Pegasus Mail Suggestions
A mac version would be fine ;-)

[quote user="msch"]

As a "early adopter" of pmail I know that many years ago there was a macintosh version of pmail (Version 2.2.1).

The mac becomes very popular and many windows users change to the mac. 

Is it planned to deveolp this fine peace of software for the mac?

[/quote]

I also use a Mac quite a lot, too - in fact, more than I use Windows.  My guess is that you're never going to see that.

I think you have to remember that back in those days David was one of the first people to put mail clients out there.  Now there are dozens of 'em for several platforms.  And, at the same time, people are drifting away from having local clients to using services like Gmail in their browser.  It's a crowded field now.

And, in addition, the programs have got more complicated and are offering more.  People now require HTML rendering/composition, IMAP (possibly including recent extensions such as user-defined IMAP keywords (see here:  http://deflexion.com/2006/05/server-side-message-labels  ) ), integration with calendaring applications, maybe RSS reading, and so it goes on ...

The bundled mailer on Mac OS X - Mail.app - which, despite some quirks, is actually pretty good, integrates with iCal.app (Apple's ical-aware calendar), Address Book.app, and iPhoto.  It also has "data detectors" to scoop information out of emails:

[quote]Mail automatically detects text fragments like appointments and

addresses, and lets you choose smart actions with a click: create a new

contact, map an address, or create an iCal event.[/quote]

You can also send an HTML page straight out of the bundled browser to it with a keyboard shortcut.  And it will also sync with a copy of Mobile Mail.app on an iPhone or iPod Touch via iTunes - important for anyone who has one of those devices in addition to a Mac.

How are third-parties to compete with that?   And yet some already are offering programs, which further narrows the field: Mac users could also run Entourage (from Microsoft), Thunderbird, Eudora, PowerMail, Gyazmail, Outspring Mail, Mulberry, GNUMail, Correo, Opera Mail, Mailsmith, Odysseus, and a number of others.  Or they could run any of the standard Unix Mailers under X11 - Evolution, KMail, Sylpheed Claws, etc.

I'd think anyone writing yet another email client for OS X would be taking on a lot of work for a small (even if growing) sector of the market that's already pretty crowded.  And how would they manage stuff like synching with the iPhone's mailer?

If you do want to run Pegasus when using a Mac, you could run the Windows version using virtualization software such as Parallels or Fusion to run Windows inside OS X.

[quote user="msch"]<p>As a "early adopter" of pmail I know that many years ago there was a macintosh version of pmail (Version 2.2.1).</p><p>The mac becomes very popular and many windows users change to the mac. </p><p>Is it planned to deveolp this fine peace of software for the mac? </p><p>[/quote] </p><p>I also use a Mac quite a lot, too - in fact, more than I use Windows.  My guess is that you're never going to see that.</p><p>I think you have to remember that back in those days David was one of the first people to put mail clients out there.  Now there are dozens of 'em for several platforms.  And, at the same time, people are drifting away from having local clients to using services like Gmail in their browser.  It's a crowded field now.</p><p> And, in addition, the programs have got more complicated and are offering more.  People now require HTML rendering/composition, IMAP (possibly including recent extensions such as user-defined IMAP keywords (see here:  http://deflexion.com/2006/05/server-side-message-labels  ) ), integration with calendaring applications, maybe RSS reading, and so it goes on ... </p><p>The bundled mailer on Mac OS X - Mail.app - which, despite some quirks, is actually pretty good, integrates with iCal.app (Apple's ical-aware calendar), Address Book.app, and iPhoto.  It also has "data detectors" to scoop information out of emails: </p><p>[quote]Mail automatically detects text fragments like appointments and addresses, and lets you choose smart actions with a click: create a new contact, map an address, or create an iCal event.[/quote]</p><p>You can also send an HTML page straight out of the bundled browser to it with a keyboard shortcut.  And it will also sync with a copy of Mobile Mail.app on an iPhone or iPod Touch <span style="font-style: italic;">via</span> iTunes - important for anyone who has one of those devices in addition to a Mac.</p><p>How are third-parties to compete with that?   And yet some already are offering programs, which further narrows the field: Mac users could also run Entourage (from Microsoft), Thunderbird, Eudora, PowerMail, Gyazmail, Outspring Mail, Mulberry, GNUMail, Correo, Opera Mail, Mailsmith, Odysseus, and a number of others.  Or they could run any of the standard Unix Mailers under X11 - Evolution, KMail, Sylpheed Claws, etc.</p><p>I'd think anyone writing yet another email client for OS X would be taking on a lot of work for a small (even if growing) sector of the market that's already pretty crowded.  And how would they manage stuff like synching with the iPhone's mailer?</p><p>If you do want to run Pegasus when using a Mac, you could run the Windows version using virtualization software such as Parallels or Fusion to run Windows inside OS X. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

As a "early adopter" of pmail I know that many years ago there was a macintosh version of pmail (Version 2.2.1).

The mac becomes very popular and many windows users change to the mac. 

Is it planned to deveolp this fine peace of software for the mac?

<p>As a "early adopter" of pmail I know that many years ago there was a macintosh version of pmail (Version 2.2.1).</p><p>The mac becomes very popular and many windows users change to the mac. </p><p>Is it planned to deveolp this fine peace of software for the mac?</p><p>  </p><p>  </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft