Community Discussions and Support
Norton AV locked

Just note that the scan engine and the client software isn't updated through a corporate signature feed. Only the signatures are fed this way. You need to enable clients to manually run liveupdate in order to get the product updates. This is also the same behavior since version 7.5 up to latest release.

<P>Just note that the scan engine and the client software isn't updated through a corporate signature feed. Only the signatures are fed this way. You need to enable clients to manually run liveupdate in order to get the product updates. This is also the same behavior since version 7.5 up to latest release.</P>

Just to drop a note. I am currently working on some systems in my office, and one will still not let me install the winpm-32.exe file. Unfortunately, my campus has the Enterprise Norton, and the live update option is locked out. So this one machine has the update of the 17th and will not even allow be to copy the program via ftp. Another machine in the same office has the definitions from the 15th and works fine, not sure why it has not downloaded the 17th version. I did find a work around before the situation was resolved with Norton, and send it to Mr. Harris. I found that if I used upx to compress the winpm-32.exe on another machine, Norton would allow it to download and run on the machine with no problem. Not sure why it would see the original file as having a virus, but a upx compressed file of the same exe it would not.

<p>Just to drop a note. I am currently working on some systems in my office, and one will still not let me install the winpm-32.exe file. Unfortunately, my campus has the Enterprise Norton, and the live update option is locked out. So this one machine has the update of the 17th and will not even allow be to copy the program via ftp. Another machine in the same office has the definitions from the 15th and works fine, not sure why it has not downloaded the 17th version. I did find a work around before the situation was resolved with Norton, and send it to Mr. Harris. I found that if I used upx to compress the winpm-32.exe on another machine, Norton would allow it to download and run on the machine with no problem. Not sure why it would see the original file as having a virus, but a upx compressed file of the same exe it would not. </p><p> </p>

mikes@guam.net

Normally in Norton / SAV corporate the install of SAV-client is controlled from a server. This one pushes the definitions at a pre-set interval. Default is one week if I remember correctly.

Normally in Norton / SAV corporate the install of SAV-client is controlled from a server. This one pushes the definitions at a pre-set interval. Default is one week if I remember correctly.

One way to update clients "manually", when running Symantec Corporate Edition, is to grab the latest .VDB file and copy it into this folder: "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5"

(Yes, the 7.5 path hasn't changed in years, despite the current version being 10.1 or 3.1 for SCS).
After a minute or two, it will detect a new def file showed up and install it.

To find the latest .VDB file, first look up the filename on this web page:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/md5-hash.txt

For example, as I type this, I find the newest file is (5/18/2007 rev. 19):
vdb/vd256413.vdb

Append that path and filename to this base URL, to download it:
http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/

<p>One way to update clients "manually", when running Symantec Corporate Edition, is to grab the latest .VDB file and copy it into this folder: "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5"</p><p>(Yes, the 7.5 path hasn't changed in years, despite the current version being 10.1 or 3.1 for SCS). After a minute or two, it will detect a new def file showed up and install it.</p><p>To find the latest .VDB file, first look up the filename on this web page: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/md5-hash.txt</p><p>For example, <i>as I type this</i>, I find the newest file is (5/18/2007 rev. 19): vdb/vd256413.vdb</p><p>Append that path and filename to this base URL, to download it: http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/</p><p>  </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft