Community Discussions and Support
Multiple Domain Question

ehh what? M/32 doesn't allow local usernames like user@domain.com

Sure is does in aliasing. Core then will deliver the mail using this full email address.  

If you use a local username like USER in an alias the X-Envelope-To: address will contain the local username USER.  If this account is auto forwarded then the local username USER shows up as the MAIL FROM: address and since it's not a full SMTP email address it is bounced.  I've asked David to change this to add the mail server domain if none exists but so far nothing has changed.

<blockquote>ehh what? M/32 doesn't allow local usernames like user@domain.com </blockquote><p>Sure is does in aliasing. Core then will deliver the mail using this full email address.  </p><p>If you use a local username like USER in an alias the X-Envelope-To: address will contain the local username USER.  If this account is auto forwarded then the local username USER shows up as the MAIL FROM: address and since it's not a full SMTP email address it is bounced.  I've asked David to change this to add the mail server domain if none exists but so far nothing has changed. </p><p> </p>

Greetings!

I have read through the manual and the posts and I am still fairly confused.  I have three domains - d1.org, d2.org, d3.com for non-profs/charities that I volunteer for.  Two of the three share users.  I set up the domain record so that both are handled under the same user set in the one instance of Mercury that is running.

d3.com needs a seperate set of users, some identical, and I want to run a different instance of Mercury to handle this.  But I am confused as to how exactly to do it.  It has been a long hot summer here and my brain is just not wrapping around this.  Sorry.

Thank you for any help!

-Larry

<P>Greetings!</P> <P>I have read through the manual and the posts and I am still fairly confused.  I have three domains - d1.org, d2.org, d3.com for non-profs/charities that I volunteer for.  Two of the three share users.  I set up the domain record so that both are handled under the same user set in the one instance of Mercury that is running.</P> <P> d3.com needs a seperate set of users, some identical, and I want to run a different instance of Mercury to handle this.  But I am confused as to how exactly to do it.  It has been a long hot summer here and my brain is just not wrapping around this.  Sorry.</P> <P>Thank you for any help!</P> <P>-Larry</P>

Any defined mercury users exist in all domains in the local domains section.

If you run a separate instance for d3.com, you should set up a domain mailbox on the main Mercury (see help for howto) and poll this maildrop via POP3 from the second instance.

The other way would be to have usernames as d1-user1,d1-user2,d2-user1,d3-user1... and use aliases to map the required addresses to the required users.

<p>Any defined mercury users exist in all domains in the local domains section.</p><p>If you run a separate instance for d3.com, you should set up a domain mailbox on the main Mercury (see help for howto) and poll this maildrop via POP3 from the second instance.</p><p>The other way would be to have usernames as d1-user1,d1-user2,d2-user1,d3-user1... and use aliases to map the required addresses to the required users.  </p>

OK, starting to get there.  Are there any special requirements to run a second instance?  Do I only install the mercuryD module for the second instance?

OK, starting to get there.  Are there any special requirements to run a second instance?  Do I only install the mercuryD module for the second instance?

The only requirements are that the second instance be completely separate from the first.  For example, I run two instances on my workstation.  I installed one in c:\mercury and the other in c:\merwin.  One instance is working with Netware, the other with Windows.  Both of these instances are getting their mail via a third gateway Mercury/32 system using domain mailboxes, one via MercuryD and the other via MercuryS.  Both instances are sending mail via MercuryC to the gateway server.

As long as you keep them separate, you'll have no problems.  The servers (MercuryS, MercuryB, MercuryI and MercuryP) must be running on different ports if you only have a single TCP/IP IP address bound on the system.

In your case I would suspect that you would be running  MercuryS, MercuryD and MercuryP on the second instance for the users to get/send their mail and if so you are going to have to something other than port 25 and 110.  Of course this will vary since you could use the other server for sending and/or use Pegasus Mail which does not need to use any POP3 or SMTP setup.  The system is really flexible and it really does depend on what you are really trying to do.

<p>The only requirements are that the second instance be completely separate from the first.  For example, I run two instances on my workstation.  I installed one in c:\mercury and the other in c:\merwin.  One instance is working with Netware, the other with Windows.  Both of these instances are getting their mail via a third gateway Mercury/32 system using domain mailboxes, one via MercuryD and the other via MercuryS.  Both instances are sending mail via MercuryC to the gateway server.</p><p>As long as you keep them separate, you'll have no problems.  The servers (MercuryS, MercuryB, MercuryI and MercuryP) must be running on different ports if you only have a single TCP/IP IP address bound on the system.</p><p>In your case I would suspect that you would be running  MercuryS, MercuryD and MercuryP on the second instance for the users to get/send their mail and if so you are going to have to something other than port 25 and 110.  Of course this will vary since you could use the other server for sending and/or use Pegasus Mail which does not need to use any POP3 or SMTP setup.  The system is really flexible and it really does depend on what you are really trying to do.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

[quote user="lm-ohwf"]  d3.com needs a seperate set of users, some identical, and I want to run a different instance of Mercury to handle this.  [/quote]

You can have multiple installs, but if the user count is small there is no need to run multiple installs.

If you configure local users with names like user1 user2 user3 etc, and connect aliases to the local users you can host as many domains as you like. Mercury allows domain cross-mailing meaning that "dilberts-left-nut" is correct in that all local users exists in all local domains. But if you publicly propagate the aliases, then this isn't a real problem.

Your resulting aliases would then be something like:

shortname@domain1.com == user1
anothershortname@domain2.com == user2
athirdshortname@domain3.com == user3

<P>[quote user="lm-ohwf"]  d3.com needs a seperate set of users, some identical, and I want to run a different instance of Mercury to handle this.  [/quote]</P> <P>You can have multiple installs, but if the user count is small there is no need to run multiple installs.</P> <P>If you configure local users with names like user1 user2 user3 etc, and connect aliases to the local users you can host as many domains as you like. Mercury allows domain cross-mailing meaning that "dilberts-left-nut" is correct in that all local users exists in all local domains. But if you publicly propagate the aliases, then this isn't a real problem.</P> <P>Your resulting aliases would then be something like:</P> <P><A href="mailto:shortname@domain1.com">shortname@domain1.com</A> == user1 <A href="mailto:anothershortname@domain2.com">anothershortname@domain2.com</A> == user2 <A href="mailto:athirdshortname@domain3.com">athirdshortname@domain3.com</A> == user3</P>

Your resulting aliases would then be something like:

shortname@domain1.com == user1
anothershortname@domain2.com == user2
athirdshortname@domain3.com == user3

The use of simple usernames for delivery will cause problems with auto forwarding and I would recommend that you always use full SMTP email addresses in aliasing.

firstname.lastname@domain1.com == user1@domain1.com
firstname.lastname@domain2.com == user2@domain2.com
firstname.lastname@domain3.com == user3@domain3.com

<blockquote><p>Your resulting aliases would then be something like:</p><p><a href="mailto:shortname@domain1.com">shortname@domain1.com</a> == user1 <a href="mailto:anothershortname@domain2.com">anothershortname@domain2.com</a> == user2 <a href="mailto:athirdshortname@domain3.com">athirdshortname@domain3.com</a> == user3</p></blockquote><p>The use of simple usernames for delivery will cause problems with auto forwarding and I would recommend that you always use full SMTP email addresses in aliasing. </p> <p><a href="mailto:shortname@domain1.com">firstname.lastname@domain1.com</a> == user1@domain1.com <a href="mailto:anothershortname@domain2.com">firstname.lastname@domain2.com</a> == user2@domain2.com <a href="mailto:athirdshortname@domain3.com">firstname.lastname@domain3.com</a> == user3@domain3.com</p><p> </p>

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft