Community Discussions and Support
"Connect failed" error.

You are not using Norman perhaps? This is similar to my problem http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/942.aspx , just the invalid errorcode is different, a 6 instead of 2, but both invalid according to David.

You are not using Norman perhaps? This is similar to my problem http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/942.aspx , just the invalid errorcode is different, a 6 instead of 2, but both invalid according to David.

Hi,

Having moved to another computer I started with a new installation of PM 4.1. When I start mail download from my several mailboxes, I get an error message:

"Description of error: A network error occured during connection to the host.

Trace showing the end of transaction

5. Connect failes, 2."

After closing the error message, PM continues with the othen mailboxes and downloads the mail OK. If I try again (without shutting down PM) this time even the mail from the first mailbox is downloaded OK. This happens whichever mailbox I start with. I always get this error message. The only thing that changes in the error message is "Name of the POP3 profile" field, depending on the mailbox I start with.

Any ideas?

MTIA,

Janos

<P>Hi,</P> <P>Having moved to another computer I started with a new installation of PM 4.1. When I start mail download from my several mailboxes, I get an error message:</P> <P>"Description of error: A network error occured during connection to the host.</P> <P>Trace showing the end of transaction</P> <P>5. Connect failes, 2."</P> <P>After closing the error message, PM continues with the othen mailboxes and downloads the mail OK. If I try again (without shutting down PM) this time even the mail from the first mailbox is downloaded OK. This happens whichever mailbox I start with. I always get this error message. The only thing that changes in the error message is "Name of the POP3 profile" field, depending on the mailbox I start with.</P> <P>Any ideas?</P> <P>MTIA,</P> <P>Janos</P>

Well it might be that your internet connection is not yet ready when you start the first connection. Specifically wireless networks might take a few moments before they are activated (got the ip address and such) after startup.

Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net
Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group.
My own Pegasus Mail related web information:
http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

===

<p>Well it might be that your internet connection is not yet ready when you start the first connection. Specifically wireless networks might take a few moments before they are activated (got the ip address and such) after startup.</p><p>Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/ === </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

No wireless, plain old cable connection to the router. Even if I start IE before (this means the network is up and running), and I start PM and leave it on for a few minutes then try, the result is the same. I'm really stunned, I don't understand. After the error message when I try the next time without shutting down PM, there is no error message.

No wireless, plain old cable connection to the router. Even if I start IE before (this means the network is up and running), and I start PM and leave it on for a few minutes then try, the result is the same. I'm really stunned, I don't understand. After the error message when I try the next time without shutting down PM, there is no error message.

[quote user="Janos"]

5. Connect failes, 2."

[/quote]

If this is *really* what it says (allowing for the "failes" typo), then there's something very wrong with your system. The "5" tells me that the function that is failing is the Windows Sockets "connect" function, and the "2" is the error return from that function. Now, "2" is not a valid error return that I can find anywhere in the Windows Sockets reference, so something is messed up in your system, at the network layer level.

Anticipating what's likely to happen next, I have a couple of pre-emptive comments:

1. It really doesn't matter if "no other application on the system is having any problems" or "Outlook doesn't have this error". No two pieces of software interact with the operating system in the same way, and the fact that one application encounters an error that another does not is merely a reflection of that difference.

2. This is a Windows error. I can tell you that with absolute certainty. The function that is failing is a Windows function, and there are four lines of code between the point of failure and the time it gets reported. Either there is a configuration or software error in the Windows TCP/IP stack, or it is being passed parameters that it can't handle.

My best suggestion to you is to make sure that all the parameters are correct (hostname doesn't contain typos, port is correct and so on), and if they are, try fiddling with your Windows internet settings until you find a combination that works.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Janos"]<p>5. Connect failes, 2."</p><p>[/quote] If this is *really* what it says (allowing for the "failes" typo), then there's something very wrong with your system. The "5" tells me that the function that is failing is the Windows Sockets "connect" function, and the "2" is the error return from that function. Now, "2" is not a valid error return that I can find anywhere in the Windows Sockets reference, so something is messed up in your system, at the network layer level. Anticipating what's likely to happen next, I have a couple of pre-emptive comments: </p><ol><li>It really doesn't matter if "no other application on the system is having any problems" or "Outlook doesn't have this error". No two pieces of software interact with the operating system in the same way, and the fact that one application encounters an error that another does not is merely a reflection of that difference. </li><li>This is a Windows error. I can tell you that with absolute certainty. The function that is failing is a Windows function, and there are four lines of code between the point of failure and the time it gets reported. Either there is a configuration or software error in the Windows TCP/IP stack, or it is being passed parameters that it can't handle. </li></ol>My best suggestion to you is to make sure that all the parameters are correct (hostname doesn't contain typos, port is correct and so on), and if they are, try fiddling with your Windows internet settings until you find a combination that works. Cheers! -- David --

I have the same problem since updating ZoneAlarm.

Kees

<P>I have the same problem since updating ZoneAlarm.</P> <P>Kees</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Turn off antivirus and firewall(s) then try again.  I've seen ESET NOD32 cause similar issues when POP3 scanning is enabled (it actually assumes control of port 110).

Turn off antivirus and firewall(s) then try again.  I've seen ESET NOD32 cause similar issues when POP3 scanning is enabled (it actually assumes control of port 110).

Switching off ZA made no difference; 'connect failed' continues at the first attempt to download mail.

Trying to solve this problem by activating ' create session logs' with Internet Mail Options leads to other problem; Pegasus disactivates this setting by itself after I activate it. This is really strange.

Kees

<P>Switching off ZA made no difference; 'connect failed' continues at the first attempt to download mail.</P> <P>Trying to solve this problem by activating ' create session logs' with Internet Mail Options leads to other problem; Pegasus disactivates this setting by itself after I activate it. This is really strange.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Kees</P>

I had the same problem (see my two earlier posts) but found a solution on a german forum. Adding Run Control Option -Z 1024 did the trick for me.

Kees

<P>I had the same problem (see my two earlier posts) but found a solution on a german forum. Adding Run Control Option -Z 1024 did the trick for me.</P> <P>Kees</P>

Once re-installed as an upgrade, all worked, but I too had the failed to connect error, it was necessary to internet security/web browsing/pesonal firewall/programme controland then find "david harris pegasus mail" (odd title?) and set this to allow. Once I did this normal in/out mail worked again

Once re-installed as an upgrade, all worked, but I too had the failed to connect error, it was necessary to internet security/web browsing/pesonal firewall/programme controland then find "david harris pegasus mail" (odd title?) and set this to allow. Once I did this normal in/out mail worked again
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft