Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus on Linux

1 - Was a link not created for you when Pmail installed?  Usually the icons that would normally be installed in Windows will be installed under the program category 'Wine' or 'Windows Programs'.  Otherwise, I'm not really sure, it could be a permissions thing.

2 - I haven't run into your window closing problem.  You might try playing with the window controls in 'winecfg' (there may be a program menu icon for this configuration program too).  You may also try setting the compatibility mode to Win98 or WinXP.  I usually set my to Win98 by default since it tends to be the most compatible.

3 - I haven't tried ssl/tls under Wine, they may not work at all.  If they do work I can't see why they would be any less secure.

<p>1 - Was a link not created for you when Pmail installed?  Usually the icons that would normally be installed in Windows will be installed under the program category 'Wine' or 'Windows Programs'.  Otherwise, I'm not really sure, it could be a permissions thing.</p><p>2 - I haven't run into your window closing problem.  You might try playing with the window controls in 'winecfg' (there may be a program menu icon for this configuration program too).  You may also try setting the compatibility mode to Win98 or WinXP.  I usually set my to Win98 by default since it tends to be the most compatible. </p><p>3 - I haven't tried ssl/tls under Wine, they may not work at all.  If they do work I can't see why they would be any less secure.  </p>

What are the possibilities of having a forum about using pegasus on Linux?
Is there any on-going project to develop a linux version of Pegasus mail?
I am shifting from Windows to Linux OS this Summer and definitely want to continue using Pegasus on Linux.

<p>What are the possibilities of having a forum about using pegasus on Linux? Is there any on-going project to develop a linux version of Pegasus mail? I am shifting from Windows to Linux OS this Summer and definitely want to continue using Pegasus on Linux. </p>

There are people who run Pegasus Mail successfully under Wine.

If there are enough of you, maybe Peter can be persuaded to create a new forum.

<p>There are people who run Pegasus Mail successfully under Wine.</p><p>If there are enough of you, maybe Peter can be persuaded to create a new forum. </p>

[quote user="Eliel Salles"]

What are the possibilities of having a forum about using pegasus on Linux?
Is there any on-going project to develop a linux version of Pegasus mail?
I am shifting from Windows to Linux OS this Summer and definitely want to continue using Pegasus on Linux.

[/quote]

I think that would be a good idea.  I haven't done it for a while but have run on Linux with Wine in the past.   I am willing to moderate it even if I am not an expert anymore if Peter wants to set a section for it.  

It can be done, in the past there were some interface look issues (color of buttons and such) but last time I tried was just after Pegasus Mail for windows 4.x came out and things have changed.   Back then Wine required some of the windows system files for good emulation.  I doubt thats necessary now.

[quote user="Eliel Salles"]<p>What are the possibilities of having a forum about using pegasus on Linux? Is there any on-going project to develop a linux version of Pegasus mail? I am shifting from Windows to Linux OS this Summer and definitely want to continue using Pegasus on Linux. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I think that would be a good idea.  I haven't done it for a while but have run on Linux with Wine in the past.   I am willing to moderate it even if I am not an expert anymore if Peter wants to set a section for it.   </p><p>  It can be done, in the past there were some interface look issues (color of buttons and such) but last time I tried was just after Pegasus Mail for windows 4.x came out and things have changed.   Back then Wine required some of the windows system files for good emulation.  I doubt thats necessary now.</p><p> </p><p>  </p>

Pegasus using POP3/SMTP works great under Wine these days, better than Windows in some respects.  However, the NDS support does not work nor can it without a native version.

Pegasus using POP3/SMTP works great under Wine these days, better than Windows in some respects.  However, the NDS support does not work nor can it without a native version.

It sounds like most people have little or no trouble running Pegasus on Linux using WINE.  Being quite new to the Linux world, however, I seem to be running into trouble.  When I run the program in WINE using the command:

wine /media/sda4/Documents/PMAIL/Programs/winpm-32.exe

It successfully brings up the welcome window but never makes it to the dialog box to enter my account name.  I'm not sure what the cause of this hang is.  Is it because I'm trying to run it off of another drive?  ( /media/sda4/ is a NTFS partition that is readable through an NTFS mounter application; I can't think of anywhere else I could put Pegasus to run it).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Walter F.

<p>It sounds like most people have little or no trouble running Pegasus on Linux using WINE.  Being quite new to the Linux world, however, I seem to be running into trouble.  When I run the program in WINE using the command:</p><p> wine /media/sda4/Documents/PMAIL/Programs/winpm-32.exe</p><p>It successfully brings up the welcome window but never makes it to the dialog box to enter my account name.  I'm not sure what the cause of this hang is.  Is it because I'm trying to run it off of another drive?  ( /media/sda4/ is a NTFS partition that is readable through an NTFS mounter application; I can't think of anywhere else I could put Pegasus to run it).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p><p> </p><p>- Walter F. </p>

Normally, you would install Pegasus using wine, and it would install by default into the emulated "C:\Pmail" or perhaps "C:\Program Files\Pmail", which in strict Linux parlance would likely be "/home/user-id/.wine/c-drive/pmail...".

Installing it into a non-Linux filesystem is NOT what wine expects.  Do the actual install through wine.

My wine version works OK, but there are a couple of quirks.  First, wine doesn't seem to be able to set up the normal desktop-resident link (launcher). You will have to set it up manually if you want to avoid staring Pegasus from a terminal session. Then, when you do execute Pegasus, closing any folder window caused Pegasus to exit.  A bit irritating, but not fatal -- nothing is lost.  Pegasus seems to do a normal exit.

After installing, copy all your existing .pmi and .pmm files from Windows to the proper location in the .wine/c-drive/Pmail.. file hierarchy, and you should be good to go.  You may also have to play around with the font settings for folders, lists, and reader  -- most Linus systems do not have all the same fonts as Windows.

<p>Normally, you would install Pegasus using wine, and it would install by default into the emulated "C:\Pmail" or perhaps "C:\Program Files\Pmail", which in strict Linux parlance would likely be "/home/user-id/.wine/c-drive/pmail...". </p><p>Installing it into a non-Linux filesystem is NOT what wine expects.  Do the actual install through wine.</p><p>My wine version works OK, but there are a couple of quirks.  First, wine doesn't seem to be able to set up the normal desktop-resident link (launcher). You will have to set it up manually if you want to avoid staring Pegasus from a terminal session. Then, when you do execute Pegasus, closing any folder window caused Pegasus to exit.  A bit irritating, but not fatal -- nothing is lost.  Pegasus seems to do a normal exit.  </p><p>After installing, copy all your existing .pmi and .pmm files from Windows to the proper location in the .wine/c-drive/Pmail.. file hierarchy, and you should be good to go.  You may also have to play around with the font settings for folders, lists, and reader  -- most Linus systems do not have all the same fonts as Windows. </p>

If you're running K/Ubuntu, the MS fonts can be installed from the package msttfcorefonts in the Add/Remove packages program (you may need to enable the universe/multiverse repositories first though).

If you're running K/Ubuntu, the MS fonts can be installed from the package msttfcorefonts in the Add/Remove packages program (you may need to enable the universe/multiverse repositories first though).

What's Davids opinion about opening Pmail to open source ?

I know that David had mentioned that the code has some windows-specific specialities .. but maybe community has ideas about restructuring code-design

and rebuild the windows-centric parts of code.

Im my opinion Pmail ist better then even thunderbird, so it should be worth the work of porting to linux.

cu

Guenter

<p>What's Davids opinion about opening Pmail to open source ?</p><p>I know that David had mentioned that the code has some windows-specific specialities .. but maybe community has ideas about restructuring code-design</p><p>and rebuild the windows-centric parts of code.</p><p>Im my opinion Pmail ist better then even thunderbird, so it should be worth the work of porting to linux.</p><p> cu</p><p>  Guenter  </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Guenter"]

What's Davids opinion about opening Pmail to open source

[/quote]

http://pmail.com/sundry/pmlinux.htm 

[quote user="Guenter"]<p>What's Davids opinion about opening Pmail to open source </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>http://pmail.com/sundry/pmlinux.htm </p>

I am doing some test with the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. I have installed Pegasus through Wine but am running into some of the same problems mentioned in this thread.

I can only run Pegasus from a terminal session being unable to setup correctly the link file created at the desktop when going through the installation. Also closing a window in Pegasus exits the program. Has anyone found a way to solve these problems?  

Another question. I always send e-mails using ssl/tls. Does anyone know of any security issue related to using Pegasus through Wine?

I am a new Linux user, any help provided is very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

<p>I am doing some test with the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. I have installed Pegasus through Wine but am running into some of the same problems mentioned in this thread. </p><p>I can only run Pegasus from a terminal session being unable to setup correctly the link file created at the desktop when going through the installation. Also closing a window in Pegasus exits the program. Has anyone found a way to solve these problems?  </p><p>Another question. I always send e-mails using ssl/tls. Does anyone know of any security issue related to using Pegasus through Wine? </p><p>I am a new Linux user, any help provided is very much welcome. Thanks in advance.  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft