Community Discussions and Support
Organizing (sorting) messages--can priority be ignored?

[quote user="dilberts_left_nut"][quote user="lesslame"]Hi, thanks for your comments.

• Changing the actual *.cnm file seems more complicated than necessary, using the message properties (F12 in Pegasus) seemed to do the same thing.[/quote]Not sure if Peg actually changes the header or just updates the index, is why I suggested checking it.[/quote]

Yep, you are right, F12 only changes a field in the cnm-file called "X-PMFLAGS: 5761928...", whereas all other fields (e.g. "Priority: Urgent") are left unchanged.

[quote user="dilberts_left_nut"][quote user="lesslame"]Hi, thanks for your comments. <ul><li> Changing the actual *.cnm file seems more complicated than necessary, using the message properties (F12 in Pegasus) seemed to do the same thing.[/quote]Not sure if Peg actually changes the header or just updates the index, is why I suggested checking it.[/quote]</li></ul><p>Yep, you are right, F12 only changes a field in the cnm-file called "X-PMFLAGS: 5761928...", whereas all other fields (e.g. "Priority: Urgent") are left unchanged. </p><p>  </p>

I'm a new PMail user, and apologize if this has been answered somewhere else.  I didn't find an answer searching these forums.

When I fired up PMail the first time and it fetched all my existing messages from the server (I use IMAP), the message list in my new mail folder (primary inbox) seems to automatically display all messages with a priority of "urgent" in red, and automatically places them at the top of the list.  I've been unable to change the apparent default of putting the red messages at the top, no matter what sort category I choose.

I found a separate thread indicating that PMail doesn't allow the color of an urgent message to be changed to anything other than red, but I'd really rather be able to sort my messages by date/time order, and just intersperse the urgent messages within date order.  Is this possible?

A related question:  is it possible to change the priority of a message once it has been received?  I'm a former Eudora user, and that was a function that I found quite handy.

Thanks,

Howard

<p>I'm a new PMail user, and apologize if this has been answered somewhere else.  I didn't find an answer searching these forums. </p><p>When I fired up PMail the first time and it fetched all my existing messages from the server (I use IMAP), the message list in my new mail folder (primary inbox) seems to automatically display all messages with a priority of "urgent" in red, and automatically places them at the top of the list.  I've been unable to change the apparent default of putting the red messages at the top, no matter what sort category I choose. </p><p>I found a separate thread indicating that PMail doesn't allow the color of an urgent message to be changed to anything other than red, but I'd really rather be able to sort my messages by date/time order, and just intersperse the urgent messages within date order.  Is this possible?</p><p>A related question:  is it possible to change the priority of a message once it has been received?  I'm a former Eudora user, and that was a function that I found quite handy.</p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Howard </p>

[quote user="hplevy"]I found a separate thread indicating that PMail doesn't allow the color of an urgent message to be changed to anything other than red, but I'd really rather be able to sort my messages by date/time order, and just intersperse the urgent messages within date order.  Is this possible?[/quote]

Not if you use IMAP to access your mail.  The only commands available is to mark it 'read' or 'unread'.  It's not possible to alter any other 'properties' (F12 if it's in a local folder) or colours over IMAP.  It's frustrating, but that's a limitation of the protocol.

[quote]A related question:  is it possible to change the priority of a message once it has been received?  I'm a former Eudora user, and that was a function that I found quite handy.[/quote]

Not normally.  The priority is given by a header in the email and Pegasus doesn't allow any changes to the original text.

<p>[quote user="hplevy"]I found a separate thread indicating that PMail doesn't allow the color of an urgent message to be changed to anything other than red, but I'd really rather be able to sort my messages by date/time order, and just intersperse the urgent messages within date order.  Is this possible?[/quote]</p><p>Not if you use IMAP to access your mail.  The only commands available is to mark it 'read' or 'unread'.  It's not possible to alter any other 'properties' (F12 if it's in a local folder) or colours over IMAP.  It's frustrating, but that's a limitation of the protocol. </p><p>[quote]A related question:  is it possible to change the priority of a message once it has been received?  I'm a former Eudora user, and that was a function that I found quite handy.[/quote]</p><p>Not normally.  The priority is given by a header in the email and Pegasus doesn't allow any changes to the original text. </p>

I have the same problem: While I can live with the fact, that properties (other than read/unread) of IMAP-emails cannot be changed, I do not understand why Pegasus Mail must sort "urgent priority"-mails to the top of the folder. There is already an option "sort unread before read", why not another option "sort urgent before other"?

In my case all my email is organized in several imap folders, the folders contain 1000+ emails. My standard sort-method for folder-display is to have the newest emails at the top. If I have 20 or so "urgent" emails in a folder, I always have to scroll down past those urgent emails to see my latest emails, even though many of the urgent mails are years old.

Is there any undocumented tweak to change this behavior, or at least hope that this will change within one of the next releases?

<p>I have the same problem: While I can live with the fact, that properties (other than read/unread) of IMAP-emails cannot be changed, I do not understand why Pegasus Mail must sort "urgent priority"-mails to the top of the folder. There is already an option "sort unread before read", why not another option "sort urgent before other"?</p><p>In my case all my email is organized in several imap folders, the folders contain 1000+ emails. My standard sort-method for folder-display is to have the newest emails at the top. If I have 20 or so "urgent" emails in a folder, I always have to scroll down past those urgent emails to see my latest emails, even though many of the urgent mails are years old. </p><p>Is there any undocumented tweak to change this behavior, or at least hope that this will change within one of the next releases?</p>

+1

As a workaround you can move the messages to your local New Mail folder change the Priority header in the .CNM files then move them back.

<p>+1</p><p>As a workaround you can move the messages to your local New Mail folder change the Priority header in the .CNM files then move them back. </p>

Thanks for the tip. It worked, not completely though in my case.

I moved an "urgent" message to my local new mail folder and was able to change the priority in the message properties (F12). Then I moved the message back to the imap folder. This seemed to work, at least while looking at it from Pegasus Mail. Looking at it in detail, I found that after the first step, my imap-folder (in the webfrontend) still had the message inside, it was not deleted but instead only marked for deletion. My imap-provider (fastmail.fm) claims that this is the "correct" way to handle deletion of emails in imap-folders. It is possible to "purge" the imap-folder (using the web-frontend) which would really delete the mail from the folder. I did not do that, though.

In my case moving the message (with normal priority now) back to the imap-folder resulted in removal of the "deletion-mark" from the (still existing) message in the imap-folder. Pegasus now thought that the message was normal priority, but in fact on the imap-server it was still "urgent". When I deleted the header cache in Pegasus and opened the folder again, the message was "urgent" again, as in the beginning. So your workaround idea would only work for me if I "purge" messages in the webfrontend while the message is still in Pegasus "local new mail folder".

I just noticed another oddity concerning the imap-implementation: When connecting to the imap-server, Pegasus correctly display the number of unread emails for all (subscribed) folders. When opening a folder, suddenly some messages appear as unread. These are messages that are new to Pegasus (arrived after the last time Pegasus was run), but already marked read in the imap-folder because I had read them in the webmail-frontend. This means Pegasus does not respect the "read"-mark when finding new messages in an imap folder. In my view this is a bug in Pegasus.

<p>Thanks for the tip. It worked, not completely though in my case. </p><p>I moved an "urgent" message to my local new mail folder and was able to change the priority in the message properties (F12). Then I moved the message back to the imap folder. This seemed to work, at least while looking at it from Pegasus Mail. Looking at it in detail, I found that after the first step, my imap-folder (in the webfrontend) still had the message inside, it was not deleted but instead only marked for deletion. My imap-provider (fastmail.fm) claims that this is the "correct" way to handle deletion of emails in imap-folders. It is possible to "purge" the imap-folder (using the web-frontend) which would really delete the mail from the folder. I did not do that, though. </p><p>In my case moving the message (with normal priority now) back to the imap-folder resulted in removal of the "deletion-mark" from the (still existing) message in the imap-folder. Pegasus now thought that the message was normal priority, but in fact on the imap-server it was still "urgent". When I deleted the header cache in Pegasus and opened the folder again, the message was "urgent" again, as in the beginning. So your workaround idea would only work for me if I "purge" messages in the webfrontend while the message is still in Pegasus "local new mail folder". </p><p>I just noticed another oddity concerning the imap-implementation: When connecting to the imap-server, Pegasus correctly display the number of unread emails for all (subscribed) folders. When opening a folder, suddenly some messages appear as unread. These are messages that are new to Pegasus (arrived after the last time Pegasus was run), but already marked read in the imap-folder because I had read them in the webmail-frontend. This means Pegasus does not respect the "read"-mark when finding new messages in an imap folder. In my view this is a bug in Pegasus. </p>

[quote user="lesslame"]

Thanks for the tip. It worked, not completely though in my case.

I moved an "urgent" message to my local new mail folder and was able to change the priority in the message properties (F12). Then I moved the message back to the imap folder.[/quote]With Pegasus closed, you can check or change the actual header in the message files (*.CNM) in c:\pmail\mail\admin (or whatever your New Mail folder is set to) [quote]This seemed to work, at least while looking at it from Pegasus Mail. Looking at it in detail, I found that after the first step, my imap-folder (in the webfrontend) still had the message inside, it was not deleted but instead only marked for deletion. My imap-provider (fastmail.fm) claims that this is the "correct" way to handle deletion of emails in imap-folders. It is possible to "purge" the imap-folder (using the web-frontend) which would really delete the mail from the folder. I did not do that, though.[/quote]Yes, this is normal IMAP functionality.[quote]In my case moving the message (with normal priority now) back to the imap-folder resulted in removal of the "deletion-mark" from the (still existing) message in the imap-folder. Pegasus now thought that the message was normal priority, but in fact on the imap-server it was still "urgent". When I deleted the header cache in Pegasus and opened the folder again, the message was "urgent" again, as in the beginning. So your workaround idea would only work for me if I "purge" messages in the webfrontend while the message is still in Pegasus "local new mail folder".[/quote]I would recommend purging the deleted messages before copying back messages with the same ID headers etc to avoid confusion.[quote]

I just noticed another oddity concerning the imap-implementation: When connecting to the imap-server, Pegasus correctly display the number of unread emails for all (subscribed) folders. When opening a folder, suddenly some messages appear as unread. These are messages that are new to Pegasus (arrived after the last time Pegasus was run), but already marked read in the imap-folder because I had read them in the webmail-frontend. This means Pegasus does not respect the "read"-mark when finding new messages in an imap folder. In my view this is a bug in Pegasus.

[/quote]The IMAP protocol is fairly complex and implementations differ from server to server. FWIW I have the same issues with Thunderbird & other IMAP clients as well.

[quote user="lesslame"]<p>Thanks for the tip. It worked, not completely though in my case. </p><p>I moved an "urgent" message to my local new mail folder and was able to change the priority in the message properties (F12). Then I moved the message back to the imap folder.[/quote]With Pegasus closed, you can check or change the actual header in the message files (*.CNM) in c:\pmail\mail\admin (or whatever your New Mail folder is set to) [quote]This seemed to work, at least while looking at it from Pegasus Mail. Looking at it in detail, I found that after the first step, my imap-folder (in the webfrontend) still had the message inside, it was not deleted but instead only marked for deletion. My imap-provider (fastmail.fm) claims that this is the "correct" way to handle deletion of emails in imap-folders. It is possible to "purge" the imap-folder (using the web-frontend) which would really delete the mail from the folder. I did not do that, though.[/quote]Yes, this is normal IMAP functionality.[quote]In my case moving the message (with normal priority now) back to the imap-folder resulted in removal of the "deletion-mark" from the (still existing) message in the imap-folder. Pegasus now thought that the message was normal priority, but in fact on the imap-server it was still "urgent". When I deleted the header cache in Pegasus and opened the folder again, the message was "urgent" again, as in the beginning. So your workaround idea would only work for me if I "purge" messages in the webfrontend while the message is still in Pegasus "local new mail folder".[/quote]I would recommend purging the deleted messages before copying back messages with the same ID headers etc to avoid confusion.[quote] </p><p>I just noticed another oddity concerning the imap-implementation: When connecting to the imap-server, Pegasus correctly display the number of unread emails for all (subscribed) folders. When opening a folder, suddenly some messages appear as unread. These are messages that are new to Pegasus (arrived after the last time Pegasus was run), but already marked read in the imap-folder because I had read them in the webmail-frontend. This means Pegasus does not respect the "read"-mark when finding new messages in an imap folder. In my view this is a bug in Pegasus. </p><p>[/quote]The IMAP protocol is fairly complex and implementations differ from server to server. FWIW I have the same issues with Thunderbird & other IMAP clients as well. </p>

Hi, thanks for your comments.

• Changing the actual *.cnm file seems more complicated than necessary, using the message properties (F12 in Pegasus) seemed to do the same thing.
  • Purging the deleted message on the imap-server-side before moving the message back would probably work, I agree
  • It does not surprise me that Thunderbird and other clients have similar issues, but my original problem is not the changing of the message properties. I would gladly leave the properties as they are if the sorting in Pegasus would work differently. E.g. Thunderbird does not sort "urgent" messages to the top, so given the current imap-implementation of Pegasus I will probably stay with Thunderbird for now. Too bad.

Hi, thanks for your comments. <ul><li> Changing the actual *.cnm file seems more complicated than necessary, using the message properties (F12 in Pegasus) seemed to do the same thing. </li><li>Purging the deleted message on the imap-server-side before moving the message back would probably work, I agree</li><li>It does not surprise me that Thunderbird and other clients have similar issues, but my original problem is not the changing of the message properties. I would gladly leave the properties as they are if the sorting in Pegasus would work differently. E.g. Thunderbird does <b>not</b> sort "urgent" messages to the top, so given the current imap-implementation of Pegasus I will probably stay with Thunderbird for now. Too bad. </li></ul><p> </p>

[quote user="lesslame"]Hi, thanks for your comments.

• Changing the actual *.cnm file seems more complicated than necessary, using the message properties (F12 in Pegasus) seemed to do the same thing.[/quote]Not sure if Peg actually changes the header or just updates the index, is why I suggested checking it.[quote]
  • Purging the deleted message on the imap-server-side before moving the message back would probably work, I agree
  • It does not surprise me that Thunderbird and other clients have similar issues, but my original problem is not the changing of the message properties. I would gladly leave the properties as they are if the sorting in Pegasus would work differently.[/quote]Agreed.[quote] E.g. Thunderbird does not sort "urgent" messages to the top, so given the current imap-implementation of Pegasus I will probably stay with Thunderbird for now. Too bad.

[/quote]

Ability to customise fields shown in list view would be nice too [Y]

[quote user="lesslame"]Hi, thanks for your comments. <ul><li> Changing the actual *.cnm file seems more complicated than necessary, using the message properties (F12 in Pegasus) seemed to do the same thing.[/quote]Not sure if Peg actually changes the header or just updates the index, is why I suggested checking it.[quote] </li><li>Purging the deleted message on the imap-server-side before moving the message back would probably work, I agree</li><li>It does not surprise me that Thunderbird and other clients have similar issues, but my original problem is not the changing of the message properties. I would gladly leave the properties as they are if the sorting in Pegasus would work differently.[/quote]Agreed.[quote] E.g. Thunderbird does <b>not</b> sort "urgent" messages to the top, so given the current imap-implementation of Pegasus I will probably stay with Thunderbird for now. Too bad. </li></ul><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Ability to customise fields shown in list view would be nice too [Y] </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft