Community Discussions and Support
Date is shown wrong and turning of "public folders"

Thomas, the unnecessarily strict parsing of date headers in Pegasus has been a point of contention for some time.  I do not know of any other email client that is so restrictive.

Why not just bite the bullet and  support having this changed?  Pegasus chokes on just about any minor inconsistency in this header, including the completely innocuous redundancy of containing both the time offset xxxx code and the 3-character timezone identifier (GMT), for example.  The absence of a leading "+" sign should also not corrupt the parsing -- the logical contents of the header are not changed by these "imperfection" in adhering to the strict standard.

Yes, email engines do not always encode Date headers precisely according to the "rules", but an email client should be able to deal constructively with these where the content is non-contradictory.

<p>Thomas, the unnecessarily strict parsing of date headers in Pegasus has been a point of contention for some time.  I do not know of any other email client that is so restrictive.</p><p>Why not just bite the bullet and  support having this changed?  Pegasus chokes on just about any minor inconsistency in this header, including the completely innocuous redundancy of containing both the time offset xxxx code and the 3-character timezone identifier (GMT), for example.  The absence of a leading "+" sign should also not corrupt the parsing -- the logical contents of the header are not changed by these "imperfection" in adhering to the strict standard.</p><p>Yes, email engines do not always encode Date headers precisely according to the "rules", but an email client should be able to deal constructively with these where the content is non-contradictory.</p>

Hello again,

i've got two new problems.

1. For some reason sometimes the date of a email is shown wrong. For example, i've got a mail which is from 23. okt. 2008. But in my inbox the mail is shown from 23. okt 2000, which is quite anoying because this mail is always at the bottem. When I opened the mail the date is shown correctly. Any idea?

2. We're using pmail in a smal LAN with multiple users. The folders from one user are shown in every other userprofile. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I'd like to turn this off. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

bb

<p>Hello again,</p><p>i've got two new problems.</p><p>1. For some reason sometimes the date of a email is shown wrong. For example, i've got a mail which is from 23. okt. 2008. But in my inbox the mail is shown from 23. okt 2000, which is quite anoying because this mail is always at the bottem. When I opened the mail the date is shown correctly. Any idea?</p><p>2. We're using pmail in a smal LAN with multiple users. The folders from one user are shown in every other userprofile. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I'd like to turn this off. Does anyone know how to do this?</p><p> Thanks in advance,</p><p>regards,</p><p>bb </p>

1. For some reason sometimes the date of a email is shown wrong. For

example, i've got a mail which is from 23. okt. 2008. But in my inbox

the mail is shown from 23. okt 2000, which is quite anoying because

this mail is always at the bottem. When I opened the mail the date is

shown correctly. Any idea?

Show us the Date: line.  I suspect it's an invalid Date line.  The format is very specific.  Here's what a valid date: line looks like.

Date:    24 Oct 2008 18:55:18 +0200

2. We're using pmail in a small LAN with multiple users. The folders

from one user are shown in every other userprofile. I don't know if

this is a bug or a feature, but I'd like to turn this off. Does anyone

know how to do this?

You need to use the OS security to make the other users email accounts non-readable.   Even with WinXP you can setup a multi-user Pegasus Mail to only have the ability to read their own mailboxes.  They'll be able to see the other users directories but cannot read the mail in them.

<blockquote>1. For some reason sometimes the date of a email is shown wrong. For example, i've got a mail which is from 23. okt. 2008. But in my inbox the mail is shown from 23. okt 2000, which is quite anoying because this mail is always at the bottem. When I opened the mail the date is shown correctly. Any idea?</blockquote><p>Show us the Date: line.  I suspect it's an invalid Date line.  The format is very specific.  Here's what a valid date: line looks like.</p><p>Date:    24 Oct 2008 18:55:18 +0200</p><blockquote><p>2. We're using pmail in a small LAN with multiple users. The folders from one user are shown in every other userprofile. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I'd like to turn this off. Does anyone know how to do this? </p></blockquote><p>You need to use the OS security to make the other users email accounts non-readable.   Even with WinXP you can setup a multi-user Pegasus Mail to only have the ability to read their own mailboxes.  They'll be able to see the other users directories but cannot read the mail in them. </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

Show us the Date: line. I suspect it's an invalid Date line. The format is very specific. Here's what a valid date: line looks like.

Date: 24 Oct 2008 18:55:18 +0200

[/quote]

You're right. My line looks like:

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:25:29 0200

So the plus is missing. But how can I fix, avoid this?

2. I think I didn't express right. It's a wished feature that everybody can open everybodys inbox. Here is an image which hopefully illustrate what's my problem is:

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmaillp1.jpg

bb

<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] Show us the Date: line. I suspect it's an invalid Date line. The format is very specific. Here's what a valid date: line looks like. Date: 24 Oct 2008 18:55:18 +0200 [/quote] </p><p>You're right. My line looks like: </p><p>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:25:29 0200 </p><p>So the plus is missing. But how can I fix, avoid this? </p><p>  2. I think I didn't express right. It's a wished feature that everybody can open everybodys inbox. Here is an image which hopefully illustrate what's my problem is: </p><p>http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmaillp1.jpg </p><p>bb </p>

You're right. My line looks like:

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:25:29 0200

So the plus is missing. But how can I fix, avoid this?

Talk to the prople sending the mail and get them to fix it.  

I think I didn't express right. It's a wished feature that everybody

can open everybodys inbox. Here is an image which hopefully illustrate

what's my problem is:

They could not if the other users mail directory was not given the read/write property to everyone.  You need to change the rights on the mailboxes so that only the system admin and the user has the read rights to the mail directory.

<blockquote><p>You're right. My line looks like: </p><p>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:25:29 0200 </p><p>So the plus is missing. But how can I fix, avoid this? </p></blockquote><p>Talk to the prople sending the mail and get them to fix it.   </p><blockquote>I think I didn't express right. It's a wished feature that everybody can open everybodys inbox. Here is an image which hopefully illustrate what's my problem is: </blockquote><p>They could not if the other users mail directory was not given the read/write property to everyone.  You need to change the rights on the mailboxes so that only the system admin and the user has the read rights to the mail directory. </p><blockquote><p> </p></blockquote>

Ok I think I've figured out the problem. In the files: "HIERARCH.PM", "FOLSTATE.PM" and "MAILBOX.PM" are "links" to the other user mailbox.

The links look like:

MAILBOX.PM: "Neue Nachrichten (Inbox)" = "<path to mailbox><path to="" mailbox="">" : 4 </path>

<path to="" mailbox="">FOLSTATE.PM: "60EA707:&lt;<path to="" mailbox="">path to mailbox&gt;" </path></path>

<path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox="">HIERARCH.PM: 0,0,"60EF1056:55FF:FOL01D2A","60EA707:<path to="" mailbox="">&lt;path to mailbox&gt;","Postausgang" </path></path></path>

<path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox="">Two new questions: </path></path></path>

<path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox="">1. Can I just delete this links or will pmail crash? </path></path></path>

<path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox="">2. Do I have to delete all this links for every user manually or is there any global setting? </path></path></path>

<path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox="">Thanks again, </path></path></path>

<path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox=""><path to="" mailbox="">bb</path></path></path>

edit: Ah ok, think I found it. It is right click onto the box and 'Disconnect the mailbox' or something like this...

&lt;p&gt;Ok I think I&#039;ve figured out the problem. In the files: &quot;HIERARCH.PM&quot;, &quot;FOLSTATE.PM&quot; and &quot;MAILBOX.PM&quot; are &quot;links&quot; to the other user mailbox. The links look like: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;MAILBOX.PM: &quot;Neue Nachrichten (Inbox)&quot; = &quot;&amp;lt;path to mailbox&amp;gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&quot; : 4 &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;FOLSTATE.PM: &quot;60EA707:&amp;lt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;path to mailbox&amp;gt;&quot; &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;HIERARCH.PM: 0,0,&quot;60EF1056:55FF:FOL01D2A&quot;,&quot;60EA707:&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;path to mailbox&amp;gt;&quot;,&quot;Postausgang&quot; &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;Two new questions: &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;1. Can I just delete this links or will pmail crash? &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;2. Do I have to delete all this links for every user manually or is there any global setting? &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;Thanks again, &lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;path to=&quot;&quot; mailbox=&quot;&quot;&gt;bb&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/path&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;edit: Ah ok, think I found it. It is right click onto the box and &#039;Disconnect the mailbox&#039; or something like this... &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft