Community Discussions and Support
Using Mercury to control LogMeIn.

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

Out of curiosity: Why do you detest RDP?

[/quote]

I have found it very slow, and lacking in configuration options.

By contrast ultraVNC is very easy to adjust the encoding & compression among many other options like screen scaling, colour depth etc so it can be tuned to be very fast over most connections (I have used over dial up quite successfully). It also includes a remote file transfer facility & is dead easy to put through an SSH tunnel.

The "single-click" executable version (~160k one .exe no installation, I have it on my webserver for people to click on [:D]) is runnable by 'support clients' to call back to me, bypassing firewall configuration issues if I had to try and connect to a server running on their machine.

I used it to fix an email issue on a client's laptop on a public wireless link in North Carolina from my lounge room in New Zealand :)

Over an enterprise, or Local LAN, RDP may be perfectly adequate, but it doesn't fit my needs.

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]<p>Out of curiosity: Why do you detest RDP?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I have found it very slow, and lacking in configuration options.</p><p>By contrast ultraVNC is very easy to adjust the encoding & compression among many other options like screen scaling, colour depth etc so it can be tuned to be very fast over most connections (I have used over dial up quite successfully). It also includes a remote file transfer facility & is dead easy to put through an SSH tunnel.</p><p>The "single-click" executable version (~160k one .exe no installation, I have it on my webserver for people to click on [:D]) is runnable by 'support clients' to call back to me, bypassing firewall configuration issues if I had to try and connect to a server running on their machine.</p><p>I used it to fix an email issue on a client's laptop on a public wireless link in North Carolina from my lounge room in New Zealand :) </p><p>Over an enterprise, or Local LAN, RDP may be perfectly adequate, but it doesn't fit my needs. </p>

Sometimes I need to access my home PC, but don't want to leave logmein running.
So I've configured Mercury32 to start and stop it for me.

I've configured a filtering rules as below:

# TEST Remote Access
If header "T" is "remote@domain.net" LogicalAnd ""
If header "S" contains "Enable" Run "C:\\logmein\\enable.bat"
If header "S" contains "Disable" Run "C:\\logmein\\disable.bat"
If header "T" is "remote@domain.net" Exit "" 

Enable.bat contains:
net start logmein 

Diasble.bat contains:
net stop logmein 

Seems to work well.. thought it might be of use to others,

PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING SUPPORT :)

<P>Sometimes I need to access my home PC, but don't want to leave logmein running. So I've configured Mercury32 to start and stop it for me.</P> <P>I've configured a filtering rules as below:</P> <P># TEST Remote Access If header "T" is "<A href="mailto:remote@domain.net">remote@domain.net</A>" LogicalAnd "" If header "S" contains "Enable" Run "C:\\logmein\\enable.bat" If header "S" contains "Disable" Run "C:\\logmein\\disable.bat" If header "T" is "<A href="mailto:remote@domain.net">remote@domain.net</A>" Exit "" </P> <P>Enable.bat contains: net start logmein </P> <P>Diasble.bat contains: net stop logmein </P> <P>Seems to work well.. thought it might be of use to others,</P> <P>PLEASE ADD IMAP FILTERING SUPPORT :)</P>

You're potentially getting security riscs with this approach. A daemon would be more secure, that could work like the reload users command.

But, why don't you use RDP?

<P>You're potentially getting security riscs with this approach. A daemon would be more secure, that could work like the reload users command.</P> <P>But, why don't you use RDP?</P>

[/quote]

Because RDP is horrible :)

UltraVNC is my remote control weapon of choice!

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]<p>But, why don't you use RDP?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Because RDP is horrible :)</p><p>UltraVNC is my remote control weapon of choice!</p><p> </p>

You're potentially getting security riscs with this approach. A daemon would be more secure, that could work like the reload users command.

[/quote]

I don't know how to write a daemon !!

I block RDP on my firewall.. LogMeIn bypasses the firewall with out issue.  Enable and Disabling it allows me to feel a bit more secure that it can only be access when I want.
The actual email address I use and the subject line are a lot more secure than those posted in my example.

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]<p>You're potentially getting security riscs with this approach. A daemon would be more secure, that could work like the reload users command.</p> <p>But, why don't you use RDP?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I don't know how to write a daemon !! I block RDP on my firewall.. LogMeIn bypasses the firewall with out issue.  Enable and Disabling it allows me to feel a bit more secure that it can only be access when I want. The actual email address I use and the subject line are a lot more secure than those posted in my example.  </p>

[quote user="dilberts_left_nut"][quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

But, why don't you use RDP?[/quote]

Because RDP is horrible :)

UltraVNC is my remote control weapon of choice![/quote]

Out of curiosity: Why do you detest RDP?

[quote user="dilberts_left_nut"][quote user="Peter Strömblad"] <P>But, why don't you use RDP?[/quote]</P> <P>Because RDP is horrible :)</P> <P>UltraVNC is my remote control weapon of choice![/quote]</P> <P>Out of curiosity: Why do you detest RDP?</P>

I don't like the idea of having my PC open to anyone viewing it.

With RPD I need to open the firewall and then the security is on the username and password.  Just does feel very secure. 

<p>I don't like the idea of having my PC open to anyone viewing it.</p><p>With RPD I need to open the firewall and then the security is on the username and password.  Just does feel very secure. </p>

My "detest" question was more aimed at Dilberts comment.

RDP is safer and less bandwidth consuming than VNC - but yes you have to use strong passwords unless you use VPN. We host a number of servers broad open without VPN and haven't had any trouble since we started that (over three years ago). 

What I guess you can do, is run a script from Mercury that opens the Windows firewall just as you do with the LogMeIn service. - but, if you're happy with your solution then why change?

<P>My "detest" question was more aimed at Dilberts comment. </P> <P>RDP is safer and less bandwidth consuming than VNC - but yes you have to use strong passwords unless you use VPN. We host a number of servers broad open without VPN and haven't had any trouble since we started that (over three years ago). </P> <P>What I guess you can do, is run a script from Mercury that opens the Windows firewall just as you do with the LogMeIn service. - but, if you're happy with your solution then why change?</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft