Community Discussions and Support
Unable to read mail from old MAIL folder

[quote user="irelam"]

Did you run Pconfig.exe to check the locations for folders?

[/quote]

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

That trailing "\" can cause a crash since it points to nothing.  This should either be d:\pmail\mailor d:\pmail\mail\~8 depending on whether you are multi-user or single-user. 

Ok this looks like single-user and so the path should be d:\pmail\mail.

[/quote]

Thanks, this put me on the right track.

I deleted the paths in pconfig and retyped them. This fixed the crash. Maybe there was a hidden corrupt character.

I also had to get rid of the trailing slash, as you suggested, to get rid of some warnings at startup.

<p>[quote user="irelam"]</p><p>Did you run Pconfig.exe to check the locations for folders?</p>[/quote]<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]</p><p>That trailing "\" can cause a crash since it points to nothing.  This should either be d:\pmail\mailor d:\pmail\mail\~8 depending on whether you are multi-user or single-user.  </p><p>Ok this looks like single-user and so the path should be d:\pmail\mail.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Thanks, this put me on the right track.</p><p>I deleted the paths in pconfig and retyped them. This fixed the crash. Maybe there was a hidden corrupt character. </p><p>I also had to get rid of the trailing slash, as you suggested, to get rid of some warnings at startup.</p>

I used Pegasus Mail for many years, copying the account accross several PCs as I upgraded. On my previous PC the PMAIL folder was on my E drive.

I now have a new PC and have copied the PMAIL folder to D:\. I'm trying to access my old emails.

I've installed Pegasus Mail in D:\PMAIL , but it crashes at startup ("Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close....").

What can I try, to get access to my emails?

Further info:

I have d:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG and it points to d:\PMAIL\MAIL\, which seems right.

The programs used to be in D:\PMAIL,  that is now empty except for the Programs and MAIL folders.

I have a D:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.INI, I found a few entries in it that were still pointing to E:\PMAIL and modified them manually.

<p>I used Pegasus Mail for many years, copying the account accross several PCs as I upgraded. On my previous PC the PMAIL folder was on my E drive.</p><p>I now have a new PC and have copied the PMAIL folder to D:\. I'm trying to access my old emails.</p><p> I've installed Pegasus Mail in D:\PMAIL , but it crashes at startup ("Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close....").</p><p> What can I try, to get access to my emails?</p><p> Further info:</p><p>I have d:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG and it points to d:\PMAIL\MAIL\, which seems right.</p><p>The programs used to be in D:\PMAIL,  that is now empty except for the Programs and MAIL folders.</p><p>I have a D:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.INI, I found a few entries in it that were still pointing to E:\PMAIL and modified them manually. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Did you run Pconfig.exe to check the locations for folders?

Martin

<p>Did you run Pconfig.exe to check the locations for folders?</p><p>Martin </p>

> I used Pegasus Mail for many years, copying the account accross
> several PCs as I upgraded. On my previous PC the PMAIL folder was on
> my E drive.
>
> I now have a new PC and have copied the PMAIL folder to D:\. I'm
> trying to access my old emails.
>
>  I've installed Pegasus Mail in D:\PMAIL , but it crashes at startup
> ("Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to
> close....").
>
>  What can I try, to get access to my emails?
>
>  Further info:
>
> I have d:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG and it points to d:\PMAIL\MAIL\,
> which seems right.

That trailing "\" can cause a crash since it points to nothing.  This should either be d:\pmail\mailor d:\pmail\mail\~8 depending on whether you are multi-user or single-user. 

>
> The programs used to be in D:\PMAIL,  that is now empty except for
> the Programs and MAIL folders.
>
> I have a D:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.INI, I found a few entries in it that
> were still pointing to E:\PMAIL and modified them manually.

Ok this looks like single-user and so the path should be d:\pmail\mail.

<p>> I used Pegasus Mail for many years, copying the account accross > several PCs as I upgraded. On my previous PC the PMAIL folder was on > my E drive. > > I now have a new PC and have copied the PMAIL folder to D:\. I'm > trying to access my old emails. > >  I've installed Pegasus Mail in D:\PMAIL , but it crashes at startup > ("Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to > close...."). > >  What can I try, to get access to my emails? > >  Further info: > > I have d:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG and it points to d:\PMAIL\MAIL\, > which seems right. That trailing "\" can cause a crash since it points to nothing.  This should either be d:\pmail\mailor d:\pmail\mail\~8 depending on whether you are multi-user or single-user.  </p><p> > > The programs used to be in D:\PMAIL,  that is now empty except for > the Programs and MAIL folders. > > I have a D:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.INI, I found a few entries in it that > were still pointing to E:\PMAIL and modified them manually. Ok this looks like single-user and so the path should be d:\pmail\mail.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft