computer will then hang for about 10 seconds over and over about every 10 seconds until I manage to disable-then-enable the network connection in Windows, or to reboot. It doesn't seem to happen when I forward any other emails or to send a new one. The newsletter I got today didn't do it, but the one I got last week did. It's repeatable - if I try to bounce the problem message again, it happens every time.

I'm using Pegasus 4.63 with IERenderer version 2.4.7.4 and libtidy.dll version 1.0.5.0, running on Windows XP SP3.

Is there any way to fix this? I suppose it's a consequence of some flaw in the markup code of the messages, but it seems to me that no matter what, transmission of email should not interfere with my network connection like this.

[quote user="chaeron"]<p>I'm running Pegasus 4.41 on WinXP SP2.  Every once in a while, when I forward an email and hit send, Pegasus seems to corrupt the TCP/IP stack and I lose network connectivity to my local LAN.  A reboot restores the connection.</p><p> Seems to happen with Rich Text (eg. HTML) based emails for some reason, but I have not managed to isolate the problem.  Earlier versions of Pegasus also did this and it also happens on Win2K SP5 as well.</p><p> Anyone else seen this problem?</p><p> [/quote]</p><p> I found this thread from 2007 while looking for a solution to my problem, which sounds almost exactly the same. </p><p>In my case, I get a weekly newsletter in HTML format, which I forward (bounce) to a friend via a filter rule. Two of the past four I've received have caused the network to die when I try to send the forwarded messages.The computer will then hang for about 10 seconds over and over about every 10 seconds until I manage to disable-then-enable the network connection in Windows, or to reboot. It doesn't seem to happen when I forward any other emails or to send a new one. The newsletter I got today didn't do it, but the one I got last week did. It's repeatable - if I try to bounce the problem message again, it happens every time. </p><p>I'm using Pegasus 4.63 with IERenderer version 2.4.7.4 and libtidy.dll version 1.0.5.0, running on Windows XP SP3. </p><p>Is there any way to fix this? I suppose it's a consequence of some flaw in the markup code of the messages, but it seems to me that no matter what, transmission of email should not interfere with my network connection like this. </p><p> </p>

[quote user="rednoise"]I found this thread from 2007 while looking for a solution to my problem, which sounds almost exactly the same.

In my case, I get a weekly newsletter in HTML format, which I forward (bounce) to a friend via a filter rule. Two of the past four I've received have caused the network to die when I try to send the forwarded messages.The computer will then hang for about 10 seconds over and over about every 10 seconds until I manage to disable-then-enable the network connection in Windows, or to reboot. It doesn't seem to happen when I forward any other emails or to send a new one. The newsletter I got today didn't do it, but the one I got last week did. It's repeatable - if I try to bounce the problem message again, it happens every time.

I'm using Pegasus 4.63 with IERenderer version 2.4.7.4 and libtidy.dll version 1.0.5.0, running on Windows XP SP3.

Is there any way to fix this? I suppose it's a consequence of some flaw in the markup code of the messages, but it seems to me that no matter what, transmission of email should not interfere with my network connection like this.[/quote]

OK, it's been 9 days now since I posted this - does nobody have any thoughts about what's going on or how to fix or work around the problem?

Actually, I've already worked around it, in that I've stopped forwarding the email to my friend, but that only avoids the problem, not fixes it. It's bound to happen again someday. If nothing else, I'd like to understand how sending a rich text email can hose my network connection.

I can provide the raw message if anyone wants to see it.

[quote user="rednoise"]I found this thread from 2007 while looking for a solution to my problem, which sounds almost exactly the same. <p>In my case, I get a weekly newsletter in HTML format, which I forward (bounce) to a friend via a filter rule. Two of the past four I've received have caused the network to die when I try to send the forwarded messages.The computer will then hang for about 10 seconds over and over about every 10 seconds until I manage to disable-then-enable the network connection in Windows, or to reboot. It doesn't seem to happen when I forward any other emails or to send a new one. The newsletter I got today didn't do it, but the one I got last week did. It's repeatable - if I try to bounce the problem message again, it happens every time. </p><p>I'm using Pegasus 4.63 with IERenderer version 2.4.7.4 and libtidy.dll version 1.0.5.0, running on Windows XP SP3. </p><p>Is there any way to fix this? I suppose it's a consequence of some flaw in the markup code of the messages, but it seems to me that no matter what, transmission of email should not interfere with my network connection like this.[/quote]</p><p> OK, it's been 9 days now since I posted this - does nobody have any thoughts about what's going on or how to fix or work around the problem? </p><p>Actually, I've already worked around it, in that I've stopped forwarding the email to my friend, but that only avoids the problem, not fixes it. It's bound to happen again someday. If nothing else, I'd like to understand how sending a rich text email can hose my network connection.</p><p> I can provide the raw message if anyone wants to see it. </p>

Did you follow the earlier suggestion - ie (temporarily) turn off Anti-virus, I've seen some anti-viruses that only play well if the email scanning is turned off.

If as suggested something is running that is intercepting Pegasus's attempt to send mail, could you run msconfig and temporarily turn off all start applications.  I had a similar problem many years ago and ultimately found the 3rd party firewall was causing.

If you send the newsletter to your mate, can he bounce it back to you?

<p>Did you follow the earlier suggestion - ie (temporarily) turn off Anti-virus, I've seen some anti-viruses that only play well if the email scanning is turned off. </p><p>If as suggested something is running that is intercepting Pegasus's attempt to send mail, could you run msconfig and temporarily turn off all start applications.  I had a similar problem many years ago and ultimately found the 3rd party firewall was causing. </p><p>If you send the newsletter to your mate, can he bounce it back to you? </p>

[quote user="gac"]

Did you follow the earlier suggestion - ie (temporarily) turn off Anti-virus, I've seen some anti-viruses that only play well if the email scanning is turned off.

If as suggested something is running that is intercepting Pegasus's attempt to send mail, could you run msconfig and temporarily turn off all start applications.  I had a similar problem many years ago and ultimately found the 3rd party firewall was causing.

If you send the newsletter to your mate, can he bounce it back to you?

[/quote]

I use Avira Free Antivirus on this computer, but I've never enabled the email scan feature. Still I tried disabling the program, and sending that email still killed the network connection.

I don't run a software firewall on this computer. On your suggestion, I'll see if there's anything else I can disable that might be a factor.

Yes, my friend can bounce the email back to me and I get it OK. I can receive it just fine, it's when I try to send it that all hell breaks loose.

I forget if I mentioned it, but I can send the exact same email with Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, and Agent and there's no problem. I can also send the email with Pegasus through other SMTP servers besides Verizon. It's only when I send those particular rich text messages through Verizon's SMTP server that my network connection dies. Very strange.

[quote user="gac"]<p>Did you follow the earlier suggestion - ie (temporarily) turn off Anti-virus, I've seen some anti-viruses that only play well if the email scanning is turned off. </p><p>If as suggested something is running that is intercepting Pegasus's attempt to send mail, could you run msconfig and temporarily turn off all start applications.  I had a similar problem many years ago and ultimately found the 3rd party firewall was causing. </p><p>If you send the newsletter to your mate, can he bounce it back to you? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I use Avira Free Antivirus on this computer, but I've never enabled the email scan feature. Still I tried disabling the program, and sending that email still killed the network connection.</p><p>I don't run a software firewall on this computer. On your suggestion, I'll see if there's anything else I can disable that might be a factor.</p><p>Yes, my friend can bounce the email back to me and I get it OK. I can receive it just fine, it's when I try to send it that all hell breaks loose.</p><p>I forget if I mentioned it, but I can send the exact same email with Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, and Agent and there's no problem. I can also send the email with Pegasus through other SMTP servers besides Verizon. It's only when I send those particular rich text messages through Verizon's SMTP server that my network connection dies. Very strange. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft