Community Discussions and Support
AV software suggestion

Does anyone have an idea why deleting messages is such an arduous task for Pegasus since I installed the free trial of NOD32? I disabled appending AV messages via IMON > setup > POP3 > no notification, and it appears to have sped things up a bit?

[quote user="mouse"]

Let me make that more coherent:

[quote user="mouse"]

I am very happy so far with my trial NOD32. The only issue it seems to have caused is that deleting emails from my inbox seems to temporarily (about 3 minutes) freeze up everything. I want to purchase the full deal, but I don't want to have the freeze-up whenever I delete a message.

In case it's relevant, I use windows XP.

[/quote]

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]What email client are you using?[/quote]

I use Pegasus version 4.41. Thank you :) 

[/quote]
<p>Does anyone have an idea why deleting messages is such an arduous task for Pegasus since I installed the free trial of NOD32? I disabled appending AV messages via IMON > setup > POP3 > no notification, and it appears to have sped things up a bit? </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>[quote user="mouse"]</p><p>Let me make that more coherent:</p><p> </p><p>[quote user="mouse"] I am very happy so far with my trial NOD32. The only issue it seems to have caused is that deleting emails from my inbox seems to temporarily (about 3 minutes) freeze up everything. I want to purchase the full deal, but I don't want to have the freeze-up whenever I delete a message. In case it's relevant, I use windows XP.   [/quote] [quote user="Peter Strömblad"]What email client are you using?[/quote] </p><p> </p><p>I use Pegasus version 4.41. Thank you :) </p>[/quote]

This may not be the right place to raise this but I've just read the various Norton threads and am amazed that they are still getting up to their old tricks.

Take a look at NOD32 (www.eset.com).

I've been using it for over six years and have never been infected (to my knowledge!). They don't try to fleece you every year with a 'new' version and certainly don't try to make you pay for support.

It's not perfect, no AV is, but it just works, with low overheads, hourly updates and the fastest scanning engine (written in assembler) there is.

The support forum can be found at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16.

This may not be the right place to raise this but I've just read the various Norton threads and am amazed that they are still getting up to their old tricks. Take a look at NOD32 (www.eset.com). I've been using it for over six years and have never been infected (to my knowledge!). They don't try to fleece you every year with a 'new' version and certainly don't try to make you pay for support. It's not perfect, no AV is, but it just works, with low overheads, hourly updates and the fastest scanning engine (written in assembler) there is. The support forum can be found at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16.

I'm currently trying out NOD32 but the email module seems to only apply to Outlook, do you know if there is a way to apply it to Pegasus?
Thanks.
Lynn

I'm currently trying out NOD32 but the email module seems to only apply to Outlook, do you know if there is a way to apply it to Pegasus? Thanks. Lynn

You don't have to apply it specifically to any MUA. The IMON module checks all traffic.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509 gives a great introduction to NOD and holds your hand through the settings. You don't need to apply them all but they will give you optimum protection until you know the product well enough to tweak it to your exact requirements.

You don't have to apply it [i]specifically[/i] to any MUA. The IMON module checks [i]all[/i] traffic. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509 gives a great introduction to NOD and holds your hand through the settings. You don't need to apply them all but they will give you optimum protection until you know the product well enough to tweak it to your exact requirements.

On my WinXP machine using NOD32 with IMON setup with defaults works properly with Pegasus. If a cc myself I will see the footer showing that NOD did scan the emails. Thus far in the last 5 years not a single problem with virus, erasure of Pegasus files etc. Happy paid user.

On the Win98 laptop I run f-prot also without problems. Emails are scanned both incoming and outgoing.

The reason for two different antivirus application running (on different machines) is now I can scan via the local lan with the other scanner as a CYA.

On my WinXP machine using NOD32 with IMON setup with defaults works properly with Pegasus. If a cc myself I will see the footer showing that NOD did scan the emails. Thus far in the last 5 years not a single problem with virus, erasure of Pegasus files etc. Happy paid user. On the Win98 laptop I run f-prot also without problems. Emails are scanned both incoming and outgoing. The reason for two different antivirus application running (on different machines) is now I can scan via the local lan with the other scanner as a CYA.

I've also found NOD32 lightweight, fast, and reliable. It also always gets very good scores in independent tests. The other one's that's light on system resources but very effective is Kaspersky. And if funds are tight Grisoft's AVG is free to home users.

But no way will I use anything from Symantec or McAfee. I've read that the Norton corporate AV product is good. The same can't be said for the home version. They got in a features war with McAfee and both "security suites" do far more than anyone needs and do it badly. In addition, Norton internet Security is a pig to uninstall - just look what you have to go through to get it off a system: 

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_pc.html

No way should that sort of nonsense be necessary.

<p>I've also found NOD32 lightweight, fast, and reliable. It also always gets very good scores in independent tests. The other one's that's light on system resources but very effective is Kaspersky. And if funds are tight Grisoft's AVG is free to home users.</p><p>But no way will I use anything from Symantec or McAfee. I've read that the Norton corporate AV product is good. The same can't be said for the home version. They got in a features war with McAfee and both "security suites" do far more than anyone needs and do it badly. In addition, Norton internet Security is a pig to uninstall - just look what you have to go through to get it off a system: </p><p>http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_pc.html</p><p>No way should that sort of nonsense be necessary.</p>

Thanks for that [:)]

I thought that may be the case but wanted to be sure.
Cheers!

Lynn 

<p>Thanks for that [:)]</p><p>I thought that may be the case but wanted to be sure. Cheers!</p><p>Lynn </p>

Fortunately for me I had abandoned  all Symantec products about three or four years ago and missed the whole NAV false positive issue. I had found Symantec's products to be getting too expensive and causing too many problems with my systems. After some investigation I decided to go with Avast anti-virus.  I have been very happy with them and have been suggesting Avast to all my friends.  They have a free version for home users and a paid version for business users.  One thing that is really nice is that they have multi-year licenses so you can register for like four years and not have to think about this again for a long time.

Fortunately for me I had abandoned  all Symantec products about three or four years ago and missed the whole NAV false positive issue. I had found Symantec's products to be getting too expensive and causing too many problems with my systems. After some investigation I decided to go with <a href="http://avast.com" mce_href="http://avast.com">Avast anti-virus</a>.  I have been very happy with them and have been suggesting Avast to all my friends.  They have a free version for home users and a paid version for business users.  One thing that is really nice is that they have multi-year licenses so you can register for like four years and not have to think about this again for a long time.

We've also ditched Symantec for several reasons and bundle Nod32 with the machines that we sell.

We've also ditched Symantec for several reasons and bundle Nod32 with the machines that we sell.

I fully agree with all these posts.  After you install and setup any AV software the next time you hear from it should only be when it detects a threat IMHO.  NOD32 fulfills that requirement completely.  It is fast, unintrusive, uses minimum resources and does the job better than those huge packages like McAfee and Norton.  Norton is a complete PITA to remove, it stinks at detecting unknowns, is a huge resource hog and constantly has something to say when it should just shut up.  ie: installing new SAFE software.  Talk about large footprint??  Norton stomps around in the background like the YETI.  McAfee might be a little better although not by much. 

NOD32 is great!  I could, however, do without the free advertising it provides for itself on all my emails.[:|]

<P>I fully agree with all these posts.  After you install and setup any AV software the next time you hear from it should only be when it detects a threat IMHO.  NOD32 fulfills that requirement completely.  It is fast, unintrusive, uses minimum resources and does the job better than those huge packages like McAfee and Norton.  Norton is a complete PITA to remove, it stinks at detecting unknowns, is a huge resource hog and constantly has something to say when it should just shut up.  ie: installing new SAFE software.  Talk about large footprint??  Norton stomps around in the background like the YETI.  McAfee might be a little better although not by much. </P> <P>NOD32 is great!  I could, however, do without the free advertising it provides for itself on all my emails.[:|]</P>

[quote user="Dirty Harry"]

NOD32 is great!  I could, however, do without the free advertising it provides for itself on all my emails.[:|]

[/quote]

I hadn't seen this, DH.  I took a look in IMON--EMON only scans Outlook mail--and found there's an option for "append[ing] tag messages to email". By default, which I hadn't realized, it only scans mail using port 110, which is not the port used by my only current POP3 account. Anyway there are three options for this "tagging":

No notification

Infected email only

All email

So, by the looks, go to:

IMON > Setup > POP3

and change the default for tagging, if you don't want to see that message. 

[quote user="Dirty Harry"]<p>NOD32 is great!  I could, however, do without the free advertising it provides for itself on all my emails.[:|]</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I hadn't seen this, DH.  I took a look in IMON--EMON only scans Outlook mail--and found there's an option for "append[ing] tag messages to email". By default, which I hadn't realized, it only scans mail using port 110, which is not the port used by my only current POP3 account. Anyway there are three options for this "tagging":</p><p> </p><p>No notification</p><p>Infected email only</p><p>All email</p><p> </p><p>So, by the looks, go to:</p><p> </p><p>IMON > Setup > POP3</p><p> </p><p>and change the default for tagging, if you don't want to see that message. </p><p> </p><p>  </p>

[quote user="Mike"]

So, by the looks, go to:

IMON > Setup > POP3

and change the default for tagging, if you don't want to see that message. 

[/quote]

Yup, that worked.  Thanks

[quote user="Mike"] <P>So, by the looks, go to:</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>IMON > Setup > POP3</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>and change the default for tagging, if you don't want to see that message. </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Yup, that worked.  Thanks</P>

I am very happy so far with my trial NOD32. The only issue it seems to have caused is that deleting emails from my inbox seems to temporarily (about 3 minutes) freeze up everything. I want to purchase the full deal, but I don't want to have the freeze-up whenever I delete a message.

<p>I am very happy so far with my trial NOD32. The only issue it seems to have caused is that deleting emails from my inbox seems to temporarily (about 3 minutes) freeze up everything. I want to purchase the full deal, but I don't want to have the freeze-up whenever I delete a message. </p><p>In case it's relevant, I use windows XP.  </p>

Let me make that more coherent:

[quote user="mouse"]

[/quote]

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]What email client are you using?[/quote]

I use Pegasus version 4.41. Thank you :) 

<p>Let me make that more coherent:</p><p> </p><p>[quote user="mouse"] I am very happy so far with my trial NOD32. The only issue it seems to have caused is that deleting emails from my inbox seems to temporarily (about 3 minutes) freeze up everything. I want to purchase the full deal, but I don't want to have the freeze-up whenever I delete a message. In case it's relevant, I use windows XP.   [/quote] [quote user="Peter Strömblad"]What email client are you using?[/quote] </p><p> </p><p>I use Pegasus version 4.41. Thank you :) </p>

Interesting comment about Kaspersky ... I tried it once on my lappy 2500 Athlon 64 ... so it was no slouch, but real time scanning with KAV really put a load on the system.

I was not impressed.

<p>Interesting comment about Kaspersky ... I tried it once on my lappy 2500 Athlon 64 ... so it was no slouch, but real time scanning with KAV really put a load on the system.</p><p>I was not impressed.  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft