Community Discussions and Support
Cannot access emails after Pegasus Mail reinstall due to the Norton AntiVirus problem.

If you want to be sure that all your settings etc are backed up, and you have the space on your backup device, I recomend that you backup the Pegasus Mail install folder and all sub-folders (normally c:\pmail).  If you dont have the space, you should backup all the files in the folder given to you by step 1 in David Harris's instructions above:

[quote user="David Harris"]

1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu

and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see 

an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down

somewhere.

[/quote]

Not 100% sure on the Symantec front (Nortons) but it seems that the latest def is working ok now.

<p>If you want to be sure that all your settings etc are backed up, and you have the space on your backup device, I recomend that you backup the Pegasus Mail install folder and all sub-folders (normally c:\pmail).  If you dont have the space, you should backup all the files in the folder given to you by step 1 in David Harris's instructions above:</p><p>[quote user="David Harris"]</p><p>1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere.</p><p>[/quote] </p><p>Not 100% sure on the Symantec front (Nortons) but it seems that the latest def is working ok now. </p>

I moved all the files from the "adminbak" folder (which seems to have my old stuff in it) to the "admin" folder (which seems to be the new install), but it didn't work. There must be other files (pm.ini perhaps) that have to be moved, but I'm not sure where they are or where they need to go.

Perhaps I should start a new thread here, since I've strayed from the Norton problem -- into this one! 

pbm

<P>I moved all the files from the "adminbak" folder (which seems to have my old stuff in it) to the "admin" folder (which seems to be the new install), but it didn't work. There must be other files (pm.ini perhaps) that have to be moved, but I'm not sure where they are or where they need to go.</P> <P> Perhaps I should start a new thread here, since I've strayed from the Norton problem -- into this one!  </P> <P> pbm</P>

How do you start a new thread?  I need to know how to recover from a bad install?

thanks

pbm 

<P>How do you start a new thread?  I need to know how to recover from a bad install?</P> <P>thanks</P> <P>pbm </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi pbm, I have split your posting off into a new thread for you.

Lex

<p>Hi pbm, I have split your posting off into a new thread for you.</p><p>Lex  </p>

[quote user="pbm"]

I moved all the files from the "adminbak" folder (which seems to have my old stuff in it) to the "admin" folder (which seems to be the new install), but it didn't work. There must be other files (pm.ini perhaps) that have to be moved, but I'm not sure where they are or where they need to go.

Perhaps I should start a new thread here, since I've strayed from the Norton problem -- into this one! 

pbm

[/quote]

Can you tell me what folders you have under your Pegasus Mail install folder?  To determine where your current Pegasus Mail install folder is, run Pegasus Mail and go to Help -> About Pegasus Mail... -> Info... and look at the "WINPMAIL.EXE directory:" line.

We need to determine if the new version of Pegasus Mail got installed over the old one or was installed in a different folder.

[quote user="pbm"]<p>I moved all the files from the "adminbak" folder (which seems to have my old stuff in it) to the "admin" folder (which seems to be the new install), but it didn't work. There must be other files (pm.ini perhaps) that have to be moved, but I'm not sure where they are or where they need to go.</p> <p> Perhaps I should start a new thread here, since I've strayed from the Norton problem -- into this one!  </p> <p> pbm</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Can you tell me what folders you have under your Pegasus Mail install folder?  To determine where your current Pegasus Mail install folder is, run Pegasus Mail and go to Help -> About Pegasus Mail... -> Info... and look at the "WINPMAIL.EXE directory:" line.</p><p>We need to determine if the new version of Pegasus Mail got installed over the old one or was installed in a different folder. </p>

Lex, thank you.... Yes, the WinPMail.exe file is in c:\Pmail\Programs, which already gives me a hint of what to do.... But the entire directory structure under the c:\pmail is  c:\pmail\defaults, c:\pmail\mail (with \admin \adminbak \RmtFiles under that), c:\pmail\Programs (with \defaults and \resource under that) and, finally c:\pmail\resource.

Does this help?

pbm

<P>Lex, thank you.... Yes, the WinPMail.exe file is in c:\Pmail\Programs, which already gives me a hint of what to do.... But the entire directory structure under the c:\pmail is  c:\pmail\defaults, c:\pmail\mail (with \admin \adminbak \RmtFiles under that), c:\pmail\Programs (with \defaults and \resource under that) and, finally c:\pmail\resource. </P> <P>Does this help?</P> <P>pbm</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Ok, what is missing when you run the new copy of Pegasus Mail?  Is it all of: settings (signatures, etc), addressbooks, & email folders. or is it just the email folders that are missing?

Does the c:\pmail\mail\adminbak contain files with the extension .CNM?  These are all the email files that are normally in your new mail folder.

Lex 

<p>Ok, what is missing when you run the new copy of Pegasus Mail?  Is it all of: settings (signatures, etc), addressbooks, & email folders. or is it just the email folders that are missing?</p><p>Does the c:\pmail\mail\adminbak contain files with the extension .CNM?  These are all the email files that are normally in your new mail folder.</p><p>Lex </p>

[quote user="Lex"]

Ok, what is missing when you run the new copy of Pegasus Mail?  Is it all of: settings (signatures, etc), addressbooks, & email folders. or is it just the email folders that are missing?

Does the c:\pmail\mail\adminbak contain files with the extension .CNM?  These are all the email files that are normally in your new mail folder.

Lex 

[/quote]

Yes, to the first question... All the setting, etc., are missing. As mentioned in an earlier post, I mistakenly hit "New Install" instead of "Update" when I was reinstalling. So it's as if I were starting over.

But I don't see any .CNM files in the \adminbak folder.  There's a whole mess of them in the \admin folder, however.

pbm

[quote user="Lex"] <P>Ok, what is missing when you run the new copy of Pegasus Mail?  Is it all of: settings (signatures, etc), addressbooks, & email folders. or is it just the email folders that are missing?</P> <P>Does the c:\pmail\mail\adminbak contain files with the extension .CNM?  These are all the email files that are normally in your new mail folder.</P> <P>Lex </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Yes, to the first question... All the setting, etc., are missing. As mentioned in an earlier post, I mistakenly hit "New Install" instead of "Update" when I was reinstalling. So it's as if I were starting over.</P> <P> But I don't see any .CNM files in the \adminbak folder.  There's a whole mess of them in the \admin folder, however.</P> <P>pbm</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hello.  Anyone there? 

--pbm 

<P>Hello.  Anyone there?  </P> <P>--pbm </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I just looked at the Norton thread, now closed, and see that others have had reinstall problems.  Could someone give a quick primer on what folders the important files (cache, hiearch, etc.) are supposed to be in.  I now have a new version of Pegasus installed, but don't know how to access my old folders (i.e. ALL MY MAIL, ALL MY SETTINGS, FILTERS, ETC.).  Usually these kinds of problems have relatively easy answers -- if you know what you're doing!

I'm trying to avoid having to figure out myself, which, if past experience is any guide, means a time-consume trial and error -- mostly error -- reconstructing this.

Help (again).

thanks,

pbm

<P>I just looked at the Norton thread, now closed, and see that others have had reinstall problems.  Could someone give a quick primer on what folders the important files (cache, hiearch, etc.) are supposed to be in.  I now have a new version of Pegasus installed, but don't know how to access my old folders (i.e. ALL MY MAIL, ALL MY SETTINGS, FILTERS, ETC.).  Usually these kinds of problems have relatively easy answers -- if you know what you're doing!</P> <P>I'm trying to avoid having to figure out myself, which, if past experience is any guide, means a time-consume trial and error -- mostly error -- reconstructing this.</P> <P>Help (again).</P> <P>thanks,</P> <P> pbm</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi, I'm not sure I should be sticking my nose in this far down the

thread, but when you run Pegasus and bring up the Help/About dialog box

and then click on the Info button, what are your paths for the

following?

Home mailbox location:

New mailbox location:

<p>Hi, I'm not sure I should be sticking my nose in this far down the thread, but when you run Pegasus and bring up the Help/About dialog box and then click on the Info button, what are your paths for the following?</p><p>Home mailbox location: New mailbox location:</p><p>  </p>

Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly:

1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere.

2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps.

3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located.

4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on.

That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space.

If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem.

Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly: 1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere. 2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps. 3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located. 4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on. That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space. If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem. Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

[quote user="ivorygate"]

Hi, I'm not sure I should be sticking my nose in this far down the thread, but when you run Pegasus and bring up the Help/About dialog box and then click on the Info button, what are your paths for the following?

Home mailbox location:
New mailbox location:

[/quote]

Please do butt in -- I been hanging here for a long time...  I found one of your messages on another thread, which may have enough info to carry me through....  The problem now is that the "New" mailbox location is the same as the "Home" mailbox location; c:\pmail\mail. I moved all my "folo..." files into c:\pmail\mail\admin, but it doesn't the new install doesn't read them. The "good" hieararch.pm is also in that folder.  There's a pmail.ini there and a pmailini.old, as well as a ton of tcp*.wpm files and what looks like my addresses.  (There's a newcache.pm there too, but I don't know what that does.)  Most of these, though, I moved in here when the new install created a new "admin" folder and put all the "old" stuff in an \adminbak folder. 

Does this help?

pbm 

[quote user="ivorygate"] <P>Hi, I'm not sure I should be sticking my nose in this far down the thread, but when you run Pegasus and bring up the Help/About dialog box and then click on the Info button, what are your paths for the following?</P> <P>Home mailbox location: New mailbox location:</P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Please do butt in -- I been hanging here for a long time...  I found one of your messages on another thread, which may have enough info to carry me through....  The problem now is that the "New" mailbox location is the same as the "Home" mailbox location; c:\pmail\mail. I moved all my "folo..." files into c:\pmail\mail\admin, but it doesn't the new install doesn't read them. The "good" hieararch.pm is also in that folder.  There's a pmail.ini there and a pmailini.old, as well as a ton of tcp*.wpm files and what looks like my addresses.  (There's a newcache.pm there too, but I don't know what that does.)  Most of these, though, I moved in here when the new install created a new "admin" folder and put all the "old" stuff in an \adminbak folder.  </P> <P>Does this help?</P> <P>pbm </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly:

1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere.

2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps.

3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located.

4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on.

That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space.

If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem.

Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated.

Cheers!

-- David --

[/quote]

David, a million thanks.  Betwee you and Ivorygate, I might finally be able to sort this out.... I'll report back.

cheers,

peter

[quote user="David Harris"] <P>Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly: 1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere. 2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps. 3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located. 4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on. That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space. If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem. Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated. Cheers! -- David -- </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>David, a million thanks.  Betwee you and Ivorygate, I might finally be able to sort this out.... I'll report back.</P> <P>cheers,</P> <P>peter</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Followed your advice and it worked for me. Two follow-up questions: what files should I back up to make sure I have copies of my address books and has the problem with Norton been resolved?

Art Layton, Stamford, CT

<P>Followed your advice and it worked for me. Two follow-up questions: what files should I back up to make sure I have copies of my address books and has the problem with Norton been resolved?</P> <P> Art Layton, Stamford, CT</P>

Cheers!

-- David --

[/quote]

I had to follow your suggestion to modify the pmail.ini file, but otherwise it worked. Everything transferred, that is, but the ISP/Internet settings.  Are they in a special file?

Also, will there ever be a time when the hierarch.pm file can keep the folder structure intact?  That would save some reconstruction time....

In any case, David, thanks so much.  And I love the new community.pmail site.  It surely proved its value during this Norton episode.

cheers,

peter m 

[quote user="David Harris"] <P>Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly: 1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere. 2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps. 3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located. 4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on. That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space. If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem. Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated. Cheers! -- David -- </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>I had to follow your suggestion to modify the pmail.ini file, but otherwise it worked. Everything transferred, that is, but the ISP/Internet settings.  Are they in a special file? </P> <P>Also, will there ever be a time when the hierarch.pm file can keep the folder structure intact?  That would save some reconstruction time.... </P> <P>In any case, David, thanks so much.  And I love the new community.pmail site.  It surely proved its value during this Norton episode.</P> <P>cheers,</P> <P>peter m </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft