Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus looses its internet settings.

I have the exact same problem. However, the users at my office are all using the English version.

I am pretty sure from testing I've done that the problem occurs on shutdown of Pegasus, when the ini file gets written out, not on startup as you might think.

I have the exact same problem. However, the users at my office are all using the English version. I am pretty sure from testing I've done that the problem occurs on shutdown of Pegasus, when the ini file gets written out, not on startup as you might think.

This was originally a reply to the thread 'SSL setting always vanishes '. Seems nobody noticed it so I post as a new thread.

Pegasus looses its internet settings. You have to write your e-mail adress again and add back pop and smtp definitions. At our site this happens roughly 1 time per year and per pc. All are running pegasus 4.4.1 in german with f-prot as antivirus scanner. By the way as this happened to me in some cases I googled this problem and did find some others but never  found a solution.

I do not think that it is a right problem here. Users have appropriate rights. If a needed file was locked by f-prot, should pegasus not notice it as it does with open files you try to attach?

This may be just a wild guess!
This all has to do with pmail.ini.
Pegasus seems to read internet settings from it and stores them into memory at start.  When it is closed these settings are written back. Could it be that the memory locations of these informations get deleted by some other nasty program. So when it comes to writing back there is nothing to write back.

As a kludge I will give my users a script to copy back an faultless pmail.ini over the corrupted one.

What do you think of this?

Thank you.

Bill 

<P>This was originally a reply to the thread '<A class=ForumNameRead title="" href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/225.aspx"><STRONG><FONT color=#4c7a9e>SSL setting always vanishes </FONT></STRONG></A>'. Seems nobody noticed it so I post as a new thread.</P> <P>Pegasus looses its internet settings. You have to write your e-mail adress again and add back pop and smtp definitions. At our site this happens roughly 1 time per year and per pc. All are running pegasus 4.4.1 in german with f-prot as antivirus scanner. By the way as this happened to me in some cases I googled this problem and did find some others but never  found a solution.</P> <P>I do not think that it is a right problem here. Users have appropriate rights. If a needed file was locked by f-prot, should pegasus not notice it as it does with open files you try to attach?</P> <P>This may be just a wild guess! This all has to do with pmail.ini. Pegasus seems to read internet settings from it and stores them into memory at start.  When it is closed these settings are written back. Could it be that the memory locations of these informations get deleted by some other nasty program. So when it comes to writing back there is nothing to write back.</P> <P>As a kludge I will give my users a script to copy back an faultless pmail.ini over the corrupted one.</P> <P>What do you think of this?</P> <P>Thank you.</P> <P> Bill </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Are you running the German build?

If so, please invite the German population to the international forum here at community.pmail.com and discuss this there too - in this case a cross post in German is just fine to get the - so far - silent international forum.

<P>Are you running the German build?</P> <P>If so, please invite the German population to the international forum here at community.pmail.com and discuss this there too - in this case a cross post in German is just fine to get the - so far - silent international forum.</P>

[:)]  Hello Peter,  I got the web address of this forum from a mail published in the German list pmail@uni-mannheim. So people there know, and hopefully will take part here too.

I myself am an old retired girl, not much use in giving advice, only once or twice could I help somebody in the German forum. Nevertheless I am a regular reader there and have had some terrific advice - a great bunch of people.

I have been using Pegasus since 1999 and bought the manual then. Now I run the 4.41 English version. I feel very safe with it - many thanks to David Harris and you.

Bye for now, best wishes

Ingrid 

<p>[:)]  Hello Peter,  I got the web address of this forum from a mail published in the German list pmail@uni-mannheim. So people there know, and hopefully will take part here too.</p><p>I myself am an old retired girl, not much use in giving advice, only once or twice could I help somebody in the German forum. Nevertheless I am a regular reader there and have had some terrific advice - a great bunch of people. I have been using Pegasus since 1999 and bought the manual then. Now I run the 4.41 English version. I feel very safe with it - many thanks to David Harris and you.</p><p>Bye for now, best wishes Ingrid </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Ingrid"] [:)]  Hello Peter,  I got the web address of this forum from a mail published in the German list pmail@uni-mannheim. So people there know, and hopefully will take part here too.

Bye for now, best wishes[/quote]

Danke.

[quote user="Ingrid"] [:)]  Hello Peter,  I got the web address of this forum from a mail published in the German list pmail@uni-mannheim. So people there know, and hopefully will take part here too. <P>Bye for now, best wishes[/quote]</P> <P>Danke.</P>

I have noticed this also in one of my users, no idea what caused the problem. She runs Antivir as her AV program.
I myself run the english version. Don't know if the language module is the culprit. I think I had this too once, but it is a rare occurrence.

Werner

I have noticed this also in one of my users, no idea what caused the problem. She runs Antivir as her AV program. I myself run the english version. Don't know if the language module is the culprit. I think I had this too once, but it is a rare occurrence. Werner
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft