Community Discussions and Support
Using external list of blacklisted IPs

I think that maintaining a blacklist is a waste of time. Blacklisting services are well known to be inaccurate and problematic for entry removal.

You should trust your Spam detection engine (SpamHalter?). If your Spam detection engine causes false positives, it needs to be trained some more.  If the sender is coming from an IP address as apposed to a domain name, it is most likely to be a home PC or random IP address (Mail-bot). In either of these cases the spammer does not need or want a reply, and he/she will change sending address frequently.

I suggest you focus on a content detection scheme and possible use of whitelisting friendly domains. 

Martin 

<p>I think that maintaining a blacklist is a waste of time. Blacklisting services are well known to be inaccurate and problematic for entry removal.</p><p>You should trust your Spam detection engine (SpamHalter?). If your Spam detection engine causes false positives, it needs to be trained some more.  If the sender is coming from an IP address as apposed to a domain name, it is most likely to be a home PC or random IP address (Mail-bot). In either of these cases the spammer does not need or want a reply, and he/she will change sending address frequently.</p><p>I suggest you focus on a content detection scheme and possible use of whitelisting friendly domains. </p><p>Martin </p>

Hello everyone,

I have a list (updated daily) of blacklisted IP addresses.  The list is huge (40K records) and I've tried many ways of getting it to search my SPAM folder.  I say search because I like to go through the list of records marked as spam and manually delete to make sure I don't miss anything important.  The daily number of spam records has increased and I'd like a way to weed down the known spam records.

My most recent and somewhat successful attemp was to manually (outside of PM) programatically create a mail filtering rule file and in PM apply it to the SPAM folder.  It worked but kept giving me an "infinite rule loop" error for which I had to keep hitting the OK button - and I had to abort it.  It did catch some but I think it was processing the whole file for every record and giving the error after each pass.

Any suggestions on how I can accomplish the above would be appreciated.

Thanks, Miky

<P>Hello everyone,</P> <P> I have a list (updated daily) of blacklisted IP addresses.  The list is huge (40K records) and I've tried many ways of getting it to search my SPAM folder.  I say search because I like to go through the list of records marked as spam and manually delete to make sure I don't miss anything important.  The daily number of spam records has increased and I'd like a way to weed down the known spam records.</P> <P>My most recent and somewhat successful attemp was to manually (outside of PM) programatically create a mail filtering rule file and in PM apply it to the SPAM folder.  It worked but kept giving me an "infinite rule loop" error for which I had to keep hitting the OK button - and I had to abort it.  It did catch some but I think it was processing the whole file for every record and giving the error after each pass.</P> <P> Any suggestions on how I can accomplish the above would be appreciated.</P> <P> Thanks, Miky</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft