Community Discussions and Support
Duplicate folder names: when are they permitted?

Duplicate folder names are one thing, duplicate folders (i.e. the same name in the header of the pmm file) are another.  The duplicates will cause problems with copy self and anytime the program uses the name only.  If the folders are actually duplicates one will not show up in the folder listing. 

The "Add mailbox to list" will be no problem unless the folders are actual duplicates.  Essentially the name you see does not come into play at all.  Here's the name from a PMM file and it will also show up in the hierarch.pm.  The original PMM filename was POL03F3A.PMM but I've changed that to PAYPAL.PMM.

8595DN8V:4F99:FOL03F3A
<p>Duplicate folder names are one thing, duplicate folders (i.e. the same name in the header of the pmm file) are another.  The duplicates will cause problems with copy self and anytime the program uses the name only.  If the folders are actually duplicates one will not show up in the folder listing.  </p><p> The "Add mailbox to list" will be no problem unless the folders are actual duplicates.  Essentially the name you see does not come into play at all.  Here's the name from a PMM file and it will also show up in the hierarch.pm.  The original PMM filename was POL03F3A.PMM but I've changed that to PAYPAL.PMM. </p>8595DN8V:4F99:FOL03F3A

I have been using Pegasus for decades (and have contributed to the "pot"). At some time I seem to remember that I had a problem with duplicate folder names. Back then, Pegasus didn't complain when the second folder was created (or renamed). What is the current situation?

Clearly

• Folder 1
  • Folder 1

won't (and shouldn't) work . But will Pegasus stop me from creating the second folder?

How about:

• Folder 1
    • Cats
  • Folder 2
    • Cats

And, if I add a mailbox, how about:

• My mailbox
    • Dogs
  • Joe, a user
    • Dogs

...chris

<p>I have been using Pegasus for decades (and have contributed to the "pot"). At some time I seem to remember that I had a problem with duplicate folder names. Back then, Pegasus didn't complain when the second folder was created (or renamed). What is the current situation?</p><p>Clearly</p><ul><li>Folder 1</li><li>Folder 1</li></ul><p>  won't (and shouldn't) work . But will Pegasus stop me from creating the second folder?</p><p> How about:</p><ul><li>Folder 1</li><ul><li>Cats</li></ul><li>Folder 2</li><ul><li>Cats</li></ul></ul><p>And, if I add a mailbox, how about:</p><ul><li>My mailbox </li><ul><li>Dogs</li></ul><li>Joe, a user </li><ul><li>Dogs </li></ul></ul><p> ...chris</p>

Duplicate folder names work except when the program is using the folder name only.  For example when using copy self only the folder name is used (not the internal folder name in the PMM file) and so when you point to a copy self folder the first one found is used.  It does not make any difference if these folders are in different trays/mailboxes or not. Filtering uses the internal name and so it's not a problem.

<p>Duplicate folder names work except when the program is using the folder name only.  For example when using copy self only the folder name is used (not the internal folder name in the PMM file) and so when you point to a copy self folder the first one found is used.  It does not make any difference if these folders are in different trays/mailboxes or not. Filtering uses the internal name and so it's not a problem. </p>

Thanks for the info.

I wish to view folders that are in an old home directory (and possibly move some to the current one). It is possible (indeed, likely) that some folder names will be the same in the two home directories, (humans being creatures of habit!). So should I be able to do safely the following: Folders | Add mailbox, choose User, enter the old home mailbox directory ? Both home directories are likely to have a Copy to Self folder.

...chris 

PS I was looking at my Pegasus Notes document. It says, in undated notes:

Pegasus does not fully understand a hierarchy of names of trays and folders. It gives unpredictable results if the same name appears twice. For example, ClientA | FY01 and ClientB | FY01 will give problems. Names must be unique across mailboxes, so tray and folder names in an archive must be distinct from those in My mailbox.

Pegasus keeps one hierarch.pm file for a user which contains tray and folder info for all mailboxes. So if you create an archived mailbox (e.g. MbArch as W:\Pegasus mail), hierach.pm remembers this: for ever! You cannot access it as R:\Pegasus mail. You cannot even move the archive to W:\Client1\Pegasus mail!

<quo></quo>

and

<quo>Tray Client3 was archived, but I forgot about the name-confusion problem and created a tray by the same name on the CDRW. Having moved the whole Client3 tray to CDRW (carefully, adding a <i>w</i> to the name of each tray name and folder name as I created them), I was then left with the Client3 tray in My mailbox. I could not delete it.</quo>

This was written before Pegasus had Identities. My problems may have been due to corrupted file(s). Any thoughts?

&lt;p&gt;Thanks for the info.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I wish to view folders that are in an old home directory (and possibly move some to the current one). It is possible (indeed, likely) that some folder names will be the same in the two home directories, (humans being creatures of habit!). So should I be able to do safely the following: Folders | Add mailbox, choose User, enter the old home mailbox directory ? Both home directories are likely to have a Copy to Self folder. &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;...chris&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;PS I was looking at my Pegasus Notes document. It says, in undated notes:&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Pegasus does not fully understand a hierarchy of names of trays and folders. It gives unpredictable results if the same name appears twice. For example, ClientA | FY01 and ClientB | FY01 will give problems. Names must be unique across mailboxes, so tray and folder names in an archive must be distinct from those in My mailbox. Pegasus keeps one hierarch.pm file for a user which contains tray and folder info for all mailboxes. So if you create an archived mailbox (e.g. MbArch as W:\Pegasus mail), hierach.pm remembers this: for ever! You cannot access it as R:\Pegasus mail. You cannot even move the archive to W:\Client1\Pegasus mail!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;quo&gt;&lt;/quo&gt; &lt;p&gt; and &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;quo&gt;Tray Client3 was archived, but I forgot about the name-confusion problem and created a tray by the same name on the CDRW. Having moved the whole Client3 tray to CDRW (carefully, adding a &lt;i&gt;w&lt;/i&gt; to the name of each tray name and folder name as I created them), I was then left with the Client3 tray in My mailbox. I could not delete it.&lt;/quo&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This was written before Pegasus had Identities. My problems may have been due to corrupted file(s). Any thoughts? &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft