Community Discussions and Support
Trying to recover from the Norton/Symantec AV fiasco

Go to the directory containing winpm-32.exe (should be c:\pmail\programs on a new install) and run the program pconfig.exe.  Set the standalone HOME and NEW mail directory spec to c:\pmail\mail\~8 then save and exit.  It should now be pointing to your multiuser installation and when you enter "John" for the user name it should get your old mail.

<p>Go to the directory containing winpm-32.exe (should be c:\pmail\programs on a new install) and run the program pconfig.exe.  Set the standalone HOME and NEW mail directory spec to c:\pmail\mail\~8 then save and exit.  It should now be pointing to your multiuser installation and when you enter "John" for the user name it should get your old mail.</p><p> </p>

12 year Pmail user, first forum post. In trying to recover from the Norton AV disaster I made the mistake of assuming Pmail was really infected. So I downloaded a fresh w32-441.exe and installed it. Turns out since it couldn't find a wpm-32.exe it assumed it was a new installation and installed as a single user app. I had previously been set up as multi-user and was operating as Identity "John". I had years-and-years of correspondence stored under "John".

So I check and the directory Pmail\MAIL\John still exists with 238 files including FOL0389E.PMM sized 324,573 KB, which I assume is my MAIN directory/folder. I then backup the entire Pmail directory structure on another disk, so all my data is saved away. Trouble is I haven't figured out how to do a new installation configured for multiple identities, one of which would be "John". I figured that if I was able to set Pmail up that way I could just copy the entire \John directory from my backup disk to C:\Pmail\MAIL\John and I'd be back in business.

I've tried removing Pmail using the control panel add/remove feature, then deleting the entire C:\Pmail directory structure, restarting my computer and reinstalling Pmail. It's not letting me configure for multiple identities, and when I use the tools/identities feature it doesn't set up a Pmail\MAIL\John directory.

Any ideas?

BTW, my GF (of course) had the same problem but when I reached the point where the installation process was supposed to give the update/new installation option and it wasn't asking, I stopped the process and wrote a dummy wpm-32.exe file into \Pmail. The installation process then allowed the upgrade option and all was well, probably because Norton had by that time issued a virus definition update.  :-|

<p>12 year Pmail user, first forum post. In trying to recover from the Norton AV disaster I made the mistake of assuming Pmail was really infected. So I downloaded a fresh w32-441.exe and installed it. Turns out since it couldn't find a wpm-32.exe it assumed it was a new installation and installed as a single user app. I had previously been set up as multi-user and was operating as Identity "John". I had years-and-years of correspondence stored under "John".</p><p> So I check and the directory Pmail\MAIL\John still exists with 238 files including FOL0389E.PMM sized 324,573 KB, which I assume is my MAIN directory/folder. I then backup the entire Pmail directory structure on another disk, so all my data is saved away. Trouble is I haven't figured out how to do a new installation configured for multiple identities, one of which would be "John". I figured that if I was able to set Pmail up that way I could just copy the entire \John directory from my backup disk to C:\Pmail\MAIL\John and I'd be back in business.</p><p>  I've tried removing Pmail using the control panel add/remove feature, then deleting the entire C:\Pmail directory structure, restarting my computer and reinstalling Pmail. It's not letting me configure for multiple identities, and when I use the tools/identities feature it doesn't set up a Pmail\MAIL\John directory.</p><p>  Any ideas?</p><p>  BTW, my GF (of course) had the same problem but when I reached the point where the installation process was supposed to give the update/new installation option and it wasn't asking, I stopped the process and wrote a dummy wpm-32.exe file into \Pmail. The installation process then allowed the upgrade option and all was well, probably because Norton had by that time issued a virus definition update.  :-|</p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft