Community Discussions and Support
NAV mail trojan

Seeing your mention of the default mailbox installation location made me think ... Does it matter that I always install PMail to c:\Program Files\ ? Also is there a tweak that will allow installation of default mailbox *at the outset* in, say, the Documents folder. Maybe there's something I haven't figured out that's staring me in the face here, but this possibility would make my data back up routine just that bit simpler.
Best regards, Keith

Seeing your mention of the default mailbox installation location made me think ... Does it matter that I always install PMail to c:\Program Files\ ? Also is there a tweak that will allow installation of default mailbox *at the outset* in, say, the Documents folder. Maybe there's something I haven't figured out that's staring me in the face here, but this possibility would make my data back up routine just that bit simpler. Best regards, Keith

Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me, I got all screwed up w/the AV dropping and before I could stop it something happened to my Pegasus mail.  What I have right now is a version dating back to Sep/06 of my mail content that I had backed up.  So I've lost all my files and addresses that I have loaded since then.  During the problem I downloaded the version again to reset pegasus and it somehow screwed up and I've lost those months.  Do you have any suggestions on how to find my missing files?  I'm not sure on what to look for or if I've lost it completely.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tks Wendy 

<p>Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me, I got all screwed up w/the AV dropping and before I could stop it something happened to my Pegasus mail.  What I have right now is a version dating back to Sep/06 of my mail content that I had backed up.  So I've lost all my files and addresses that I have loaded since then.  During the problem I downloaded the version again to reset pegasus and it somehow screwed up and I've lost those months.  Do you have any suggestions on how to find my missing files?  I'm not sure on what to look for or if I've lost it completely.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.</p><p> </p><p>tks Wendy </p>

You probably installed a new version instead of updating from an older version. Anyway the newest version installs your mail in c:\pmail\mail\admin by default and previous versions installed the mail in c:\pmail\mail.

So you have to dig around on disk a bit, using windows explorer to locate the right directories.

The only thing you have to do is to copy the file winpm-32.exe (which was deleted by the NAV problem) back to the location it had before the installation. The file must be in the same location as winpm-32.dat resides.
After that, create a new shortcut or use the installer and choose the "update" option.

<p>You probably installed a new version instead of updating from an older version. Anyway the newest version installs your mail in c:\pmail\mail\admin by default and previous versions installed the mail in c:\pmail\mail.</p><p>So you have to dig around on disk a bit, using windows explorer to locate the right directories. </p><p>The only thing you have to do is to copy the file winpm-32.exe (which was deleted by the NAV problem) back to the location it had before the installation. The file must be in the same location as winpm-32.dat resides. After that, create a new shortcut or use the installer and choose the "update" option.</p><p> </p><p>  </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Wendy,

I had the same problem (see the "cannot access emails" thread) and here's something from David Harris that could help:

Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly:

1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere.

2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps.

3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located.

4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on.

That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space.

If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem.

Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated.

Cheers!

-- David --

--pbm 

<P>Wendy, </P> <P>I had the same problem (see the "cannot access emails" thread) and here's something from David Harris that could help:</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Here's the answer I've been giving out to people who have been complaining about this to me directly: 1: Run Pegasus Mail; choose "About Pegasus Mail" from the "Help" menu and click the "Info" button. About four or five items down you'll see  an item called "Home mailbox location". Write this directory name down somewhere. 2: Exit from Pegasus Mail - this is VERY IMPORTANT. The program MUST NOT BE RUNNING during the next steps. 3: In Windows, click "Start", then "Search"; do a search for "All files" containing ".PMM" in their name. There will probably be some in the directory you noted down in step 1 - ignore these. Somewhere else, there will be a whole lot of them: these are your mail folders in the original installation. Note down the directory where these files are located. 4: Now, using Windows Explorer or a command prompt, simply COPY (make sure you COPY rather than MOVE) **ALL** files in the directory you found in step 3 into the directory you noted down in step 1. If you get prompted to overwrite any files, choose "No" - we can deal with them separately later on. That should be all it takes. When you restart Pegasus Mail, everything should be the way it was. Once you're certain that everything is correct, you can delete the contents of the directory you found in step 3, although it would probably be prudent to leave it there for a while or make a backup to CD/DVD if you have the time and space. If you find that this procedure does not work (i.e, Pegasus Mail starts up but still doesn't see your mail files), then exit from the program, and edit the file PMAIL.INI using Notepad (make sure word wrap is turned OFF). Locate any line starting with "Home mailbox location =" and delete it. This should fix the problem. Note that this answer assumes that your new mail directory and your home mailbox are the same location, which is the usual default value. If you have somehow managed to move your home mailbox location, then things are much more complicated. Cheers! -- David -- </P> <P>--pbm </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Thanks for your reply, I tried your first step and put everything there and it didn't work.  so I'm going to try your second suggestion, but can I get you to be a bit more details on the instructions.

Using Notepad, can you detail the steps for me please?

tks

Wendy 

<p>Thanks for your reply, I tried your first step and put everything there and it didn't work.  so I'm going to try your second suggestion, but can I get you to be a bit more details on the instructions.</p><p>Using Notepad, can you detail the steps for me please?</p><p>tks</p><p>Wendy </p>

Wendy,

Perhaps you've solved the problem by now -- or given up.... But I think that the last suggestion by David -- to edit pmail.ini file with Notepad -- is pretty explicit.  Just locate that file, using Explorer (right-click on Start menu and chose Explore) in the directory where Pmail is located (usually c:\pmail\mail) and delete the bit that David suggested deleting.  It worked for me.

I'm still trying to get an answer to my question about which file contains the Internet settings, the Signature contents, and a few other setting-like things.  And when or when can we get a Pegasus version that retains the complete folder structure somewhere?

--pbm

<P>Wendy, </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Perhaps you've solved the problem by now -- or given up.... But I think that the last suggestion by David -- to edit pmail.ini file with Notepad -- is pretty explicit.  Just locate that file, using Explorer (right-click on Start menu and chose Explore) in the directory where Pmail is located (usually c:\pmail\mail) and delete the bit that David suggested deleting.  It worked for me.</P> <P> I'm still trying to get an answer to my question about which file contains the Internet settings, the Signature contents, and a few other setting-like things.  And when or when can we get a Pegasus version that retains the complete folder structure somewhere?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>--pbm</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft