Community Discussions and Support
F-Prot support ended tonight

Well, I installed ClamWall instead of F-Prot. It's working smoothely so far - promising!

Cheers!

<p>Well, I installed ClamWall instead of F-Prot. It's working smoothely so far - promising!</p><p>Cheers! </p>

It was exactly midnight tonight when mercury all in a sudden said: "job killed by policy post-exception" for each incoming mail. The generated postmaster-messages read:

Notice of policy exception from mercury:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The attached message has caused a mail server policy exception and is being
referred to you for action.

Message sender: <xxx@yyy.zz>
Name of policy entry: Fprot

The policy's task generated the following diagnostic information explaining
why this message caused an exception:

------------ Start of result file -------------------

Abnormal termination - Unrecoverable Error
Internal error. English.tx0 or Sign.def or Macro.def missing/corrupted

------------ End of result file ---------------------
We used a F-Prot policy task in mercury for more than 5 years now - it was a great feature needing no administration at all, automatically fetching the virus-definitions via FTP every day...
Taking a look at www.f-prot.com I found that there is no more DOS-version of F-Prot, no siganture files - nothing but the message:
Please note! 

Due to diminishing support from Microsoft for Windows 98, 98SE and ME, the
version 3 of F-PROT Antivirus for Windows has been ceased with the current subscription.
FRISK Software will continue its support and the virus signature files updates
for a few more months but will be discontinued completely sometime later this year.
This is slightly ahead of the previously announced schedule.
Seems the time has come to say goodbye F-Prot? Can someone recommend a reliable scanner working with mercury?
Thanks everyone! 
&lt;p&gt;It was exactly midnight tonight when mercury all in a sudden said: &quot;job killed by policy post-exception&quot; for each incoming mail. The generated postmaster-messages read:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;Notice of policy exception from &lt;i&gt;mercury&lt;/i&gt;: --------------------------------------------------------------------- The attached message has caused a mail server policy exception and is being referred to you for action. Message sender: &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:rburanics@hera.co.at&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:rburanics@hera.co.at&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-rfc2396E&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;xxx@yyy.zz&amp;gt;&lt;/a&gt; Name of policy entry: Fprot The policy&#039;s task generated the following diagnostic information explaining why this message caused an exception: ------------ Start of result file ------------------- Abnormal termination - Unrecoverable Error Internal error. English.tx0 or Sign.def or Macro.def missing/corrupted ------------ End of result file ---------------------&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;We used a F-Prot policy task in mercury for more than 5 years now - it was a great feature needing no administration at all, automatically fetching the virus-definitions via FTP every day...&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;Taking a look at www.f-prot.com I found that there is no more DOS-version of F-Prot, no siganture files - nothing but the message:&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;b style=&quot;padding: 2px; background-color: rgb(0, 51, 102); color: white;&quot;&gt;Please note!&lt;/b&gt; Due to diminishing support from Microsoft for Windows 98, 98SE and ME, the version 3 of F-PROT Antivirus for Windows has been ceased with the current subscription. FRISK Software will continue its support and the virus signature files updates for a few more months but will be discontinued completely sometime later this year. This is slightly ahead of the previously announced schedule. &lt;/pre&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;Seems the time has come to say goodbye F-Prot? Can someone recommend a reliable scanner working with mercury?&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;Thanks everyone! &lt;/pre&gt;

Use Clamwall - distributed with recent versions of Mercury.  It's faster and more flexible than fprot.

Fprot have been threatening to withdraw v3 definitions for a long time and many have found alternative solutions now both for emails and general protection.

&lt;P&gt;Use Clamwall -&amp;nbsp;distributed with recent versions of Mercury.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s faster and more flexible than fprot.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Fprot have been threatening to withdraw v3 definitions for a long time and many have found alternative solutions now both for emails and general protection.&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft