Community Discussions and Support
Configure Mercury Distribution Lists with Exchange 2003?

[quote user="lanwanman"]
Thomas:  Thanks for your reply.  The installation of Mercury server and the

distribution list setup seem fairly straightforward. Only one thing...I'm

running an Exchange server on my network. I have some concerns. I

realize some of my concerns may beyond the scope of this forum. Any

input on the following?

1. What is best practice? Install Mercury server on the Exchange Server or on a separate server?

Depends on a couple of things.  If you have a XP system laying around not doing anything i would use it.  If you can tell Exchange to only use port 25 on one IP inerface and mercury/32 on the other I would run them both on the same system.  It no best practice here, do what you need to in your setup.
2. Will I be able to add my Exchange Server email domain name to Mercury server without any conflicts with Exchange Server?
No, every SMTP host needs it's own domain.  Or course you can use Mercury/32 as the front end to Exchange (handy for filtering, anti-spam, and anti-virus) running on a port other than port 25.  Check the Mercury downloads section for the Petr Jaklin WSMTPEx program. 
3. What smtp server am I using to send out the distribution list? The Exchange Server or one created by Mercury?
Agains depends.  Mercury/32 MercuryE can send direct or using MercuryC via the Exchange (or other SMTP host) as a relay host.  I would perfer to offload the mailing list to MercuryE to keep the load off Exchange.
4. Do I need to be concerned about getting blacklisted? Why or why not?
You are always concerned about blacklisting.  The people getting your mailings, even if they are not on a double authenticated opt-in to the list, can quite easily report your mailing as spam and get the IP address blacklisted. I've not had that happen but then I'm only running reunion type mailing lists.  If you are doing commericial type mailings it's a lot more of a problem.
[/quote]
<blockquote>[quote user="lanwanman"]</blockquote><blockquote>Thomas:  Thanks for your reply.  The installation of Mercury server and the distribution list setup seem fairly straightforward. Only one thing...I'm running an Exchange server on my network. I have some concerns. I realize some of my concerns may beyond the scope of this forum. Any input on the following? 1. What is best practice? Install Mercury server on the Exchange Server or on a separate server?</blockquote>Depends on a couple of things.  If you have a XP system laying around not doing anything i would use it.  If you can tell Exchange to only use port 25 on one IP inerface and mercury/32 on the other I would run them both on the same system.  It no best practice here, do what you need to in your setup. <blockquote>2. Will I be able to add my Exchange Server email domain name to Mercury server without any conflicts with Exchange Server?</blockquote>No, every SMTP host needs it's own domain.  Or course you can use Mercury/32 as the front end to Exchange (handy for filtering, anti-spam, and anti-virus) running on a port other than port 25.  Check the Mercury downloads section for the Petr Jaklin WSMTPEx program.  <blockquote>3. What smtp server am I using to send out the distribution list? The Exchange Server or one created by Mercury?</blockquote>Agains depends.  Mercury/32 MercuryE can send direct or using MercuryC via the Exchange (or other SMTP host) as a relay host.  I would perfer to offload the mailing list to MercuryE to keep the load off Exchange. <blockquote>4. Do I need to be concerned about getting blacklisted? Why or why not?</blockquote>You are always concerned about blacklisting.  The people getting your mailings, even if they are not on a double authenticated opt-in to the list, can quite easily report your mailing as spam and get the IP address blacklisted. I've not had that happen but then I'm only running reunion type mailing lists.  If you are doing commericial type mailings it's a lot more of a problem. <blockquote>[/quote]</blockquote>

I'm looking to set up an Mercury server that will run my mass emails to external recipients. I'm in the very beginning stages of this project. I don't even know how many external recipients I will be dealing with. I assuming approximately around 200. I currently run a Exchange 2003 Server in my environment. Would it make sense to set up a dedicated Mercury server to run my distribution lists/mass email since Exchange sucks at mass emails. I was thinking I could setup a Mercury server on the Exchange server OS, or on a separate server (does anyone have a suggestion on that?) that only runs distribution lists and either sends the emails out through the Exchange server, or have the Exchange server use the Mercury server to send out it's distribution list. I do have a secondary internet line that I'm only using as a failover in the event my primary line goes down. Maybe I could use that secondary internet line to send out the mass emails somehow. I'm just looking for any input on this project or would like to know if anyone out there is running a Mercury server in a similar scenario.

Thanks!

I'm looking to set up an Mercury server that will run my mass emails to external recipients. I'm in the very beginning stages of this project. I don't even know how many external recipients I will be dealing with. I assuming approximately around 200. I currently run a Exchange 2003 Server in my environment. Would it make sense to set up a dedicated Mercury server to run my distribution lists/mass email since Exchange sucks at mass emails. I was thinking I could setup a Mercury server on the Exchange server OS, or on a separate server (does anyone have a suggestion on that?) that only runs distribution lists and either sends the emails out through the Exchange server, or have the Exchange server use the Mercury server to send out it's distribution list. I do have a secondary internet line that I'm only using as a failover in the event my primary line goes down. Maybe I could use that secondary internet line to send out the mass emails somehow. I'm just looking for any input on this project or would like to know if anyone out there is running a Mercury server in a similar scenario. Thanks!

[quote user="lanwanman"]

I'm looking to set up an Mercury server that will run my mass emails to external recipients. I'm in the very beginning stages of this project. I don't even know how many external recipients I will be dealing with. I assuming approximately around 200. I currently run a Exchange 2003 Server in my environment. Would it make sense to set up a dedicated Mercury server to run my distribution lists/mass email since Exchange sucks at mass emails. I was thinking I could setup a Mercury server on the Exchange server OS, or on a separate server (does anyone have a suggestion on that?) that only runs distribution lists and either sends the emails out through the Exchange server, or have the Exchange server use the Mercury server to send out it's distribution list. I do have a secondary internet line that I'm only using as a failover in the event my primary line goes down. Maybe I could use that secondary internet line to send out the mass emails somehow. I'm just looking for any input on this project or would like to know if anyone out there is running a Mercury server in a similar scenario.

Thanks!

Should be no problem at all running Mercury/32 on the same server as long as you have it using the secondary internet connection for the MercuryS server.  You have to go into the MercuryS setup and select the specific IP interface to use so it will not be conflicting with Exchange. 

[/quote]

<p>[quote user="lanwanman"]</p><blockquote><p>I'm looking to set up an Mercury server that will run my mass emails to external recipients. I'm in the very beginning stages of this project. I don't even know how many external recipients I will be dealing with. I assuming approximately around 200. I currently run a Exchange 2003 Server in my environment. Would it make sense to set up a dedicated Mercury server to run my distribution lists/mass email since Exchange sucks at mass emails. I was thinking I could setup a Mercury server on the Exchange server OS, or on a separate server (does anyone have a suggestion on that?) that only runs distribution lists and either sends the emails out through the Exchange server, or have the Exchange server use the Mercury server to send out it's distribution list. I do have a secondary internet line that I'm only using as a failover in the event my primary line goes down. Maybe I could use that secondary internet line to send out the mass emails somehow. I'm just looking for any input on this project or would like to know if anyone out there is running a Mercury server in a similar scenario. Thanks!</p></blockquote><p>Should be no problem at all running Mercury/32 on the same server as long as you have it using the secondary internet connection for the MercuryS server.  You have to go into the MercuryS setup and select the specific IP interface to use so it will not be conflicting with Exchange.  </p><blockquote><p> </p></blockquote><p>[/quote]</p>

Thomas:  Thanks for your reply.  The installation of Mercury server and the

distribution list setup seem fairly straightforward. Only one thing...I'm

running an Exchange server on my network. I have some concerns. I

realize some of my concerns may beyond the scope of this forum. Any

input on the following?

1. What is best practice? Install Mercury server on the Exchange Server or on a separate server?

2. Will I be able to add my Exchange Server email domain name to Mercury server without any conflicts with Exchange Server?

3. What smtp server am I using to send out the distribution list? The Exchange Server or one created by Mercury?

4. Do I need to be concerned about getting blacklisted? Why or why not?

Thomas:  Thanks for your reply.  The installation of Mercury server and the distribution list setup seem fairly straightforward. Only one thing...I'm running an Exchange server on my network. I have some concerns. I realize some of my concerns may beyond the scope of this forum. Any input on the following? 1. What is best practice? Install Mercury server on the Exchange Server or on a separate server? 2. Will I be able to add my Exchange Server email domain name to Mercury server without any conflicts with Exchange Server? 3. What smtp server am I using to send out the distribution list? The Exchange Server or one created by Mercury? 4. Do I need to be concerned about getting blacklisted? Why or why not?
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft