Announcements
Mercury/32 v4.61 now available

Mercury/32 v4.61 has now been released for public consumption - please visit http://www.pmail.com/m32_461.htm for more information and downloads.

I apologize for the rather delayed release - we've had a very frustrating sequence of last-minute problems come up, all of them fairly small, but significant enough to justify holding the release while they were fixed.

The new feature list for this release appears at the end of this message.

Cheers to all!

-- David --

V4.61 includes a large number of minor fixes (over 300

by our count), and some notable new features:

• Notifications and alerts

If you purchase (or have already purchased) a

license for Mercury, you can now enable automatic checks

for new releases and updates, security bulletins and

general information about the program. To take advantage

of this feature, see the new Alerts and notifications

option on the Mercury Configuration menu..

• Lingering Mailboxes  This

is a new performance option for the MercuryI IMAP server,

especially aimed at people using "stateless"

IMAP clients such as webmail packages. When it is turned

on, Mercury defers breaking down the memory image of

the mailbox when an IMAP connection terminates; if a

new connection for the mailbox arrives before the standdown

period has elapsed, it can be reused at once, hugely

reducing the startup time for IMAP connections. Enable

this option in the "Files" page of the "Core

module" configuration dialog.

• IMAP INBOX now cached

The Mercury IMAP server now caches the IMAP inbox,

meaning that connecting to it will be significantly

faster than in previous versions.

• IMAP Server performace

improved

Server performance, particularly

when opening large folders, has been dramatically improved.

• DST-proof POP3 UIDs

Because of a long-standing bug in Windows, the

MercuryP POP3 server in the past reported different

UIDs for messages after a change in Daylight Savings

Time, resulting in clients re-downloading messages they

had already seen. This problem has been fixed in v4.61,

but the fix is disabled by default, because enabling

it will cause one last re-download. You can turn it

on whenever you're ready in the MercuryP configuration

dialog.

• MB_MLSS heavily improved

MB_MLSS, the MercuryB module that allows web-based

management of mailing list subscriber settings, has

been heavily overhauled. It now has options allowing

subscribers to retrieve their passwords if they have

forgotten them, and to change settings for all lists

to which they are subscribed. As well, users can now

select lists from drop-down controls instead of typing

in their names (if you have 50 or fewer lists), and

the service manipulates mailing lists directly, rather

than going through the Maiser mail server interface.

• Mailing list password auto-assignment

Mercury's mailing list manager can now be instructed

to auto-assign passwords for new subscribers to mailing

lists. This, combined with the new capabilities of the

MB_MLSS module (see above) makes mailing list management

easier and more secure.

• SMTP server enforces size

restrictions

In previous versions of

Mercury, the SMTP server could be told to refuse incoming

messages larger than a particular size, but only if

the connected client used the ESMTP SIZE declaration.

In v4.61, MercuryS now refuses *any* message larger

than the size you specify, whether or not there is a

SIZE declaration. This change *might* confuse some older

SMTP client programs (we expect this to be a very rare

occurrence if at all), but has become increasingly important

in the age of spam and mail-borne viruses.

• POP3 Server completely

overhauled

The MercuryP POP3 server

has been totally overhauled, and is now substantially

faster than in previous versions.

• POP3 login-time listing

constraints

This powerful new feature

allows users to control the messages the Mercury POP3

server will show them by adding a simple command to

their POP3 username... For example, if you only want

to see urgent messages from the "pmail.com"

domain, you would login to your POP3 mailbox as username

(urgent, from=@pmail.com). The constraints that are

available are described in more detail in the Mercury

manual and online help. We anticipate this feature

being especially useful for people who use cellphones

or other low-grade connectivity devices to check their

mail.

• MSendTo commandline mailer

This new utility allows you to send mail from

the commandline. It is quite sophisticated, and can

generate a wide range of message types, including digests

and unlimited numbers of MIME attachments. MSendTo can

be used in scripts or called from programs to send mail

via Mercury.

• Threading in the core module

In the past, the Mercury core module has been

single-threaded (meaning that it can only ever be doing

one thing at a time). With increasing processing of

mail via external processes such as Mercury policies,

SpamHalter, Content Control, filtering rules and so

on, the time it takes to process a message in the queue

has been getting longer and longer. As of v4.61, the

Mercury core module now supports limited threading (it

runs up to seven worker threads), which significantly

improves queue throughput on heavily-loaded systems.

• Many, many fixes,

including problems with IMAP UIDs being lost or duplicated

after crashes, problems with the loader queue quarantine

message being delivered multiple times and others.

As well, a comprehensive new developer guide and sample

code for people interested in developing their own Mercury

Daemons is nearing completion and will be made available

in the next few weeks: an announcement will be made here

when it is released.

<p>Mercury/32 v4.61 has now been released for public consumption - please visit <a href="http://www.pmail.com/m32_461.htm" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.pmail.com/m32_461.htm">http://www.pmail.com/m32_461.htm</a> for more information and downloads. I apologize for the rather delayed release - we've had a very frustrating sequence of last-minute problems come up, all of them fairly small, but significant enough to justify holding the release while they were fixed. The new feature list for this release appears at the end of this message. Cheers to all! -- David -- </p> <p> </p><hr> <p>V4.61 includes a large number of minor fixes (over 300 by our count), and some notable new features:</p> <ul> <li><i><font color="#333399">Notifications and alerts</font></i>  If you purchase (or have already purchased) a license for Mercury, you can now enable automatic checks for new releases and updates, security bulletins and general information about the program. To take advantage of this feature, see the new Alerts and notifications option on the Mercury Configuration menu..</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>Lingering Mailboxes </i></font> This is a new performance option for the MercuryI IMAP server, especially aimed at people using "stateless" IMAP clients such as webmail packages. When it is turned on, Mercury defers breaking down the memory image of the mailbox when an IMAP connection terminates; if a new connection for the mailbox arrives before the standdown period has elapsed, it can be reused at once, hugely reducing the startup time for IMAP connections. Enable this option in the "Files" page of the "Core module" configuration dialog.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>IMAP INBOX now cached</i></font>  The Mercury IMAP server now caches the IMAP inbox, meaning that connecting to it will be significantly faster than in previous versions.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><i><font color="#333399">IMAP Server performace improved</font></i>  Server performance, particularly when opening large folders, has been dramatically improved.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>DST-proof POP3 UIDs</i></font>  Because of a long-standing bug in Windows, the MercuryP POP3 server in the past reported different UIDs for messages after a change in Daylight Savings Time, resulting in clients re-downloading messages they had already seen. This problem has been fixed in v4.61, but the fix is disabled by default, because enabling it will cause one last re-download. You can turn it on whenever you're ready in the MercuryP configuration dialog.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>MB_MLSS heavily improved</i></font>  MB_MLSS, the MercuryB module that allows web-based management of mailing list subscriber settings, has been heavily overhauled. It now has options allowing subscribers to retrieve their passwords if they have forgotten them, and to change settings for all lists to which they are subscribed. As well, users can now select lists from drop-down controls instead of typing in their names (if you have 50 or fewer lists), and the service manipulates mailing lists directly, rather than going through the Maiser mail server interface.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>Mailing list password auto-assignment</i></font>  Mercury's mailing list manager can now be instructed to auto-assign passwords for new subscribers to mailing lists. This, combined with the new capabilities of the MB_MLSS module (see above) makes mailing list management easier and more secure.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><i><font color="#333399">SMTP server enforces size restrictions</font></i>  In previous versions of Mercury, the SMTP server could be told to refuse incoming messages larger than a particular size, but only if the connected client used the ESMTP SIZE declaration. In v4.61, MercuryS now refuses *any* message larger than the size you specify, whether or not there is a SIZE declaration. This change *might* confuse some older SMTP client programs (we expect this to be a very rare occurrence if at all), but has become increasingly important in the age of spam and mail-borne viruses.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><i><font color="#333399">POP3 Server completely overhauled</font></i>  The MercuryP POP3 server has been totally overhauled, and is now substantially faster than in previous versions.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>POP3 login-time listing constraints</i></font>  This powerful new feature allows users to control the messages the Mercury POP3 server will show them by adding a simple command to their POP3 username... For example, if you only want to see urgent messages from the "pmail.com" domain, you would login to your POP3 mailbox as username (urgent, from=@pmail.com). The constraints that are available are described in more detail in the Mercury manual and online help. We anticipate this feature being especially useful for people who use cellphones or other low-grade connectivity devices to check their mail.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><i><font color="#333399">MSendTo commandline mailer</font></i>  This new utility allows you to send mail from the commandline. It is quite sophisticated, and can generate a wide range of message types, including digests and unlimited numbers of MIME attachments. MSendTo can be used in scripts or called from programs to send mail via Mercury.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><font color="#333399"><i>Threading in the core module</i></font>  In the past, the Mercury core module has been single-threaded (meaning that it can only ever be doing one thing at a time). With increasing processing of mail via external processes such as Mercury policies, SpamHalter, Content Control, filtering rules and so on, the time it takes to process a message in the queue has been getting longer and longer. As of v4.61, the Mercury core module now supports limited threading (it runs up to seven worker threads), which significantly improves queue throughput on heavily-loaded systems.</li> </ul> <ul> <li><i><font color="#333399">Many, many fixes</font></i>, including problems with IMAP UIDs being lost or duplicated after crashes, problems with the loader queue quarantine message being delivered multiple times and others.</li> </ul> <p>As well, a comprehensive new developer guide and sample code for people interested in developing their own Mercury Daemons is nearing completion and will be made available in the next few weeks: an announcement will be made here when it is released.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft