Pegasus Mail Suggestions
mail filtering

I tried the tests on the rulesets again and verified that you are correct.  However, the reason my previous tests were wrong is because there appears to be a 'feature' that can be both useful or confusing.  If you create a brand-new folder then open a filter and add/modify a rule in which you select a folder as the parameter, the folder selection window will open with that new folder already selected.  It appears that whatever folder you last created since opening Pegasus is automatically selected even if the rule already has a different folder selected.  Strangely, if you close Pmail and start it again, then the selection window will default to 'New Mail' instead, so this 'feature' only applies if you have created a new folder during the same session as you edit the ruleset.

When I did the tests I used the same rule twice, just modifying the 'set' parameter.  I also created the two test folders without restarting Pmail.  So, the first time I chose the first folder, then I edited the rule to change to the other folder and I assumed that the selection window had reselected the folder I had previously selected, but it was actually selecting the last folder created.  This means I was actually selecting the same folder twice, which explains why my test didn't work correctly.

After re-doing the tests correctly I can verify that the rulesets do indeed work as advertised.  However, I'd like to suggest that the selection window be made to automatically choose your previously selected folder (if it exists), and otherwise it should not default to anything.

<p>I tried the tests on the rulesets again and verified that you are correct.  However, the reason my previous tests were wrong is because there appears to be a 'feature' that can be both useful or confusing.  If you create a brand-new folder then open a filter and add/modify a rule in which you select a folder as the parameter, the folder selection window will open with that new folder already selected.  It appears that whatever folder you last created since opening Pegasus is automatically selected even if the rule already has a different folder selected.  Strangely, if you close Pmail and start it again, then the selection window will default to 'New Mail' instead, so this 'feature' only applies if you have created a new folder during the same session as you edit the ruleset. </p><p>When I did the tests I used the same rule twice, just modifying the 'set' parameter.  I also created the two test folders without restarting Pmail.  So, the first time I chose the first folder, then I edited the rule to change to the other folder and I assumed that the selection window had reselected the folder I had previously selected, but it was actually selecting the last folder created.  This means I was actually selecting the same folder twice, which explains why my test didn't work correctly.</p><p>After re-doing the tests correctly I can verify that the rulesets do indeed work as advertised.  However, I'd like to suggest that the selection window be made to automatically choose your previously selected folder (if it exists), and otherwise it should not default to anything.  </p>

There seems to be a 'bug' (feature maybe?) in the filtering of mail into folders with the same name.  If I have two folders of the same name (e.g. Main Folder), then Pegasus will move new mail into whichever folder was created first, regardless of which one I actually choose.  I believe what is happening is that Pegasus is finding the folder by simply picking the first one that has a matching name, rather than picking the unique .pmm filename.  This problem also applies to both the filtering of new mail into a default folder, as well as the general filter rulesets.

This isn't a big problem since I can make my own unique names, but it confused me the first time I ran into it.  I have several project filing trays and each one contains an 'Incoming' and 'Copies' folder.  If I create a rule to move mail from a certain address into 'Incoming' then no matter which incoming folder I choose, all the emails will end up in only the first one that was created.  The workaround for me was to name all folders with the filing tray name prepended making it unique, though somewhat redundant.

If I'm doing something wrong please tell me, otherwise please add a fix for this to the wishlist.

<p>There seems to be a 'bug' (feature maybe?) in the filtering of mail into folders with the same name.  If I have two folders of the same name (e.g. Main Folder), then Pegasus will move new mail into whichever folder was created first, regardless of which one I actually choose.  I believe what is happening is that Pegasus is finding the folder by simply picking the first one that has a matching name, rather than picking the unique .pmm filename.  This problem also applies to both the filtering of new mail into a default folder, as well as the general filter rulesets. </p><p>This isn't a big problem since I can make my own unique names, but it confused me the first time I ran into it.  I have several project filing trays and each one contains an 'Incoming' and 'Copies' folder.  If I create a rule to move mail from a certain address into 'Incoming' then no matter which incoming folder I choose, all the emails will end up in only the first one that was created.  The workaround for me was to name all folders with the filing tray name prepended making it unique, though somewhat redundant.</p><p>If I'm doing something wrong please tell me, otherwise please add a fix for this to the wishlist. </p>

[quote user="Barius"]

There seems to be a 'bug' (feature maybe?) in the filtering of mail into folders with the same name.  If I have two folders of the same name (e.g. Main Folder), then Pegasus will move new mail into whichever folder was created first, regardless of which one I actually choose.  I believe what is happening is that Pegasus is finding the folder by simply picking the first one that has a matching name, rather than picking the unique .pmm filename.  This problem also applies to both the filtering of new mail into a default folder, as well as the general filter rulesets.

This isn't a big problem since I can make my own unique names, but it confused me the first time I ran into it.  I have several project filing trays and each one contains an 'Incoming' and 'Copies' folder.  If I create a rule to move mail from a certain address into 'Incoming' then no matter which incoming folder I choose, all the emails will end up in only the first one that was created.  The workaround for me was to name all folders with the filing tray name prepended making it unique, though somewhat redundant.

If I'm doing something wrong please tell me, otherwise please add a fix for this to the wishlist.

[/quote]

Foldernames should be unique throughout the whole hierarchy, including any "mailbox to list" hierarchy. If not you will get unpredictable results. Sorry but that's a limitation of the way folders in Pegasus Mail work. A future folderformat (known as V4 format) will -probably- not have this limitation.

[quote user="Barius"]<p>There seems to be a 'bug' (feature maybe?) in the filtering of mail into folders with the same name.  If I have two folders of the same name (e.g. Main Folder), then Pegasus will move new mail into whichever folder was created first, regardless of which one I actually choose.  I believe what is happening is that Pegasus is finding the folder by simply picking the first one that has a matching name, rather than picking the unique .pmm filename.  This problem also applies to both the filtering of new mail into a default folder, as well as the general filter rulesets. </p><p>This isn't a big problem since I can make my own unique names, but it confused me the first time I ran into it.  I have several project filing trays and each one contains an 'Incoming' and 'Copies' folder.  If I create a rule to move mail from a certain address into 'Incoming' then no matter which incoming folder I choose, all the emails will end up in only the first one that was created.  The workaround for me was to name all folders with the filing tray name prepended making it unique, though somewhat redundant.</p><p>If I'm doing something wrong please tell me, otherwise please add a fix for this to the wishlist. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Foldernames should be unique throughout the whole hierarchy, including any "mailbox to list" hierarchy. If not you will get unpredictable results. Sorry but that's a limitation of the way folders in Pegasus Mail work. A future folderformat (known as V4 format) will -probably- not have this limitation.</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

That's what I thought, except I'm confused as to why I'm allowed to create two folders with the same name.  If the limitation exists, shouldn't it be enforced?

Eitherway, I'm happy to hear that it's being considered for future versions. 

<p>That's what I thought, except I'm confused as to why I'm allowed to create two folders with the same name.  If the limitation exists, shouldn't it be enforced?</p><p>Eitherway, I'm happy to hear that it's being considered for future versions. </p>

[quote user="Barius"]

There seems to be a 'bug' (feature maybe?) in the filtering of mail into folders with the same name.  If I have two folders of the same name (e.g. Main Folder), then Pegasus will move new mail into whichever folder was created first, regardless of which one I actually choose.

[/quote]

I'm not able to duplicate this here - at least, not with filtering, anyway.

There's a specific restriction in the program that the name of the copy-to-self folder must be unique, because Pegasus Mail DOES select that by name (this is to allow it to create the folder automatically if it doesn't exist). That restriction does not apply to filtering, though - filtering rules reference the unique ID for the folder rather than the name, and hence should always select the right folder (you can see the unique ID the rule set is using by examing the ruleset file using a text editor - Pegasus Mail translates it into friendly form before presenting it to you in the editor). I've just had a quick check through the code to make sure that the rule editor is actually doing what I'm saying it does, and it looks correct.

The only thing I can think of is that you might at some time have copied an existing folder's .PMM file manually for some reason: doing this will result in the UID not being changed correctly for the folder, and an effective duplicate being created. In a case like this, you are correct - Pegasus Mail will choose the first folder it finds with a matching UID. In normal use, though, folders should never have the same UID.

Can you think of any way your folders might have been physically duplicated outside the program?

-- David --

[quote user="Barius"]<p>There seems to be a 'bug' (feature maybe?) in the filtering of mail into folders with the same name.  If I have two folders of the same name (e.g. Main Folder), then Pegasus will move new mail into whichever folder was created first, regardless of which one I actually choose.</p>[/quote] I'm not able to duplicate this here - at least, not with filtering, anyway. There's a specific restriction in the program that the name of the <i>copy-to-self folder</i> must be unique, because Pegasus Mail DOES select that by name (this is to allow it to create the folder automatically if it doesn't exist). That restriction does not apply to filtering, though - filtering rules reference the unique ID for the folder rather than the name, and hence should always select the right folder (you can see the unique ID the rule set is using by examing the ruleset file using a text editor - Pegasus Mail translates it into friendly form before presenting it to you in the editor). I've just had a quick check through the code to make sure that the rule editor is actually doing what I'm saying it does, and it looks correct. The only thing I can think of is that you might at some time have copied an existing folder's .PMM file manually for some reason: doing this will result in the UID not being changed correctly for the folder, and an effective duplicate being created. In a case like this, you are correct - Pegasus Mail will choose the first folder it finds with a matching UID. In normal use, though, folders should never have the same UID. Can you think of any way your folders might have been physically duplicated outside the program? -- David --

It definitely applies to the copies to self, and also to the 'default' folder (usually Main Folder).

I tested a general ruleset before posting to make sure I wasn't just making that part up, so I'm actually very confused as to why it didn't work as you say it should.  I can't see how the two test folders I used could have the same UID since I created them specifically for the tests, but I'll try again tomorrow to verify.  Where can I find the UID inside the .pmm file to check if it has been duplicated?

<p>It definitely applies to the copies to self, and also to the 'default' folder (usually Main Folder).</p><p>I tested a general ruleset before posting to make sure I wasn't just making that part up, so I'm actually very confused as to why it didn't work as you say it should.  I can't see how the two test folders I used could have the same UID since I created them specifically for the tests, but I'll try again tomorrow to verify.  Where can I find the UID inside the .pmm file to check if it has been duplicated?  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft