Community Discussions and Support
Auto response to emails with no subject.

Thanks Rolf Lindby.

We get very little spam with blank subjects.. but we get quite a few from suppliers and clients that don't include the subject line.
I think it's good to make them include a subject... Makes it easier to find / store the email.

PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING SUPPORT

<P>Thanks Rolf Lindby.</P> <P>We get very little spam with blank subjects.. but we get quite a few from suppliers and clients that don't include the subject line. I think it's good to make them include a subject... Makes it easier to find / store the email.</P> <P>PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING SUPPORT</P>

Hi

In MercuryS we have enabled :

Refuse messages that have no 'subject' field
Refuse messages that have no or empty 'subject' fields

However we still get lots of calls asking why the email wasn't received.

Is there anyway to send a message to advise people their email was not delivered due to no subject !!

Thanks

PS: PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING.

<p>Hi</p><p>In MercuryS we have enabled :</p><p>Refuse messages that have no 'subject' field Refuse messages that have no or empty 'subject' fields</p><p>However we still get lots of calls asking why the email wasn't received.</p><p>Is there anyway to send a message to advise people their email was not delivered due to no subject !!</p><p>Thanks</p><p> PS: PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING.  </p>

Add global filter, trigger reply that message is invalid due to .... reason.

Add global filter, trigger reply that message is invalid due to .... reason.

Anyone any idea how I may do this ??

PS: DAVID - PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING.

<P>Anyone any idea how I may do this ??</P> <P>PS: DAVID - PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING.</P>

Go to Configuration/Filtering rules/Edit global rules. Add a rule of type Headers. Check "Subject" and "Exact match" but leave "Contains this text" blank. Select Action "Send a reply using a template". Create a template file with your message and set the path to it as Parameter. There is a sample template file, FAILURE.MER (located in the Mercury\MERCURY\ folder), that you can have a look at for how to create a template.

/Rolf 

<p>Go to Configuration/Filtering rules/Edit global rules. Add a rule of type Headers. Check "Subject" and "Exact match" but leave "Contains this text" blank. Select Action "Send a reply using a template". Create a template file with your message and set the path to it as Parameter. There is a sample template file, FAILURE.MER (located in the Mercury\MERCURY\ folder), that you can have a look at for how to create a template.</p><p>/Rolf </p>

[quote user="MartinB"]In MercuryS we have enabled :

Refuse messages that have no 'subject' field
Refuse messages that have no or empty 'subject' fields

However we still get lots of calls asking why the email wasn't received.[/quote]

Are these external senders? Their own mail system should provide them with a notification (DSN) with the text of the rejection - 'Message rejected: site policy does not permit empty Subject' or similar.

[quote]Is there anyway to send a message to advise people their email was not delivered due to no subject !![/quote]

Others have suggested methods to do this.  But I would reconsider your setup.  If you have this subject field setting to prevent spam, then it clearly isn't working well if it's blocking good mail.  Also, I don't see much spam without a subject, and the little I see probably has a forged sender address - so any reply you send back after delivery will go to an innocent third-party (backscatter).

I turn off those compliance settings and rely on other techniques (Graywall, Spamhalter, DNSBLs) to stop spam.

[quote user="MartinB"]In MercuryS we have enabled : <P>Refuse messages that have no 'subject' field Refuse messages that have no or empty 'subject' fields</P> <P>However we still get lots of calls asking why the email wasn't received.[/quote]</P> <P>Are these external senders? Their own mail system should provide them with a notification (DSN) with the text of the rejection - 'Message rejected: site policy does not permit empty Subject' or similar.</P> <P>[quote]Is there anyway to send a message to advise people their email was not delivered due to no subject !![/quote]</P> <P>Others have suggested methods to do this.  But I would reconsider your setup.  If you have this subject field setting to prevent spam, then it clearly isn't working well if it's blocking good mail.  Also, I don't see much spam without a subject, and the little I see probably has a forged sender address - so any reply you send back after delivery will go to an innocent third-party (backscatter).</P> <P>I turn off those compliance settings and rely on other techniques (Graywall, Spamhalter, DNSBLs) to stop spam.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft