Community Discussions and Support
Address books: nicknames and address mismatch

Your .PM! address book index file is corrupted.  Unfortunately we don't have any modern internal tools to repair address books.  There is the old dos-based PMIMPORT.EXE utility that you can extract from the PMAIL/DOS version (v3.5 is available from the download web site).  PMIMPORT can extract the data from the address book, you can then check it and clean up any duplicates, then reimport it into a new address book.  Note that you can use the Tab key in PMIMPORT to bring up a file/directory selector window when in a field that asks for a filename.

<P>Your .PM! address book index file is corrupted.  Unfortunately we don't have any modern internal tools to repair address books.  There is the old dos-based PMIMPORT.EXE utility that you can extract from the PMAIL/DOS version (v3.5 is available from the download web site).  PMIMPORT can extract the data from the address book, you can then check it and clean up any duplicates, then reimport it into a new address book.  Note that you can use the Tab key in PMIMPORT to bring up a file/directory selector window when in a field that asks for a filename.</P>

Every once in a while for several years I have encountered two phenomena with my address books: 1) The shortcut names all appear twice, but one of them refers to a different entry; and (2) now, every shortcut name refers to the wrong entry. (Now using v4.41)

In the past, with Problem 1 I either used a backup copy (very handy to make, by the way), or else I physically edited out all the "bad" references. In the situation I now face, even restoring my clean backup copy didn't fix the problem. Every entry refers to the wrong address!  Do I have to go in and edit all of them? Is there an easier option, and how do I stop this happening again?

Most embarassing when you use a nickname from the address book and a love letter goes to the wrong recipient....Help!

regards, Peter

Also, strangely, this morning, Norton decided that winpm-32.exe was a Trojan and beamed it into the ether... Anyone else seen that recently?

<P>Every once in a while for several years I have encountered two phenomena with my address books: 1) The shortcut names all appear twice, but one of them refers to a different entry; and (2) now, every shortcut name refers to the wrong entry. (Now using v4.41)</P> <P>In the past, with Problem 1 I either used a backup copy (very handy to make, by the way), or else I physically edited out all the "bad" references. In the situation I now face, even restoring my clean backup copy didn't fix the problem. Every entry refers to the wrong address!  Do I have to go in and edit all of them? Is there an easier option, and how do I stop this happening again?</P> <P>Most embarassing when you use a nickname from the address book and a love letter goes to the wrong recipient....Help!</P> <P>regards, Peter</P> <P><EM>Also, strangely, this morning, Norton decided that winpm-32.exe was a Trojan and beamed it into the ether... Anyone else seen that recently?</EM></P>

[quote user="Euromancan"]

Also, strangely, this morning, Norton decided that winpm-32.exe was a Trojan and beamed it into the ether... Anyone else seen that recently?

[/quote]

Yes we have been over this the past days, the latest version of the AV is ok again.

http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/842.aspx

[quote user="Euromancan"]<p><i>Also, strangely, this morning, Norton decided that winpm-32.exe was a Trojan and beamed it into the ether... Anyone else seen that recently?</i></p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Yes we have been over this the past days, the latest version of the AV is ok again. </p><p>http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/842.aspx </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft