Community Discussions and Support
access to multiple usersboxes on a Novell Network

[quote user="dkocmoud"]

I don't understand why the original poster is not interested in using Mercury/32 to download the POP3 mail via Mercury/32's MercuryD module and have it placed into the public folder (once the next version ships, which supports delivering new mail to a public folder). [/quote]

euh... i'm not using Mercury because i'm using a other mailserver at this moment.  I know Mercury only by name... never installed it ...never seen it..
But... you made me curious ... just put my finger on the Mercury manual.... maybe i will install it and play around with it for a while

looking forward to the most intresting part (concerning this thread) ... dropping mail in a publc folder

This thread is closed for me, or resolved.

Most important things are :
Use public folders to share  mailfolders
Prevent that several users have access to a same mailbox at the time
Only share the new mail folder in a "add mailbox to list" option
Be aware that there is a "user training issue" involved

or keep it simple and
Start Pegasus Mail with the "-U <username>" commandline option to force Pegasus Mail to start up as that other user.

greetings and txs.

[quote user=&quot;dkocmoud&quot;] &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;I don&#039;t understand why the original poster is not interested in using Mercury/32 to download the POP3 mail via Mercury/32&#039;s MercuryD module and have it placed into the public folder (once the next version ships, which supports delivering new mail to a public folder). [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;euh... i&#039;m not using Mercury because i&#039;m using a other mailserver at this moment.&amp;nbsp; I know Mercury only by name... never installed it ...never seen it.. But... you made me curious ... just put my finger on the Mercury manual.... maybe i will install it and play around with it for a while &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;looking forward to the most intresting part (concerning this thread) ... dropping mail in a publc folder&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;This thread is closed for me, or resolved.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;Most important things are : Use public folders to share&amp;nbsp; mailfolders Prevent that several users have access to a same mailbox at the time Only share the new mail folder in a &quot;add mailbox to list&quot; option Be aware that there is a &quot;user training issue&quot; involved&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;or keep it simple and Start Pegasus Mail with the &quot;-U &amp;lt;username&amp;gt;&quot; commandline option to force Pegasus Mail to start up as that other user. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;greetings and txs. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hello,

I'm using Pegasus on a Novell network.  Each user has access to his own default-mailbox.

Is it possible to allow users to have access to different mailboxes. (or shared mailfolders ?)

&lt;p&gt;Hello,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m using Pegasus on a Novell network.&amp;nbsp; Each user has access to his own default-mailbox.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it possible to allow users to have access to different mailboxes. (or shared mailfolders ?) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Use public folders for this - go to Tools|Public folders for more info. The help is quite extensive.

As an aside, one of the new features in Mercury/32 v4.5 (which really *will* be out very soon now) is the ability to deliver mail directly into Pegasus Mail public folders via aliases.

Cheers!

-- David --

Use public folders for this - go to Tools|Public folders for more info. The help is quite extensive. As an aside, one of the new features in Mercury/32 v4.5 (which really *will* be out very soon now) is the ability to deliver mail directly into Pegasus Mail public folders via aliases. Cheers! -- David --

As an alternative to the public folder option (which is btw best suited for the job): <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1.  Create a new folder somewhere on the Netware server. Make sure the users (or groups) have file system access to this folder. 

From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Directory path, <enter the path of the directory you just created> and give the mailbox a name

I've got such ‘shared’ mailboxes for multiple groups of users. They can create folders, share e-mail etc. You can’t use filing trays though.

2.  In the same way you can add an extra mailbox that point to another user’s default mail directory.

As long as the user that tries to access the mailbox got sufficient file system rights that works just fine:

From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Username, <enter the full NDS username> and give the mailbox a name

Ron

&lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;As an alternative to the public folder option (which is btw best suited for the job):&amp;nbsp;&lt;?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;1. &lt;SPAN style=&quot;mso-spacerun: yes&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/SPAN&gt;Create a new folder somewhere on the Netware server. Make sure the users (or groups) have file system access to this folder.&amp;nbsp;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Directory path, &amp;lt;enter the path of the directory you just created&amp;gt; and give the mailbox a name&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;I&#039;ve got such&amp;nbsp;&lsquo;shared&rsquo; mailboxes for multiple groups of users. They can create folders, share e-mail etc. You can&rsquo;t use filing trays though. &lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;2. &lt;SPAN style=&quot;mso-spacerun: yes&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/SPAN&gt;In the same way you can add an extra mailbox that point to another user&rsquo;s default mail directory.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;As long as the user that tries to access the mailbox&amp;nbsp;got sufficient file system rights that works just fine:&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Username, &amp;lt;enter the full NDS username&amp;gt; and give the mailbox a name&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;Ron&lt;/P&gt;

If you simply want to connect to another user's mailbox (whether in one of the NetWare modes or in multi-user standalone mode), you can do that via 2 different ways:

* You can mount their mailbox within your Pegasus Mail session via the Folders -> Add Mailbox To List... menu option, then select the Username radio button and type in the other user's username; or

* Start Pegasus Mail with the "-U <username>" commandline option to force Pegasus Mail to start up as that other user.  For multi-user standalone mode, use the "-i <username>" commandline option instead.

Of course you will need file rights to the other user's mailbox and (for NetWare Bindery or NDS mode) you will need to be a member of the BECOME group (in NDS mode, this group should be created within your OU).

&lt;P&gt;If you simply want to connect to another user&#039;s mailbox (whether in one of the NetWare modes or in multi-user standalone mode), you can do that via 2 different ways:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;* You can mount their mailbox within your Pegasus Mail session via the Folders -&amp;gt; Add Mailbox To List... menu option, then select the Username radio button and type in the other user&#039;s username; or&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;* Start Pegasus Mail with the &quot;-U &amp;lt;username&amp;gt;&quot; commandline option to force Pegasus Mail to start up as that other user.&amp;nbsp; For multi-user standalone mode, use the &quot;-i &amp;lt;username&amp;gt;&quot; commandline option instead.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Of course you will need file rights to the other user&#039;s mailbox and (for NetWare Bindery or NDS mode) you will need to be a member of the BECOME group (in NDS mode, this group should be created within your OU).&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="NetwareRulez"]

As an alternative to the public folder option (which is btw best suited for the job): 

1.  Create a new folder somewhere on the Netware server. Make sure the users (or groups) have file system access to this folder. From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Directory path, <enter the path of the directory you just created> and give the mailbox a name. I've got such ‘shared’ mailboxes for multiple groups of users. They can create folders, share e-mail etc. You can’t use filing trays though.

[/quote]

This really isn't a good idea, and will lead to folder damage and/or loss of data eventually. The basic Pegasus Mail folder format is inherently not sharable, and having more than one user trying to access it at the same time will inevitably lead to problems. Public folders are designed to be shared and are safe for that purpose.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;NetwareRulez&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;As an alternative to the public folder option (which is btw best suited for the job):&amp;nbsp;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;1. &lt;span style=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;Create a new folder somewhere on the Netware server. Make sure the users (or groups) have file system access to this folder. From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Directory path, &amp;lt;enter the path of the directory you just created&amp;gt; and give the mailbox a name. I&#039;ve got such&amp;nbsp;&lsquo;shared&rsquo; mailboxes for multiple groups of users. They can create folders, share e-mail etc. You can&rsquo;t use filing trays though. &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;[/quote] This really isn&#039;t a good idea, and will lead to folder damage and/or loss of data eventually. The basic Pegasus Mail folder format is inherently not sharable, and having more than one user trying to access it at the same time will inevitably lead to problems. Public folders are designed to be shared and are safe for that purpose. Cheers! -- David --

Thanks for the feedback David!   I guess I'm just lucky not having any kinda problems over all these years.....  I'll keep my fingers crossed and wait for Merc 4.5

Ron

&lt;P&gt;Thanks for the feedback David!&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;I guess I&#039;m just lucky not having any kinda problems over all these years.....&amp;nbsp; I&#039;ll keep my fingers crossed and wait for Merc 4.5&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Ron&lt;/P&gt;

2.  In the same way you can add an extra mailbox that point to another user’s default mail directory.

As long as the user that tries to access the mailbox got sufficient file system rights that works just fine:

From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Username, <enter the full NDS username> and give the mailbox a name

Ron

[/quote]

txs. this was just the solution I'm looking for.

Now UserA has access to the mailbox of userB.
Is it also possible that UserA gets a new-mail notification if UserB gets newmail ?

just recieve a notification... so it's Ok.

[quote user=&quot;NetwareRulez&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;2. &lt;span style=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;In the same way you can add an extra mailbox that point to another user&rsquo;s default mail directory.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;As long as the user that tries to access the mailbox&amp;nbsp;got sufficient file system rights that works just fine:&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Username, &amp;lt;enter the full NDS username&amp;gt; and give the mailbox a name&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot; style=&quot;margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;&quot;&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=&quot;3&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;Ron&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;txs. this was just the solution I&#039;m looking for.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;strike&gt;Now UserA has access to the mailbox of userB. Is it also possible that UserA gets a new-mail notification if UserB gets newmail ?&lt;/strike&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;just recieve a notification... so it&#039;s Ok.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;strike&gt;&lt;/strike&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

As an alternative to the public folder option (which is btw best suited for the job): 

1.  Create a new folder somewhere on the Netware server. Make sure the users (or groups) have file system access to this folder. 

From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Directory path, <enter the path of the directory you just created> and give the mailbox a name

I've got such ‘shared’ mailboxes for multiple groups of users. They can create folders, share e-mail etc. You can’t use filing trays though.

[/quote]

Ok, but David wrote :

"This really isn't a good idea, and will lead to folder damage and/or loss of data eventually.  "
So this is not a option.

Ron

[/quote]

Is this a good option, or should it also be avoid ?

the public folder option isn't useable because there is no direct delivery on a public mail folder 

[quote user=&quot;NetwareRulez&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;As an alternative to the public folder option (which is btw best suited for the job):&amp;nbsp;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;1. &lt;span style=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;Create a new folder somewhere on the Netware server. Make sure the users (or groups) have file system access to this folder.&amp;nbsp;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Directory path, &amp;lt;enter the path of the directory you just created&amp;gt; and give the mailbox a name&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;I&#039;ve got such&amp;nbsp;&lsquo;shared&rsquo; mailboxes for multiple groups of users. They can create folders, share e-mail etc. You can&rsquo;t use filing trays though. &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt; [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Ok, but David wrote : &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&quot;This really isn&#039;t a good idea, and will lead to folder damage and/or loss of data eventually.&amp;nbsp; &quot; So this is not a option. &amp;nbsp; [quote user=&quot;NetwareRulez&quot;] &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;2. &lt;span style=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;In the same way you can add an extra mailbox that point to another user&rsquo;s default mail directory.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;As long as the user that tries to access the mailbox&amp;nbsp;got sufficient file system rights that works just fine:&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;From Pegasus: Folders, Add mailbox to list, Username, &amp;lt;enter the full NDS username&amp;gt; and give the mailbox a name&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot; style=&quot;margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;&quot;&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;&quot; lang=&quot;EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=&quot;3&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;Ron&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is this a good option, or should it also be avoid ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;the public folder option isn&#039;t useable because there is no direct delivery on a public mail folder&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Please note that whenever you access another mailbox (whether it be another user's mailbox or just a folder on a server's shared drive somewhere), you need to make sure that only one person at a time is accessing that mailbox.  In these terms, then, it can be a good option if you are checking mail for another employee who is out sick, but it would be bad if 2 or more users are actively modifying and deleting emails from the same mail folders within the same mailbox simultaneously.  Many folks have said they've been lucky to not have had any problems yet, but they may be playing with fire.

Concerning the public folder delivery from Mercury/32, this will be supported in v4.5.  From the help file concerning the Aliases feature of Mercury/32:

Public folder aliases

Mercury's companion mail client, Pegasus Mail, supports the idea of Public Folders - folders that can be accessed by more than one user at a time. Mercury can deliver mail directly into Pegasus Mail's public folders in the proper format, ready to read. To allow Mercury to do this, you need to create an alias for each public folder to which delivery is to be enabled. The alias type for public folders is PUBLIC:, followed by the full path to the directory. So, if you have a public folder in P:\PUBLIC\MAIL1, and want any message sent to public1@example.com to be delivered automatically into that folder, you would create this alias:

public1@example.com = PUBLIC:p:\public\mail1

&lt;P&gt;Please note that whenever you access another mailbox (whether it be another user&#039;s mailbox&amp;nbsp;or just a folder on a server&#039;s shared drive somewhere), you need to make sure that only one person at a time is accessing that mailbox.&amp;nbsp; In these terms, then, it can be a good option if you are checking mail for another employee who is out sick, but it would be bad if 2 or more&amp;nbsp;users are actively modifying and deleting emails from the same mail folders within the same mailbox simultaneously.&amp;nbsp; Many folks have said they&#039;ve been lucky to not have had any problems yet, but they may be playing with fire.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Concerning the public folder delivery from Mercury/32, this will be supported in v4.5.&amp;nbsp; From the help file concerning the Aliases feature of Mercury/32:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Public folder aliases&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Mercury&#039;s companion mail client, Pegasus Mail, supports the idea of Public Folders - folders that can be accessed by more than one user at a time. Mercury can deliver mail directly into Pegasus Mail&#039;s public folders in the proper format, ready to read. To allow Mercury to do this, you need to create an alias for each public folder to which delivery is to be enabled. The alias type for public folders is PUBLIC:, followed by the full path to the directory. So, if you have a public folder in P:\PUBLIC\MAIL1, and want any message sent to &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:public1@example.com&quot;&gt;public1@example.com&lt;/A&gt; to be delivered automatically into that folder, you would create this alias:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:public1@example.com&quot;&gt;public1@example.com&lt;/A&gt; = PUBLIC:p:\public\mail1&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

txs for your reply....

so this way is only a fine option if i'm sure this mailboxes only will be used by 1 person at the time. (and i'm not sure of this...)
I'm also not using (and have no intentions to do this) Mercury... so the v4.5 is also not a option.

is this possible :
I create a new shared folder something like Public\mailfolder\shared for user1,User2,...User5
I activate the multipop for user1, user2...user 5 extention and set "Pace mail in  : Public\mailfolder\shared"

is this possible ?

&lt;p&gt;txs for your reply....&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;so this way is only a fine option if i&#039;m sure this mailboxes only will be used by 1 person at the time. (and i&#039;m not sure of this...) I&#039;m also not using (and have no intentions to do this) Mercury... so the v4.5 is also not a option.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;is this possible : I create a new shared folder something like Public\mailfolder\shared for user1,User2,...User5 I activate the multipop for user1, user2...user 5 extention and set &quot;Pace mail in&amp;nbsp; : Public\mailfolder\shared&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;is this possible ? &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="tsar"]

txs for your reply....

so this way is only a fine option if i'm sure this mailboxes only will be used by 1 person at the time. (and i'm not sure of this...)
I'm also not using (and have no intentions to do this) Mercury... so the v4.5 is also not a option.

is this possible :
I create a new shared folder something like Public\mailfolder\shared for user1,User2,...User5
I activate the multipop for user1, user2...user 5 extention and set "Pace mail in  : Public\mailfolder\shared"

is this possible ?

[/quote]

seems this will not work like it should  :-(

how should i solve this out:

we are receiving a lot of mail addressed to ourl contact@mydomain.com. It's important for us that we make asap a reply on every recieved mail.  (a autorespond message is not a option).

Most of the time UserA is collection this mail on his mailbox.
If userA is in a meeting (or his is not here, or he is talking a break, or....) UserB should do the follow up of this mail.

A public folder seems a good idea but pegasus can't drop new mail in a public folder, adding a user's mailbox is only possible if i'm sure that only 1 user at the time is using this box, so neither this is a  option...

other suggestions ? 

[quote user=&quot;tsar&quot;]&lt;p&gt;txs for your reply....&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;so this way is only a fine option if i&#039;m sure this mailboxes only will be used by 1 person at the time. (and i&#039;m not sure of this...) I&#039;m also not using (and have no intentions to do this) Mercury... so the v4.5 is also not a option.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;is this possible : I create a new shared folder something like Public\mailfolder\shared for user1,User2,...User5 I activate the multipop for user1, user2...user 5 extention and set &quot;Pace mail in&amp;nbsp; : Public\mailfolder\shared&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;is this possible ? [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;seems this will not work like it should&amp;nbsp; :-(&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;how should i solve this out:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;we are receiving a lot of mail addressed to ourl contact@mydomain.com. It&#039;s important for us that we make asap a reply on every recieved mail.&amp;nbsp; (a autorespond message is not a option). Most of the time UserA is collection this mail on his mailbox. If userA is in a meeting (or his is not here, or he is talking a break, or....) UserB should do the follow up of this mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A public folder seems a good idea but pegasus can&#039;t drop new mail in a public folder, adding a user&#039;s mailbox is only possible if i&#039;m sure that only 1 user at the time is using this box, so neither this is a&amp;nbsp; option...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;other suggestions ?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Though I wouldn't dare to argue simultanious mailbox access can (and as David told us -will-) lead to damaged folders, I'm using it for many years without any kind of problems, folder damage or data loss. Of course I could just be extermely lucky, but could it be if you only 'share' the New mail folder folder damage cannot occur, because the new mail folder isn't a real mail folder ?

&lt;P&gt;Though I wouldn&#039;t dare to argue simultanious mailbox access can (and as David told us -will-) lead to damaged folders, I&#039;m using it for many years without any kind of problems, folder damage or data loss. Of course I could just be extermely lucky, but could it be if you only &#039;share&#039; the New mail folder folder damage cannot occur, because the new mail folder isn&#039;t a real mail folder ?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

could it be if you only 'share' the New mail folder folder damage cannot occur, because the new mail folder isn't a real mail folder ?

[/quote]

Yes, you can share the new mail folder with reasonable safety, but not any other folder in a user's mailbox.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;NetwareRulez&quot;]&lt;p&gt;could it be if you only &#039;share&#039; the New mail folder folder damage cannot occur, because the new mail folder isn&#039;t a real mail folder ?&lt;/p&gt; [/quote] Yes, you can share the new mail folder with reasonable safety, but not any other folder in a user&#039;s mailbox. Cheers! -- David --

euh... maybe a silly question...but...

and how can i share this new mail folder ? without all other folders in a user's mailbox

&lt;p&gt;euh... maybe a silly question...but... &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;and how can i share this new mail folder ? without all other folders in a user&#039;s mailbox &lt;/p&gt;

Correct. This is a user training issue.  Of course, if you don't have any other folders in that mailbox other than the inbox itself, then there's no issue.  ;-)

I don't understand why the original poster is not interested in using Mercury/32 to download the POP3 mail via Mercury/32's MercuryD module and have it placed into the public folder (once the next version ships, which supports delivering new mail to a public folder).

&lt;P&gt;Correct. This is a user training issue.&amp;nbsp; Of course, if you don&#039;t have any other folders in that mailbox other than the inbox itself, then there&#039;s no issue.&amp;nbsp; ;-)&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I don&#039;t understand why the original poster is not interested in using Mercury/32 to download the POP3 mail via Mercury/32&#039;s MercuryD module and have it placed into the public folder (once the next version ships, which supports delivering new mail to a public folder).&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft