Mercury Suggestions
Sv: FILTER'S OPERATING ORDER - I'm sure everyone will agree!

As wonderful and powerful as Mercury is, it really needs some consolidation in the area of filters. They can get overwhelming and confusing to manage, even if you have been working with the program for years. Filteing rules, Content control, Spam control, Compliance, Acceptance settings, White and Black lists, etc., should ALL be consolidated into one module shared by all other modules. In the filtering module, each filter is given a cummulative weight as well as a choice of action, and EVERY filter is executed in order from top to bottom unless a terminal type of action is triggered. The rule order should also be easy to change (up/down.) From there, the cummulative weight can help determine a final action. As an enhancement, a choice can be given for the filters to be applied to traffic that is incoming, outgoing, or both. Perhaps another choice can be given in each filter to determine which services the filter applies to (SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc.)

Along the same lines, I find it quite tragic that Mercury stops processing any more RBLs in the SMTP module if a single one comes back positive. I find this behavior in the software TOTALLY inadecuate and counter productive. While there are a handfull of fairly decent RBLs like Spamhaus, and Spamcop, there are other minor ones such as DSBL, AbuseAt, CompleteWhois, FiveTen, and even country identifiers such as zz.countries.nerd.dk that I always like to query, but I don't fully trust. I don't think any of us fully trusts any of them, but since some RBLs are more reliable than others, a person should be able to test more than one WITHOUT stop. There should be a way to assign a cummulative and separate score to each RBL on the list. This would allow a person to, for example, assign a higher weight to Spamhaus, but still test other RBLs as a way of getting a "second opinion." PLEASE think about implementing this. Like in my sugestion above regarding the filters, you can allow actions for each RBL, so that optionally, hitting a certain score will skip the rest of the RBLs from being tested, but this should be optional.

Thanks for all you do.

<P>As wonderful and powerful as Mercury is, it really needs some consolidation in the area of filters. They can get overwhelming and confusing to manage, even if you have been working with the program for years. Filteing rules, Content control, Spam control, Compliance, Acceptance settings, White and Black lists, etc., should ALL be consolidated into one module shared by all other modules. In the filtering module, each filter is given a cummulative weight as well as a choice of action, and EVERY filter is executed in order from top to bottom unless a terminal type of action is triggered. The rule order should also be easy to change (up/down.) From there, the cummulative weight can help determine a final action. As an enhancement, a choice can be given for the filters to be applied to traffic that is incoming, outgoing, or both. Perhaps another choice can be given in each filter to determine which services the filter applies to (SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc.)</P> <P>Along the same lines, I find it quite tragic that Mercury stops processing any more RBLs in the SMTP module if a single one comes back positive. I find this behavior in the software TOTALLY inadecuate and counter productive. While there are a handfull of fairly decent RBLs like Spamhaus, and Spamcop, there are other minor ones such as DSBL, AbuseAt, CompleteWhois, FiveTen, and even country identifiers such as zz.countries.nerd.dk that I always like to query, but I don't fully trust. I don't think any of us fully trusts any of them, but since some RBLs are more reliable than others, a person should be able to test more than one WITHOUT stop. There should be a way to assign a cummulative and separate score to each RBL on the list. This would allow a person to, for example, assign a higher weight to Spamhaus, but still test other RBLs as a way of getting a "second opinion." PLEASE think about implementing this. Like in my sugestion above regarding the filters, you can allow actions for each RBL, so that optionally, hitting a certain score will skip the rest of the RBLs from being tested, but this should be optional.</P> <P> Thanks for all you do.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft