Community Discussions and Support
Sv: Setup Wins Server 2008

thanks rolf, finally i get the answer. it is because of the windows firewall. i turn off the firewall and then everything going to be ok. so thanks for the support. now i can sleep with one peace. any problem that will come out i will let the forums know about it. thanks a lot everybody.

thanks rolf, finally i get the answer. it is because of the windows firewall. i turn off the firewall and then everything going to be ok. so thanks for the support. now i can sleep with one peace. any problem that will come out i will let the forums know about it. thanks a lot everybody.

hi..this morning i try to setup my wins server 2008 with xampp and mercury 32 server. my intention is to setup internal mail for my organisation. the installation success with no error. suddenly when i try to connect from the user desktop using mozilla thunderbird, i cannot do that. my pop3 and smtp cannot find local connection. i have dont try and error to configure mercury 32 but still not success. so i need your help to solve my problem. thanks..

hi..this morning i try to setup my wins server 2008 with xampp and mercury 32 server. my intention is to setup internal mail for my organisation. the installation success with no error. suddenly when i try to connect from the user desktop using mozilla thunderbird, i cannot do that. my pop3 and smtp cannot find local connection. i have dont try and error to configure mercury 32 but still not success. so i need your help to solve my problem. thanks..

hi..this morning i try to setup my wins server 2008 with xampp and

mercury 32 server. my intention is to setup internal mail for my

organisation. the installation success with no error. suddenly when i

try to connect from the user desktop using mozilla thunderbird, i

cannot do that. my pop3 and smtp cannot find local connection. i have

dont try and error to configure mercury 32 but still not success. so i

need your help to solve my problem. thanks..

First thing to do is to open the Mercury/32 program and check all of the protocols.  I'm not all that sure that the XAMPP package installer gets this right since we see this problem over and over.  Personally I would get a copy of the latest version of Mercury/32 and install it over the current version. 
<blockquote>hi..this morning i try to setup my wins server 2008 with xampp and mercury 32 server. my intention is to setup internal mail for my organisation. the installation success with no error. suddenly when i try to connect from the user desktop using mozilla thunderbird, i cannot do that. my pop3 and smtp cannot find local connection. i have dont try and error to configure mercury 32 but still not success. so i need your help to solve my problem. thanks..</blockquote>First thing to do is to open the Mercury/32 program and check all of the protocols.  I'm not all that sure that the XAMPP package installer gets this right since we see this problem over and over.  Personally I would get a copy of the latest version of Mercury/32 and install it over the current version. 

so now, what is your suggestion? do i need to setup the server separately without using xampp server. i need your assists. please help me. because i must finish my work within this 2 week. thanks 

so now, what is your suggestion? do i need to setup the server separately without using xampp server. i need your assists. please help me. because i must finish my work within this 2 week. thanks 

for your info im using the latest version of mercury 32 and also latest version of XAMPP server installed in my wins server 2008.

for your info im using the latest version of mercury 32 and also latest version of XAMPP server installed in my wins server 2008.

On a 2008 do a clean install of Mercury 4.62 as stand alone. xampp is a web server, which you use instead of IIS if you like. Download the latest Mercury from the download links here.

Also note that on 2008 you have to open the firewall to be able to communicate with Mercury.

When you've installed, try to use a command tool like telnet to see if Mercury responds on f.ex. port 110 (POP3) - then you know you have contact, and can move on to the client interaction with Mercury from tbird, winmail or whatever you prefer.

<P>On a 2008 do a clean install of Mercury 4.62 as stand alone. xampp is a web server, which you use instead of IIS if you like. Download the latest Mercury from the download links here.</P> <P>Also note that on 2008 you have to open the firewall to be able to communicate with Mercury.</P> <P>When you've installed, try to use a command tool like telnet to see if Mercury responds on f.ex. port 110 (POP3) - then you know you have contact, and can move on to the client interaction with Mercury from tbird, winmail or whatever you prefer.</P>

i already install mercury 4.62 and also open the firewall to be able to communicate with mercury. but it still no connection when i try to access the server from the other desktop. any suggestion? maybe you can guide me from the beginning of the installation.

i already install mercury 4.62 and also open the firewall to be able to communicate with mercury. but it still no connection when i try to access the server from the other desktop. any suggestion? maybe you can guide me from the beginning of the installation.

Basic Mercury installation is very simple - just run the installer, read the help text carefully and select the options that are appropriate for you. When you start the program you can check the console windows for each module to check that everything is working. If you see some error message there let us know and we'll try to figure out the reason.

If on the other hand you can start Mercury normally but can't get access from clients you have some connectivity problem in your local network. Verify again that there is no firewall software active on the server. As Peter suggested it would be a good idea to try Telnet access from the clients to find out exactly what the server does. To do this, open a command prompt window and enter "telnet hostname 25" for SMTP or "telnet hostname 110" for POP3. "hostname" should be either the hostname or the IP number of the server. 

/Rolf 

<p>Basic Mercury installation is very simple - just run the installer, read the help text carefully and select the options that are appropriate for you. When you start the program you can check the console windows for each module to check that everything is working. If you see some error message there let us know and we'll try to figure out the reason.</p><p>If on the other hand you can start Mercury normally but can't get access from clients you have some connectivity problem in your local network. Verify again that there is no firewall software active on the server. As Peter suggested it would be a good idea to try Telnet access from the clients to find out exactly what the server does. To do this, open a command prompt window and enter "telnet hostname 25" for SMTP or "telnet hostname 110" for POP3. "hostname" should be either the hostname or the IP number of the server. </p><p>/Rolf </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft