Community Discussions and Support
"Pegasus Mail (Not Responding)" and long freeze-ups

You are the BEST, Thomas!!!  That fixed it!

Whoopee, what a relief.  Go fix yourself a tasty eggnog, you earned it!  You can't imagine how frustrating it's been.

Merry Christmas, Pegasus Angel!

Paula

<p>You are the BEST, Thomas!!!  That fixed it! </p><p> Whoopee, what a relief.  Go fix yourself a tasty eggnog, you earned it!  You can't imagine how frustrating it's been.</p><p> Merry Christmas, Pegasus Angel!</p><p> Paula </p>

We are running Pegasus 4.41 on Windows XP Pro. About six months ago (mid-2008) we suddenly began to experience freeze-ups in Pegasus (no other programs) when receiving, sending, or checking email (either checking email every 300 seconds or when forced to check). The freeze-up usually lasts 30 to 33 seconds. If I continue clicking on any spot in the Pegasus display these things happen:

For the first seven seconds there is no reaction. Then a blank white bar appears in place of the toolbar with File, Edit, and so on, plus the cursor becomes an hourglass. Then (if I continue clicking within Pegasus) a "(Not Responding)" appears next to the words Pegasus Mail on the top banner. After 30 or so seconds the entire Pegasus window refreshes and the program is "live" again. That is, it's usable until I go to send an email, or it downloads one, or checks for new mail.

We have tried three antivirus programs thinking they were the cause, but without any change. There are no unusual processes rising to the top in CPU usage in the Windows Task Manager display during the freeze-ups. It's very difficult to get any work done now. We are wondering if a recent Windows Update might have caused the problem.

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving us nuts!

Paula

We are running Pegasus 4.41 on Windows XP Pro. About six months ago (mid-2008) we suddenly began to experience freeze-ups in Pegasus (no other programs) when receiving, sending, or checking email (either checking email every 300 seconds or when forced to check). The freeze-up usually lasts 30 to 33 seconds. If I continue clicking on any spot in the Pegasus display these things happen: For the first seven seconds there is no reaction. Then a blank white bar appears in place of the toolbar with File, Edit, and so on, plus the cursor becomes an hourglass. Then (if I continue clicking within Pegasus) a "(Not Responding)" appears next to the words Pegasus Mail on the top banner. After 30 or so seconds the entire Pegasus window refreshes and the program is "live" again. That is, it's usable until I go to send an email, or it downloads one, or checks for new mail. We have tried three antivirus programs thinking they were the cause, but without any change. There are no unusual processes rising to the top in CPU usage in the Windows Task Manager display during the freeze-ups. It's very difficult to get any work done now. We are wondering if a recent Windows Update might have caused the problem. Any help would be appreciated, it's driving us nuts! Paula

[quote user="Paula Gibeault"]

We are running Pegasus 4.41 on Windows XP Pro. About six months ago (mid-2008) we suddenly began to experience freeze-ups in Pegasus (no other programs) when receiving, sending, or checking email (either checking email every 300 seconds or when forced to check). The freeze-up usually lasts 30 to 33 seconds. If I continue clicking on any spot in the Pegasus display these things happen:

For the first seven seconds there is no reaction. Then a blank white bar appears in place of the toolbar with File, Edit, and so on, plus the cursor becomes an hourglass. Then (if I continue clicking within Pegasus) a "(Not Responding)" appears next to the words Pegasus Mail on the top banner. After 30 or so seconds the entire Pegasus window refreshes and the program is "live" again. That is, it's usable until I go to send an email, or it downloads one, or checks for new mail.

We have tried three antivirus programs thinking they were the cause, but without any change. There are no unusual processes rising to the top in CPU usage in the Windows Task Manager display during the freeze-ups. It's very difficult to get any work done now. We are wondering if a recent Windows Update might have caused the problem.

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving us nuts!

Paula

Not sure what to tell you here except that in 99% of the cases where there is a "freeze" like this the program is trying to connect to some asset that is missing.  Have you tried doing a session log when sending/receiving to determine is it's actually hanging on the send/receive process or on something else.

FWIW, how are you running WinPMail?  Networked where all users are using the same program and the data files are on the server?  other?  Netware?  A copy/paste of the Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info provides a lot of data. 

[/quote]

<p>[quote user="Paula Gibeault"]</p><blockquote><p>We are running Pegasus 4.41 on Windows XP Pro. About six months ago (mid-2008) we suddenly began to experience freeze-ups in Pegasus (no other programs) when receiving, sending, or checking email (either checking email every 300 seconds or when forced to check). The freeze-up usually lasts 30 to 33 seconds. If I continue clicking on any spot in the Pegasus display these things happen: For the first seven seconds there is no reaction. Then a blank white bar appears in place of the toolbar with File, Edit, and so on, plus the cursor becomes an hourglass. Then (if I continue clicking within Pegasus) a "(Not Responding)" appears next to the words Pegasus Mail on the top banner. After 30 or so seconds the entire Pegasus window refreshes and the program is "live" again. That is, it's usable until I go to send an email, or it downloads one, or checks for new mail. We have tried three antivirus programs thinking they were the cause, but without any change. There are no unusual processes rising to the top in CPU usage in the Windows Task Manager display during the freeze-ups. It's very difficult to get any work done now. We are wondering if a recent Windows Update might have caused the problem. Any help would be appreciated, it's driving us nuts! Paula</p></blockquote><p>Not sure what to tell you here except that in 99% of the cases where there is a "freeze" like this the program is trying to connect to some asset that is missing.  Have you tried doing a session log when sending/receiving to determine is it's actually hanging on the send/receive process or on something else.</p><p>FWIW, how are you running WinPMail?  Networked where all users are using the same program and the data files are on the server?  other?  Netware?  A copy/paste of the Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info provides a lot of data.  </p><p>[/quote]</p>

Thanks for helping!  Can you tell me how to do a session log?  I'm sure it's happening during the send-receive process since I can duplicate it so perfectly.

Here's my pasted info:

Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.13
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0
Windows version: 5.1
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\Program Files\PMAIL
Home mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL
New mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL
TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
  - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
Commandline:
Active -Z options: 32768
PMR variable: (None)
PML variable: (None)
MAI variable: (None)
NB variable: (None)

<p>Thanks for helping!  Can you tell me how to do a session log?  I'm sure it's happening during the send-receive process since I can duplicate it so perfectly.</p><p> Here's my pasted info:</p><p>Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 Windows version: 5.1 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\Program Files\PMAIL Home mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled   - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0   - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None)  </p>

> Thanks for helping!  Can you tell me how to do a session log?  I'm sure
> it's happening during the send-receive process since I can duplicate it
> so perfectly.

Go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"  

Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ]

You can now try again to send/receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.

>
>  Here's my pasted info:
>
> Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
> Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved
> Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.
>
> WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006
> Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
> Extension Manager version: 1.13
> Operating mode: Standalone
> User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0
> Windows version: 5.1
> Windows flag word: 0
> WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\Program Files\PMAIL
> Home mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL
> New mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL

Looks like a single-user standalone setup.  If this is so is there anything at all on your systems working that all users are running?  Something installed on all the systems having problems that is not out-of-the-box?  Firewall?

> TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp
> TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp
> LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
> NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
> Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
>   - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
>   - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
> Commandline:
> Active -Z options: 32768
> PMR variable: (None)
> PML variable: (None)
> MAI variable: (None)
> NB variable: (None)

> Thanks for helping!  Can you tell me how to do a session log?  I'm sure > it's happening during the send-receive process since I can duplicate it > so perfectly. Go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"   Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ] You can now try again to send/receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server. > >  Here's my pasted info: > > Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows > Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved > Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. > > WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 > Language resources: Standard UK English resource set > Extension Manager version: 1.13 > Operating mode: Standalone > User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 > Windows version: 5.1 > Windows flag word: 0 > WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\Program Files\PMAIL > Home mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL > New mailbox location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\PMAIL\MAIL Looks like a single-user standalone setup.  If this is so is there anything at all on your systems working that all users are running?  Something installed on all the systems having problems that is not out-of-the-box?  Firewall? > TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp > TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp > LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N > NetWare MHS support: N, N, N > Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled >   - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 >   - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL > Commandline: > Active -Z options: 32768 > PMR variable: (None) > PML variable: (None) > MAI variable: (None) > NB variable: (None)

You wrote:

You can now try again to send/receive the mail and then look at the

resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly

what is going on between WinPMail and the server.

OK, I created a session log for sending an email and one for checking email.  What am I looking for?  Should I delete my confidential info (username and password) and post the two logs to this forum?

You wrote:

I have Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus/antispyware, and the Windows firewall only.  Only this computer is currently being used for Pegasus.

Regards,  Paula

<p> You wrote: </p><p> You can now try again to send/receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.</p><p> OK, I created a session log for sending an email and one for checking email.  What am I looking for?  Should I delete my confidential info (username and password) and post the two logs to this forum?</p><p> You wrote:</p><p> I have Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus/antispyware, and the Windows firewall only.  Only this computer is currently being used for Pegasus.</p><p> Regards,  Paula </p>

You wrote:

You can now try again to send/receive the mail and then look at the

resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly

what is going on between WinPMail and the server.

OK, I created a session log for sending an email and one for checking email.  What am I looking for?  Should I delete my confidential info (username and password) and post the two logs to this forum?

Delays, hangs, i.e. significant time delays between lines in the file.   

You wrote:

I have Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus/antispyware, and the Windows firewall only. 

Try turning these off to see what happens.

Only this computer is currently being used for Pegasus.

One user, one computer.  I thought there were a number of people  having problems with this.  If it's only one computer it really lloks like there is some device missing and the system is hung until it time out.  Could be the software though if it actually scanning files in the Pegasus Mail directories. 

Regards,  Paula

[/quote]
[quote user="Paula Gibeault"]<blockquote><p> You wrote: </p><p> You can now try again to send/receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.</p><p> OK, I created a session log for sending an email and one for checking email.  What am I looking for?  Should I delete my confidential info (username and password) and post the two logs to this forum?</p></blockquote><p>Delays, hangs, i.e. significant time delays between lines in the file.    </p><blockquote><p> You wrote:</p><p> I have Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus/antispyware, and the Windows firewall only.  </p></blockquote><p>Try turning these off to see what happens. </p><blockquote><p>Only this computer is currently being used for Pegasus.</p></blockquote><p>One user, one computer.  I thought there were a number of people  having problems with this.  If it's only one computer it really lloks like there is some device missing and the system is hung until it time out.  Could be the software though if it actually scanning files in the Pegasus Mail directories.  </p><blockquote><p> Regards,  Paula </p></blockquote>[/quote]

Hello again.  I tried turning off Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus, and the Windows Firewall (individually) - no change to the problem.

The session variables revealed the entire process of opening and closing the connection (both sending and receiving mail) took all of two seconds - so that is not where the hangup occurs.

I keep wondering why the banner says "Not Responding" next to the words Pegasus Mail at the top.  Not responding to what?  A Windows request?

Paula

<p>Hello again.  I tried turning off Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus, and the Windows Firewall (individually) - no change to the problem.</p><p> The session variables revealed the entire process of opening and closing the connection (both sending and receiving mail) took all of two seconds - so that is not where the hangup occurs.</p><p> I keep wondering why the banner says "Not Responding" next to the words Pegasus Mail at the top.  Not responding to what?  A Windows request? </p><p> Paula </p>

Hello again.  I tried turning off Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus, and the Windows Firewall (individually) - no change to the problem.

The session variables revealed the entire process of opening and closing the connection (both sending and receiving mail) took all of two seconds - so that is not where the hangup occurs.

I keep wondering why the banner says "Not Responding" next to the words Pegasus Mail at the top.  Not responding to what?  A Windows request?

The "Not responding" normally means a program is busy doing something. In this case it might be waiting for a response from some device that is not available like a drive, printer, etc.  This can happen when the program asks to see the system assets for any number of reasons.  The thirty seconds though still sounds like this is related somehow to the TCP/IP functions and the winsock.  What is your setting in Tools | Options | Advanced for the winsock.  Have you tried to change this to "Always"?

Paula

[/quote]
[quote user="Paula Gibeault"]<blockquote><p>Hello again.  I tried turning off Stopzilla, VIPRE antivirus, and the Windows Firewall (individually) - no change to the problem.</p><p> The session variables revealed the entire process of opening and closing the connection (both sending and receiving mail) took all of two seconds - so that is not where the hangup occurs.</p><p> I keep wondering why the banner says "Not Responding" next to the words Pegasus Mail at the top.  Not responding to what?  A Windows request?</p></blockquote><p>The "Not responding" normally means a program is busy doing something. In this case it might be waiting for a response from some device that is not available like a drive, printer, etc.  This can happen when the program asks to see the system assets for any number of reasons.  The thirty seconds though still sounds like this is related somehow to the TCP/IP functions and the winsock.  What is your setting in Tools | Options | Advanced for the winsock.  Have you tried to change this to "Always"?</p><blockquote><p> Paula </p></blockquote>[/quote]
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft