Thank you very much! Installing Pegasus into the C:\Pmail folder did the

trick.

I am a bit obsessive about wanting to select the location of the programs

that I install; I have a system that lets me keep track of where I will locate

programs that I install. Up until this particular installation, I was always

able to put Pegasus into my system. But this time, I have to bow to the wisdom

of David Harris, I guess!

You probably know how relieved I am to see Pegasus in flight! [ip] [:D]

<p>Thank you very much! Installing Pegasus into the C:\Pmail folder did the trick.</p> <p>I am a bit obsessive about wanting to select the location of the programs that I install; I have a system that lets me keep track of where I will locate programs that I install. Up until this particular installation, I was always able to put Pegasus into my system. But this time, I have to bow to the wisdom of David Harris, I guess!</p> <p> You probably know how relieved I am to see Pegasus in flight! [ip] [:D]</p>

Hi,

I am about to build a new PC and would like to install Win XP Pro 64bit. Would Pegasus 4.41 work?

I have been working for 10 years now with PM and am so satisifed with it, I would install Win XP Pro 32 bit if PM is not compatible.

What known issues are there? 

<p>Hi,</p><p>I am about to build a new PC and would like to install Win XP Pro 64bit. Would Pegasus 4.41 work?</p><p>I have been working for 10 years now with PM and am so satisifed with it, I would install Win XP Pro 32 bit if PM is not compatible. </p><p>What known issues are there? </p>

I can't tell you for sure, but I *believe* it should work OK. As I understand it, 64-bit windows can detect from the .EXE header that an application is 32-bit and runs it in a special 32-bit layer - this happens automatically and no configuration is required. A note of caution, though - I haven't tried this myself, I'm only repeating what I have heard elsewhere.

If you have a moment, I'd be interested to know what advantages the 64-bit version of Windows offers you... I haven't really considered doing 64-bit builds of WinPMail, but if there's some compelling advantage in the 64-bit versions, I'm open to considering it. Care to share your reasons?

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>I can't tell you for sure, but I *believe* it should work OK. As I understand it, 64-bit windows can detect from the .EXE header that an application is 32-bit and runs it in a special 32-bit layer - this happens automatically and no configuration is required. A note of caution, though - I haven't tried this myself, I'm only repeating what I have heard elsewhere. If you have a moment, I'd be interested to know what advantages the 64-bit version of Windows offers you... I haven't really considered doing 64-bit builds of WinPMail, but if there's some compelling advantage in the 64-bit versions, I'm open to considering it. Care to share your reasons? Cheers! -- David --  </p>

I'm running Pegasus 4.41 on an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with Win XP Pro 64 bit.  So far I haven't had any problems.  Normally the 64 bit system loads the programs into either a 32 or 64 bit directory, but I forced PMail off into its own directory and as I have said, it has worked without any problems at all.  So far I'm pleased with the performance under the 64 bit system.

Hope this helps. 

<p>I'm running Pegasus 4.41 on an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with Win XP Pro 64 bit.  So far I haven't had any problems.  Normally the 64 bit system loads the programs into either a 32 or 64 bit directory, but I forced PMail off into its own directory and as I have said, it has worked without any problems at all.  So far I'm pleased with the performance under the 64 bit system. </p><p> </p><p>Hope this helps. </p>

David,

I have been warned by the support staff at my university that installing Win64 XP would not be supported, so I still have not decided if I would go all the way into installing it.

However, I am a researcher and have to use a couple of programs who have been optimized to run faster in a 64 bit environment. As this new machine I am about to obtain would be something new, I wanted to give Win 64XP a try.

Apart from the memory addressing enhancements, I understand that 64 bit *may* enable faster processing of some chores, but it seems that it distinctly brings added flexibility and ease of use when you have several programs working at the same time.

I use simultaneaously Pegasus, Firefox and either a word processor, or a Powerpoint or LaTeX or Mathematica at the same time, plus of course, msn Messenger and skype. Several of those programs access the Internet at one time or another if not continuously and the WinXP 32 bit environnment makes the whole work at a slightly lower pace.

I *hope* that using Win XP64 may solve at least part of this. At least it is the point of the experiment. I will let you know the result.

Thank you for your answer.

Regards

<p>David,</p><p>I have been warned by the support staff at my university that installing Win64 XP would not be supported, so I still have not decided if I would go all the way into installing it.</p><p>However, I am a researcher and have to use a couple of programs who have been optimized to run faster in a 64 bit environment. As this new machine I am about to obtain would be something new, I wanted to give Win 64XP a try.</p><p>Apart from the memory addressing enhancements, I understand that 64 bit *may* enable faster processing of some chores, but it seems that it distinctly brings added flexibility and ease of use when you have several programs working at the same time.</p><p>I use simultaneaously Pegasus, Firefox and either a word processor, or a Powerpoint or LaTeX or Mathematica at the same time, plus of course, msn Messenger and skype. Several of those programs access the Internet at one time or another if not continuously and the WinXP 32 bit environnment makes the whole work at a slightly lower pace.</p><p>I *hope* that using Win XP64 may solve at least part of this. At least it is the point of the experiment. I will let you know the result.</p><p>Thank you for your answer.</p><p>Regards</p><p> </p>

Same here, have been runing on 64x box for best part of 12 months without a hitch and have not come across any issues with the implementation in this environment.

Same here, have been runing on 64x box for best part of 12 months without a hitch and have not come across any issues with the implementation in this environment.

I have been using Pegasus mail (always latest release) on the Windows XP x64 version since january 2006 with no problems related to Pegasus.

I have had other problems related to ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard and Windows 2000 Server though. All of them solved through the lists :-)

I am also using  the Sysinternals\pstools\psexec to start it on just one processor and it works great provided the software is installed on a local drive. (Mail-directory can be located anywhere)

<p>I have been using Pegasus mail (always latest release) on the Windows XP x64 version since january 2006 with no problems related to Pegasus. </p><p>I have had other problems related to ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard and Windows 2000 Server though. All of them solved through the lists :-)   I am also using  the Sysinternals\pstools\psexec to start it on just one processor and it works great provided the software is installed on a local drive. (Mail-directory can be located anywhere) </p><p> </p>

Hi,

Just joined the Pegasus forum, and have been using Pegasus since December of 1997, and have always kept up with the new versions as they came out. 

I've been using Pegasus on a Windows XP Pro 64bit machine for a couple of years.

I'm presently using version 4.41.

The only issue I have with it during this whole time, is it will frequently (a few times a week out of 24/7 usage) go into a state where it appears from first glance to be working, but upon closer inspection, isn't retrieving any email, and is doing something that's taking about 99% of the processor.

To get out of this state, I have to close the program, then open Windows Task Manager/Processes and manually stop process "winpm-32.exe *32", which is still running and using upwards of 99% of the processor, even though I've closed the program. (when the program is closed when running normally, the "winpm-32.exe *32" process disappears )

I will often notice this when I observe that my screensaver (just the Windows stock "starfield") has stopped, and to get my screen back, it takes awhile to respond to my mouse or keyboard.

Has anybody else ever seen anything like this this?                 Thanks,  Ed

<p>Hi,</p><p>Just joined the Pegasus forum, and have been using Pegasus since December of 1997, and have always kept up with the new versions as they came out. </p><p> I've been using Pegasus on a Windows XP Pro 64bit machine for a couple of years.</p><p>I'm presently using version 4.41.</p><p>The only issue I have with it during this whole time, is it will frequently (a few times a week out of 24/7 usage) go into a state where it appears from first glance to be working, but upon closer inspection, isn't retrieving any email, and is doing something that's taking about 99% of the processor.</p><p>To get out of this state, I have to close the program, then open Windows Task Manager/Processes and manually stop process "winpm-32.exe *32", which is still running and using upwards of 99% of the processor, even though I've closed the program. (when the program is closed when running normally, the "winpm-32.exe *32" process disappears )</p><p>I will often notice this when I observe that my screensaver (just the Windows stock "starfield") has stopped, and to get my screen back, it takes awhile to respond to my mouse or keyboard.</p><p>  Has anybody else ever seen anything like this this?                 Thanks,  Ed  </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Hi Ed,

I have been using Pegasus since 1997 also but NEVER had it at any time taking 99% of the CPU. Could it be that in your case PM is trying to access the Internet and somehow having difficulty doing it? That may cause PM to freeze (it does for me, though not hogging CPU time with it).

Regards 

<p>Hi Ed,</p><p>I have been using Pegasus since 1997 also but NEVER had it at any time taking 99% of the CPU. Could it be that in your case PM is trying to access the Internet and somehow having difficulty doing it? That may cause PM to freeze (it does for me, though not hogging CPU time with it).</p><p>Regards </p><p> </p>

Hello!

[quote user="mrshyvley"]

I've been using Pegasus on a Windows XP Pro 64bit machine for a couple of years.

The only issue I have with it during this whole time, is it will frequently (a few times a week out of 24/7 usage) go into a state where it appears from first glance to be working, but upon closer inspection, isn't retrieving any email, and is doing something that's taking about 99% of the processor.

To get out of this state, I have to close the program, then open Windows Task Manager/Processes and manually stop process "winpm-32.exe *32", which is still running and using upwards of 99% of the processor, even though I've closed the program. (when the program is closed when running normally, the "winpm-32.exe *32" process disappears )

Has anybody else ever seen anything like this this?

[/quote]

Well, all I can say is that Pegasus Mail might be filtering incoming messages and be looking as if it was unable to respond while filtering.
Applying Spamhalter, content control and New Mail filtering rules can take some time, especially if their rules are extensive and the messages to be filtered are large. I notice that Pegasus Mail does respond again after all filtering tools have been applied to the incoming messages.

Hello! [quote user="mrshyvley"]<P>I've been using Pegasus on a Windows XP Pro 64bit machine for a couple of years.</P><P>I'm presently using version 4.41.</P><P>The only issue I have with it during this whole time, is it will frequently (a few times a week out of 24/7 usage) go into a state where it appears from first glance to be working, but upon closer inspection, isn't retrieving any email, and is doing something that's taking about 99% of the processor.</P><P>To get out of this state, I have to close the program, then open Windows Task Manager/Processes and manually stop process "winpm-32.exe *32", which is still running and using upwards of 99% of the processor, even though I've closed the program. (when the program is closed when running normally, the "winpm-32.exe *32" process disappears )</P><P>Has anybody else ever seen anything like this this?</P>[/quote] Well, all I can say is that Pegasus Mail might be filtering incoming messages and be looking as if it was unable to respond while filtering. Applying Spamhalter, content control and New Mail filtering rules can take some time, especially if their rules are extensive and the messages to be filtered are large. I notice that Pegasus Mail does respond again after all filtering tools have been applied to the incoming messages.

[quote user="mrshyvley"]

Hi,

Just joined the Pegasus forum, and have been using Pegasus since December of 1997, and have always kept up with the new versions as they came out. 

I will often notice this when I observe that my screensaver (just the Windows stock "starfield") has stopped, and to get my screen back, it takes awhile to respond to my mouse or keyboard.

Has anybody else ever seen anything like this this?                 Thanks,  Ed 

[/quote]

I'd checkout the processor affinity on the winpm-32.exe process.  I'd try setting the affinity WinPMail to only one of the CPUs and see what happens.  FWIW, I'm using two 64 bit systems, one a Dell and the other a HP and I've not seen anything like this.

[quote user="mrshyvley"]<p>Hi,</p><p>Just joined the Pegasus forum, and have been using Pegasus since December of 1997, and have always kept up with the new versions as they came out. </p><p> I've been using Pegasus on a Windows XP Pro 64bit machine for a couple of years.</p><p>I'm presently using version 4.41.</p><p>The only issue I have with it during this whole time, is it will frequently (a few times a week out of 24/7 usage) go into a state where it appears from first glance to be working, but upon closer inspection, isn't retrieving any email, and is doing something that's taking about 99% of the processor.</p><p>To get out of this state, I have to close the program, then open Windows Task Manager/Processes and manually stop process "winpm-32.exe *32", which is still running and using upwards of 99% of the processor, even though I've closed the program. (when the program is closed when running normally, the "winpm-32.exe *32" process disappears )</p><p>I will often notice this when I observe that my screensaver (just the Windows stock "starfield") has stopped, and to get my screen back, it takes awhile to respond to my mouse or keyboard.</p><p>  Has anybody else ever seen anything like this this?                 Thanks,  Ed </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I'd checkout the processor affinity on the winpm-32.exe process.  I'd try setting the affinity WinPMail to only one of the CPUs and see what happens.  FWIW, I'm using two 64 bit systems, one a Dell and the other a HP and I've not seen anything like this.</p><p> </p>

Hello Pegasorum:

I reached this post by via a search of the posts "Win 7 64 bit.

I am running Sin (Oops! I mean Win) 7 74 bit SP1, on an Intel i7-2600 CPU I am using this OS because of other software that I have to use for work, that is moving into this environment. Not my choice, particularly, but there you are.

I installed Pegasus (ver 463)  on this machine, several times, in fact, because I thought that I was doing something wrong. There are 2 Program Files directories on Win 7: one for native 64 bit programs, and one called Program Files (x86) for 34-bit programs. I did not install it in the default c:\Pmail folder, but put it in the x86 Program Files folder.   Unfortunately, each time that I call Pegasus up,(in the Start Menu, Pegasus Mail as Admin) it flickers on then disappears 

Eventually, instead of setting it up as I have done in the past to let me tell Pegasus where to find the data folder, with all the settings, etc., I  let the installer automatically configure a user, as admin.

No matter which way I set it up, it flashes on then disappears.

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem, or would have any suggestions which would help Pegasus to run in this environment..

Thanks!

<p>Hello Pegasorum:</p><p>I reached this post by via a search of the posts "Win 7 64 bit.</p><p>I am running Sin (Oops! I mean Win) 7 74 bit SP1, on an Intel i7-2600 CPU I am using this OS because of other software that I have to use for work, that is moving into this environment. Not my choice, particularly, but there you are.</p><p> I installed Pegasus (ver 463)  on this machine, several times, in fact, because I thought that I was doing something wrong. There are 2 Program Files directories on Win 7: one for native 64 bit programs, and one called Program Files (x86) for 34-bit programs. I did not install it in the default c:\Pmail folder, but put it in the x86 Program Files folder.   Unfortunately, each time that I call Pegasus up,(in the Start Menu, Pegasus Mail as Admin) it flickers on then disappears  </p><p>Eventually, instead of setting it up as I have done in the past to let me tell Pegasus where to find the data folder, with all the settings, etc., I  let the installer automatically configure a user, as admin.</p><p>No matter which way I set it up, it flashes on then disappears. </p><p>I am wondering if anyone else has this problem, or would have any suggestions which would help Pegasus to run in this environment..</p><p>Thanks!</p><p> </p>

[quote user="DrPeter"] I installed Pegasus (ver 463)  on this machine, several times, in fact, because I thought that I was doing something wrong. There are 2 Program Files directories on Win 7: one for native 64 bit programs, and one called Program Files (x86) for 34-bit programs. I did not install it in the default c:\Pmail folder, but put it in the x86 Program Files folder.[/quote]

Don't do it, see here for details.

<p>[quote user="DrPeter"] I installed Pegasus (ver 463)  on this machine, several times, in fact, because I thought that I was doing something wrong. There are 2 Program Files directories on Win 7: one for native 64 bit programs, and one called Program Files (x86) for 34-bit programs. I did not install it in the default c:\Pmail folder, but put it in the x86 Program Files folder.[/quote]</p><p>Don't do it, see <a href="/forums/post/25552.aspx" mce_href="/forums/post/25552.aspx" target="_blank">here</a> for details.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft