Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Google Search in Pegasus

[quote]I doubt the revenue part would lead anywhere[/quote]

Not necessarily.  I believe that the Mozilla Corporation makes a huge chunk of its money through deals with Google making it the default search engine.

<p>[quote]I doubt the revenue part would lead anywhere[/quote]</p><p> Not necessarily.  I believe that the Mozilla Corporation makes a huge chunk of its money through deals with Google making it the default search engine.  </p>

Hi all

I already mentionned this idea a few month ago on the mailing lists. It would be both a convenient feature and a revenue stream for David.

The idea ia to be able to select any portion of text in an email (headers as well as body), right-click and choose an option "Search in Google". This would immediatly launch a search in Google for the selected terms.

I see 2 ways to handle the query:

1. Open a special window in Pegasus that would display the search result, using BearHTML to render the Google serach result page. From there, clicking any link would open the related page in the default web browser.
  2. Send the request directly to the default browser and open a window / page / tab in there with the search result. That would probably be the simplest way to implement the feature
Why would this be a convenient feature? Because it would allow for a very quick way of searching for additional information concerning an email message. Doing this search on an email address or an IP address in the headers (it should work from Raw view) would permit to do some troubleshooting or spammer tracing.

Why would it generate revenue? Because David would probably be able to pass an agreement with Google so that revenues would be generated everytime someone uses the features. Companies such as Opera and Mozilla already have such deals in place and make a good part of their income with them.

On top of that, There could be a search box in the toolbar that would let a user enter any search term, although I don't see this as being as useful as the right-click one.

What do you think?

Cheers!
Hi all I already mentionned this idea a few month ago on the mailing lists. It would be both a convenient feature and a revenue stream for David. The idea ia to be able to select any portion of text in an email (headers as well as body), right-click and choose an option "Search in Google". This would immediatly launch a search in Google for the selected terms. I see 2 ways to handle the query: <OL><LI>Open a special window in Pegasus that would display the search result, using BearHTML to render the Google serach result page. From there, clicking any link would open the related page in the default web browser. </LI><LI>Send the request directly to the default browser and open a window / page / tab in there with the search result. That would probably be the simplest way to implement the feature</LI></OL>Why would this be a convenient feature? Because it would allow for a very quick way of searching for additional information concerning an email message. Doing this search on an email address or an IP address in the headers (it should work from Raw view) would permit to do some troubleshooting or spammer tracing. Why would it generate revenue? Because David would probably be able to pass an agreement with Google so that revenues would be generated everytime someone uses the features. Companies such as Opera and Mozilla already have such deals in place and make a good part of their income with them. On top of that, There could be a search box in the toolbar that would let a user enter any search term, although I don't see this as being as useful as the right-click one. What do you think? Cheers!

I doubt the revenue part would lead anywhere, but the idea of having context-activated searches like this is definitely on the development list for the next release.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>I doubt the revenue part would lead anywhere, but the idea of having context-activated searches like this is definitely on the development list for the next release. Cheers! -- David --</p><p>  </p>

Thanks David. That's excellent news. Coupled with the existing "open selection as hyperlink", Pegasus will have a very nice set of browser integration tools.

As for the revenue part, even if it's not a lot, I'm sure it would be a nice addition to support the development of Pegasus and Mercury.

Thanks David. That's excellent news. Coupled with the existing "open selection as hyperlink", Pegasus will have a very nice set of browser integration tools. As for the revenue part, even if it's not a lot, I'm sure it would be a nice addition to support the development of Pegasus and Mercury.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft