Community Discussions and Support
Lost contents of new mail folder

Thanks, David and Barius. You finally got through to me. My ini and cfg files had gotten 'addled'. Everything worked fine when I fixed them. I still don't understand how Pegasus found any message files at all before I fixed these things. Some things, I guess, are just not worth pursuing...

Thanks, David and Barius. You finally got through to me. My ini and cfg files had gotten 'addled'. Everything worked fine when I fixed them. I still don't understand how Pegasus found any message files at all before I fixed these things. Some things, I guess, are just not worth pursuing...

When I moved to a new computer, the contents of the New Mail folder were lost. I now recall encountering this problem in a previous move, and solved it then by saving the contents of New Mail to another folder on the old system prior to the move. I would do this now if the old system were functional. But is there another way to recover the lost mail messages?

V. 4.41, winXP SP2.
When I moved to a new computer, the contents of the New Mail folder were lost. I now recall encountering this problem in a previous move, and solved it then by saving the contents of New Mail to another folder on the old system prior to the move. I would do this now if the old system were functional. But is there another way to recover the lost mail messages?<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>V. 4.41, winXP SP2.</DIV>

What do mean they are lost?  Are the .CNM files actually deleted from the filesystem or is Pegasus simply not finding them?

If the files are being deleted from the filesystem then it's unlikely Pegasus is at fault.  You should check that you are copying all the necessary files/folders from Windows.

If the files are being copied correctly, then you simply have Pegasus misconfigured.  You need to edit the pmail.ini file to point to the correct new mail folder location.  Unfortunately, the graphical tool in Pegasus doesn't work (Tools->Mailbox Location).  I remember being told once before on the mailing list that this option is slated to be removed entirely, though I was never given any explanation as to why it was broken and never fixed.

<p>What do mean they are lost?  Are the .CNM files actually deleted from the filesystem or is Pegasus simply not finding them?</p><p>If the files are being deleted from the filesystem then it's unlikely Pegasus is at fault.  You should check that you are copying all the necessary files/folders from Windows. </p><p>If the files are being copied correctly, then you simply have Pegasus misconfigured.  You need to edit the pmail.ini file to point to the correct new mail folder location.  Unfortunately, the graphical tool in Pegasus doesn't work (Tools->Mailbox Location).  I remember being told once before on the mailing list that this option is slated to be removed entirely, though I was never given any explanation as to why it was broken and never fixed.  </p>

Pegasus happily finds all files, folders and messages except for the 45 messages that were in the New Mail folder. That indicates the configuration is OK, I think. There is no problem finding my Mailbox and everything else relating to it. The New Mail folder is different from the others, apparently. No folder information for it is available in the program, and I don't know where the messages it contained might be stored. This is a repeatable problem, in my experience.

Pegasus happily finds all files, folders and messages except for the 45 messages that were in the New Mail folder. That indicates the configuration is OK, I think. There is no problem finding my Mailbox and everything else relating to it. The New Mail folder is different from the others, apparently. No folder information for it is available in the program, and I don't know where the messages it contained might be stored. This is a repeatable problem, in my experience.

My guess is that you are simply not copying the files.

The location of the new mail folder is defined in the pmail.ini file, which itself is usually found in the new mail folder.  If you don't know where this file is I suggest using a Windows search starting at your root C drive.  Your new mail files should all end with the extension '.CNM' so you can try searching for these as well.

<p>My guess is that you are simply not copying the files. </p><p>The location of the new mail folder is defined in the pmail.ini file, which itself is usually found in the new mail folder.  If you don't know where this file is I suggest using a Windows search starting at your root C drive.  Your new mail files should all end with the extension '.CNM' so you can try searching for these as well.  </p>

Barius,

Can you tell me the name of the file(s) that would contain the messages in the New Mail Folder? With that, I can find it if it exists.
Barius,<DIV>Can you tell me the name of the file(s) that would contain the messages in the New Mail Folder? With that, I can find it if it exists.</DIV>

[quote user="ralphbrau"]Barius,

Can you tell me the name of the file(s) that would contain the messages in the New Mail Folder?
[/quote]

He did! The files have a random name part and the extension ".CNM". Each one of these files is a single new mail message.

-- David --

[quote user="ralphbrau"]Barius,<div>Can you tell me the name of the file(s) that would contain the messages in the New Mail Folder?</div>[/quote] He did! The files have a random name part and the extension ".CNM". Each one of these files is a single new mail message. -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft