Community Discussions and Support
AW: Pmail and BearHTML

Martin,
I have compiled a set of messages some time ago which likely cause some crashes. This does not happen all the time but clicking forth and back on various messages a few times may trigger the crash (preview as well opening in own window). I suspect that it would be related to html rendering problems (I am not a programmer)? I will send you the tow zip files which hold several messages for you to test.
Cheers
Thomas

Martin, I have compiled a set of messages some time ago which likely cause some crashes. This does not happen all the time but clicking forth and back on various messages a few times may trigger the crash (preview as well opening in own window). I suspect that it would be related to html rendering problems (I am not a programmer)? I will send you the tow zip files which hold several messages for you to test. Cheers Thomas

I don't know if this the correct forum, but I would like to make a suggestion: If you have BearHTML installed, I would remove it.

I have found that some HTML emails cause Pmail to crash when it is used. The internal renderer works fine. Just an observation.

Regards. SJS.

<P>I don't know if this the correct forum, but I would like to make a suggestion: If you have BearHTML installed, I would remove it.</P> <P>I have found that some HTML emails cause Pmail to crash when it is used. The internal renderer works fine. Just an observation.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Regards. SJS.</P>

Of course you can do this as long as you don't want Bearhtml features such as remote graphics or phishing alarms.

Martin

<p>Of course you can do this as long as you don't want Bearhtml features such as remote graphics or phishing alarms.</p><p>Martin </p>

I never had these anyway -  remote graphics never worked and I run a ClamAV policy on M/32, so it removes all the nasties. By not running BearHTML, I no longer get crashes due to badly formatted HTML email. Pmail (v4.41) seems to handle it better (well done David).

Thanks. Stephen.

<P>I never had these anyway -  remote graphics never worked and I run a ClamAV policy on M/32, so it removes all the nasties. By not running BearHTML, I no longer get crashes due to badly formatted HTML email. Pmail (v4.41) seems to handle it better (well done David).</P> <P>Thanks. Stephen.</P>

Stephen,
The crashes related to badly formatted html emails have been persistent (and a pain) since I installed the 4.50 PB1. I strongly presume and hope that it will be fixed in the production version.
I did not know that it would be possible to install/uninstall or configure PM to run without BearHTML. How does it work?
Cheers
Thomas

Stephen, The crashes related to badly formatted html emails have been persistent (and a pain) since I installed the 4.50 PB1. I strongly presume and hope that it will be fixed in the production version. I did not know that it would be possible to install/uninstall or configure PM to run without BearHTML. How does it work? Cheers Thomas

[quote user="tmstein"]Stephen,
I did not know that it would be possible to install/uninstall or configure PM to run without BearHTML. How does it work?
Cheers
Thomas

[/quote]

uninstall bearHMTL:

1. Shut-down Pegasus Mail

2. Rename or delete the file "Bearhtml.dll" in the Pegasus mail program directory

3. Restart Pegasus Mail

I have no problems with ues of BearHTML. My formatted html emails are displayed better with bearHMTL.

My settings in the file "BEARHTML.INI"

ScrollPixels=20
ScrollRepeat=1
ScrollDelayMs=1
DefaultFontSize=10
defaultFontName=Arial Unicode MS
defaultfontcolor=black
WantBl=Yes
WantIEcache=No
Wantcache=yes
cache-days=7
LocalIpAddress=127.0.0.1
wantcss=no
maxfetchtime=25
checkutf8=true
redirection=no
scoretidy=true
loglevel=3
printsetup=yes
prtflags=3
shortinfo=false
warnextensions=.exe.pif.scr
clearondelete=yes
wanturlrequest=no
unloadwininet=false

<P>[quote user="tmstein"]Stephen, I did not know that it would be possible to install/uninstall or configure PM to run without BearHTML. How does it work? Cheers Thomas [/quote]</P> <P>uninstall bearHMTL:</P> <OL> <LI>Shut-down Pegasus Mail <LI>Rename or delete the file "Bearhtml.dll" in the Pegasus mail program directory <LI>Restart Pegasus Mail </LI></OL> <P>I have no problems with ues of BearHTML. My formatted html emails are displayed better with bearHMTL.</P> <P>My settings in the file "BEARHTML.INI" </P> <P>ScrollPixels=20 ScrollRepeat=1 ScrollDelayMs=1 DefaultFontSize=10 defaultFontName=Arial Unicode MS defaultfontcolor=black WantBl=Yes WantIEcache=No Wantcache=yes cache-days=7 LocalIpAddress=127.0.0.1 wantcss=no maxfetchtime=25 checkutf8=true redirection=no scoretidy=true loglevel=3 printsetup=yes prtflags=3 shortinfo=false warnextensions=.exe.pif.scr clearondelete=yes wanturlrequest=no unloadwininet=false </P>

Peggy, I tried your settings, but BearHTML still causes Pmail to crash when trying to read a badly formatted message. If I disable BearHTML, Pmail works fine.

Regards. SJS.

<P>Peggy, I tried your settings, but BearHTML still causes Pmail to crash when trying to read a badly formatted message. If I disable BearHTML, Pmail works fine.</P> <P> Regards. SJS.</P>

I would really appreciate a copy of this problem message to see what Bearhtml is doing with it.   Please forward a copy to me to my email address: irelam@telus.net   I will use it only for investigation purposes, and dispose it when done.

Thank you,

Martin

<p>I would really appreciate a copy of this problem message to see what Bearhtml is doing with it.   Please forward a copy to me to my email address: irelam@telus.net   I will use it only for investigation purposes, and dispose it when done.</p><p>Thank you,</p><p>    Martin </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft