Community Discussions and Support
Bindery or NDS (eDir) mode better / easier to maintain?

Based on my experience, I agree with David (always a safe option here!), use NDS with Netware > 4.1. I found that it was virtually maintenance free on the server side. So sweet! I really liked the NWAdmin plugin which used to be available from the University of Lyon (France).

I also agree that Netware 6.5 is the best server operating system ever. Sigh.  

-- Alan

<p>Based on my experience, I agree with David (always a safe option here!), use NDS with Netware > 4.1. I found that it was virtually maintenance free on the server side. So sweet! I really liked the NWAdmin plugin which used to be available from the University of Lyon (France). </p><p>I also agree that Netware 6.5 is the best server operating system ever. Sigh.   </p><p>-- Alan  </p>

I have always run Pegasus Mail in bindery mode (since NW 3.x - now on 6.5 SP6). It is super easy to maintain but I have found some pretty easy ways to configure LDAP info that could be used by the NDS mode of PMail.

I have a multi-server environment on campus and found that space on my SYS volume is a concern (using the MAIL directories). The only other reasons I have to switch is the excellent Pegasus Plugin for NWAdmin (NDS) and having to run tools like CH_SYN on each server manually. I must say I like that the MAIL directory is "hidden" from users (bindery) and am uneasy about placing mail in their home directory (i.e. NDS mode). Does anyone have a strong reason I should switch?

<p>I have always run Pegasus Mail in bindery mode (since NW 3.x - now on 6.5 SP6). It is super easy to maintain but I have found some pretty easy ways to configure LDAP info that could be used by the NDS mode of PMail. I have a multi-server environment on campus and found that space on my SYS volume is a concern (using the MAIL directories). The only other reasons I have to switch is the excellent Pegasus Plugin for NWAdmin (NDS) and having to run tools like CH_SYN on each server manually. I must say I like that the MAIL directory is "hidden" from users (bindery) and am uneasy about placing mail in their home directory (i.e. NDS mode). Does anyone have a strong reason I should switch? </p>

There's no doubt that Bindery mode is much easier to support - PROVIDED you're running NetWare 3.x. I definitely wouldn't recommend using Bindery mode under NetWare 4 or later, because NDS's bindery emulation is just too flaky to trust.

That said, NDS mode isn't hugely more maintenance-intensive, and it does give some neat advantages, such as true domain separation within your tree (you can have multiple domains pointing to different segments of your NDS tree), and considerably easier backup (I assume you're backing up your users' home directories, so they get their mail backed up for free).

Since you say you're using NetWare 6.5, I believe that on its own is a compelling reason for you to change. The problem is that any time the NDS database needs to be rebuilt, all users' bindery IDs are unilaterally changed, and the system makes no attempt to associate the new IDs with the old SYS:MAIL directories, making the cleanup process a real bear. This was a real problem under NetWare 4 and 5, where NDS rebuilds were depressingly common, but it seems to be much less an issue under NetWare 6.5 (which I regard as the best server operating system the world has ever seen, and I am at a loss to understand its decline).

It's your call in the end.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>There's no doubt that Bindery mode is much easier to support - PROVIDED you're running NetWare 3.x. I definitely wouldn't recommend using Bindery mode under NetWare 4 or later, because NDS's bindery emulation is just too flaky to trust. That said, NDS mode isn't hugely more maintenance-intensive, and it does give some neat advantages, such as true domain separation within your tree (you can have multiple domains pointing to different segments of your NDS tree), and considerably easier backup (I assume you're backing up your users' home directories, so they get their mail backed up for free). Since you say you're using NetWare 6.5, I believe that on its own is a compelling reason for you to change. The problem is that any time the NDS database needs to be rebuilt, all users' bindery IDs are unilaterally changed, and the system makes no attempt to associate the new IDs with the old SYS:MAIL directories, making the cleanup process a real bear. This was a real problem under NetWare 4 and 5, where NDS rebuilds were depressingly common, but it seems to be much less an issue under NetWare 6.5 (which I regard as the best server operating system the world has ever seen, and I am at a loss to understand its decline). It's your call in the end. Cheers! -- David -- </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft