Community Discussions and Support
Basic question on setting up Mercury with multiple domains

[quote user="fxmaker"] Forgive me for being dense, but I could not find out how to make a user specific to a single domain so that U@Domain1 and U@Domain2 are different users.[/quote]

Create the local maildrops as UserA, UserB, UserC

Then add aliases, so that f.ex.
info@domain1.com == UserA
info@domain2.com == UserB

this is how we run lots of domains and aliases. People who f.ex. retire, but keep their domain, have asked us to change their addresses from john@domain.com to f.ex. john.a@domain.com and they only get emails from people they really want to get email from, without having to alter usernames or passwords.

<P>[quote user="fxmaker"] Forgive me for being dense, but I could not find out how to make a user specific to a single domain so that U@Domain1 and U@Domain2 are different users.[/quote]</P> <P>Create the local maildrops as UserA, UserB, UserC</P> <P>Then add aliases, so that f.ex. info@domain1.com == UserA info@domain2.com == UserB</P> <P>this is how we run lots of domains and aliases. People who f.ex. retire, but keep their domain, have asked us to change their addresses from john@domain.com to f.ex. john.a@domain.com and they only get emails from people they really want to get email from, without having to alter usernames or passwords.</P>

Hi,

I have a single machine intended to support email for multiple domains. I am confused about how to create users which are unique to a specific domain.

As it is now, if I create a user U, mail to U@Domain1, U@Domain2, U@Domain3 all go to U's mail box.

Forgive me for being dense, but I could not find out how to make a user specific to a single domain so that U@Domain1 and U@Domain2 are different users.

Thank you

<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>I have a single machine intended to support email for multiple domains. I am confused about how to create users which are unique to a specific domain.</p><p>As it is now, if I create a user U, mail to U@Domain1, U@Domain2, U@Domain3 all go to U's mail box.</p><p>Forgive me for being dense, but I could not find out how to make a user specific to a single domain so that U@Domain1 and U@Domain2 are different users.</p><p>  Thank you</p><p>  </p>

I'm sorry - this posted in the Pegasus mail forum and not Mercury. I am red faced.

Can the question be moved? 

<p>I'm sorry - this posted in the Pegasus mail forum and not Mercury. I am red faced.</p><p>Can the question be moved? </p>

Two ways, depends a lot on how separate you want to kkep the domains. 

1.    Use an alias for the users.  Create a u1, u2 and u3 user and then ailas u@domain1.com to u1@domain1.com. You do the same thing for all three domain.

2.   Run multiple instances of Mercury/32 (my preference).  The mail and a slave for the alternate domain.  The mail has users for domain1 and a domain account for domains 2 and 3.  There is a Mercury/32 instance for these other two domain picking up the mail for their domains using MercuryD.  This one keeps the users in each domain completely separate. All instances of Mercury/32 can be run on the same system is separate directories if you wish.

As an example of this you can checkout the domains tstephenson.com, novelltstephenson.com and ubunto-tstephenson.com. Eack of the domains goes to the same IP address and are delivered to the server I call tstephenson.com  This server has domain accounts dm=novell : novelltstephenson.com   and dm-=ubuntu  : ubunto-tstephenson.com.  The  domain account for ubuntu is pulled by MercuryD and the mail for novell is pushed using a bat file and basic program I wrote.

<p>Two ways, depends a lot on how separate you want to kkep the domains.  </p><p> </p><p>1.    Use an alias for the users.  Create a u1, u2 and u3 user and then ailas u@domain1.com to u1@domain1.com. You do the same thing for all three domain.</p><p> 2.   Run multiple instances of Mercury/32 (my preference).  The mail and a slave for the alternate domain.  The mail has users for domain1 and a domain account for domains 2 and 3.  There is a Mercury/32 instance for these other two domain picking up the mail for their domains using MercuryD.  This one keeps the users in each domain completely separate. All instances of Mercury/32 can be run on the same system is separate directories if you wish. </p><p>  As an example of this you can checkout the domains tstephenson.com, novelltstephenson.com and ubunto-tstephenson.com. Eack of the domains goes to the same IP address and are delivered to the server I call tstephenson.com  This server has domain accounts dm=novell : novelltstephenson.com   and dm-=ubuntu  : ubunto-tstephenson.com.  The  domain account for ubuntu is pulled by MercuryD and the mail for novell is pushed using a bat file and basic program I wrote.</p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft